GO TO on a Vista Hcx

casey97

Have a couple of questions about my Vista Hcx. First of all, when zoomed in at a cache near a road the GPS pointer does not leave the road. The GPS navigates me through the roads to get to the cache, and then I recalculate but select “off road”. OR I stop navigation and select go to and off road.

Second once I select "go to" there appears a colored line from my current point to the cache (turn in the road or whatever I am navigating to). This line does not update, but remains and shows where I was to where I am going, instead of the line end continuing to move with me/the pointer.

Software Ver. 2.60

GPS Software Ver. 2.30

UNIT ID a bunch of numbers I won't share

Does anyone have any clues or suggestions?

Thanks

Second once I select "go to" there appears a colored line from my current point to the cache (turn in the road or whatever I am navigating to). This line does not update, but remains and shows where I was to where I am going, instead of the line end continuing to move with me/the pointer.

The first point sounds normal. For the second one, though, it sounds like you're in map-panning mode. This would happen if you were on the map page, and then moved the cursor with the click-stick. When you do that, it assumes that you want to pan around and look at stuff, so it stops updating the map as your position changes. Try pressing the Page button (upper right); then should get you out of pan mode and back into normal map-page mode, and your current position should update as you move.

If your GPS software version is really 2.3, then you should update. The current versions are 2.6 and 2.6. You'll probably need to use the WebUpdater to get it.

the unit software is 2.3 this is specific to the unit and can not be updated. the software version is 2.6 and is as current as I can make it. to explain the go to problem: if i select go to and off road, a line will appear from where i am at that moment to the waypoint. if i travel 1 mile the line does not move with me, but remains 1 mile back.

the unit software is 2.3 this is specific to the unit and can not be updated. the software version is 2.6 and is as current as I can make it. to explain the go to problem: if i select go to and off road, a line will appear from where i am at that moment to the waypoint. if i travel 1 mile the line does not move with me, but remains 1 mile back.

This is the standard way GPS systems work. When you do a go to, it gives you a direct course from your current location to the waypoint. Then, as you move off the course, you are moving from the "optimal" route. If you want something always pointing you toward the waypoint, I would suggest using the compass page and not the map page.

--Bill

If your GPS software version is really 2.3, then you should update. The current versions are 2.6 and 2.6. You'll probably need to use the WebUpdater to get it.

the unit software is 2.3 this is specific to the unit and can not be updated. the software version is 2.6 and is as current as I can make it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I doubt it's "specific to the unit". I have a Vista HCx (a relatively early serial number), and I have GPS software version 2.6 and system software version 2.6. I had to run WebUpdater to get the GPS software updated.

This is the standard way GPS systems work. When you do a go to, it gives you a direct course from your current location to the waypoint. Then, as you move off the course, you are moving from the "optimal" route. If you want something always pointing you toward the waypoint, I would suggest using the compass page and not the map page.

--Bill

Not the way this model works (or any other Etrex / 60 AFAIK). The "go to..off road" line will move as you move. I'd suggest updating th gps software firmware (2.60 is the most current..hardware AND software), and turn "lock to road" off.

I don't understand the question in the first paragraph. What you describe is a normal characteristic of the Garmin GPS models, handheld or dashmount. I guess what you're asking is why won't the GPS automatically stop navigating on the road when you reach the closest point to the cache, then switch to off-road mode. In a perfect world...

The hermit crabs answered your question correctly for the 2nd paragraph (post#3).