What this forum needs is more NATURE PICS!

Well, I'm glad the pic is gone so that I can now show all of these great nature pictures to my young daughters. No deep socio-political-religious-conspiracy issues involved, I think they just want the board to be OK for entire families ... = "family friendly".

That up-close of that flower is awesome, Robert, the detail on the pollen is really amazing. My close-ups are never in focus ... grrrrrr.

StumpWater

Remember to set the camera on "Flower"! Mine can get to less than 1 inch...an amazing feature that I did not know of when I made the impulse buy. An outstanding surprise for me since Macro is my speciality!!

That up-close of that flower is awesome, Robert, the detail on the pollen is really amazing.

Agreed -- I had a psychosomatic allergic reaction to it. My eyes actually got itchy just looking at it!

I guess you wouldn't want to see the full 7mp version. Some of these are also hosted in a larger format at Photobucket under writeshoprobert

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
Watch me get banished again...

<moderator note>

If you notice you weren't. You are still posting, right?

If you keep harping on it and derailing the topic, you might though.

</moderator note>

And for your viewing pleasure to stick to the topic...

Taken earlier this week in a Newport News Park (VERY cache friendly folks at the parks!).

a04efddb-1116-4fc9-b675-1cfad80c129f.jpg

Just across the bay in Hampton Roads at the VA Tech Tidewater Arboretum.

874b251e-e74b-4168-b6df-c164d76f397b.jpg

3291699e-6401-4015-82b8-1735955c63e9.jpg

a7dd6480-5d98-4365-8530-f51b28f79d78.jpg

I liked how the side lighting showed the detail in the white part of the flower on this one. This small picture does not do the full size image justice.

Got to love geocaching. Those were just from this week.

That last one highlights one of the problems I often have, I'm so close there is no depth of field, but yours is better, the white petals are still fairly well focused. Good one.

1cf4859f-d97d-4046-aa89-de8fff843c1d.jpg

How do I post larger pictures on here? These are cut down severly, even from a 3.1MP camera! :)

Skisidedown.

OK next time try your macro on those blue flowers...I'd love to get my lense on those. To get a larger final image in the geocaching website, resize the images to the maximun allowed by the site BEFORE you upload them, if you let the website do it, they will be smaller and more degraded. Don't change your original, just save the resized image as a copy.

What we really need is a simple way to upload pix for the purpose of posting in the forims.

Uploading them to a cache page just to put them on the forums is a little ridiculous not to mention slow and awkward. Doing so clutters up a cache page with irrelevant photos.

Hosting pix off site results in a lot of broken links.

I think a "GC photobucket" would really be cool with bulk uploading of perhaps ten images at a time and browsing application to view the pictures.

We have a LOT of good photographers and a LOT of good subject matter related to the game. An easy to use photo showcase would be a HUGE asset IMO.

I wrote to Groundspeak once about the possibility of creating a feature to view a slideshow of a users gallery instead of having to visit each log individually. My guess is that they don't want to move that far into photo hosting, so maybe a partnershop with an existing site is in order, or "Super Premium Memberships". I've long thought that the site could raise the fee for memberships at another level with more features for a higher price.

I've been uploading the ones not already in logs to a log I wrote on one of my archived Events that never took place anyway.

How do I post larger pictures on here? These are cut down severly, even from a 3.1MP camera! :unsure:

Skisidedown.

OK next time try your macro on those blue flowers...I'd love to get my lense on those. To get a larger final image in the geocaching website, resize the images to the maximun allowed by the site BEFORE you upload them, if you let the website do it, they will be smaller and more degraded. Don't change your original, just save the resized image as a copy.

Thank you - I should have known that, from posting on another forum site, but brain fade got in there. Those are violets, and I should be able to get a picture of them again in about four months! I should have at least cropped the top off that photo to remove the boat.

Those first three were taken with a Sony DSC-72, and I never did get the results from the macro that I thought I should. I am finding my H9 easier to get focused on what I really want. Being able to shoot about 50 shots of one subject on a 4G memory stick helps too - and nobody sees the bad ones! :laughing: (Bad, shots - I don't take bad shots! :laughing: )

SSD.

Edited by skisidedown

If you upload them to GC.com, they will be reduced to decrease server load. To post larger pictures, you have to host them somewhere yourself. I host larger pictures on my own web site.

For example, here is a thumbnail picture of an image I have on my web site.

DSCN5182thru86.jpg

If you click this link below, you will see the full size image that you see if you click the thumbnail on my site. If your browser resizes images automatically to fit the screen (most do now), you will most certainly have to enlarge it to see the full size image. Yes, this is a view standing at a geocache just west of Vegas in the Red Rocks area...

Click this link to see the full size image, 750 kb image.

Thanks again.

I had a look through your page. I knew that I had a lot to learn, but now I have a LOT to learn!

SSD.

I always (well, almost always) remember to set it to "flower". I dunno, something's up. Maybe I' too close, maybe it's something about the flash, who knows.

Well, I'm glad the pic is gone so that I can now show all of these great nature pictures to my young daughters. No deep socio-political-religious-conspiracy issues involved, I think they just want the board to be OK for entire families ... = "family friendly".

That up-close of that flower is awesome, Robert, the detail on the pollen is really amazing. My close-ups are never in focus ... grrrrrr.

StumpWater

Remember to set the camera on "Flower"! Mine can get to less than 1 inch...an amazing feature that I did not know of when I made the impulse buy. An outstanding surprise for me since Macro is my speciality!!

What we really need is a simple way to upload pix for the purpose of posting in the forims.

Uploading them to a cache page just to put them on the forums is a little ridiculous not to mention slow and awkward. Doing so clutters up a cache page with irrelevant photos.

I think a "GC photobucket" would really be cool with bulk uploading of perhaps ten images at a time and browsing application to view the pictures.

We have a LOT of good photographers and a LOT of good subject matter related to the game. An easy to use photo showcase would be a HUGE asset IMO.

Upload them to your profile page. You can put as many pics in your photo file as you like there, but only one is activated for your profile page. The rest just sit in the background, but it's a place to link from without having to put them on a cache page. Yup, it's slow and cumbersome, but it's free photo storage and hosting that works for this site.

Still, if it's a pic from a cache, why not post it to the cache? and if your pic is 'irrelevant' to the cache page, then how is it relevant to a thread about caching pictures?

Upload them to your profile page. You can put as many pics in your photo file as you like there, but only one is activated for your profile page. The rest just sit in the background, but it's a place to link from without having to put them on a cache page. Yup, it's slow and cumbersome, but it's free photo storage and hosting that works for this site.

Still, if it's a pic from a cache, why not post it to the cache? and if your pic is 'irrelevant' to the cache page, then how is it relevant to a thread about caching pictures?

Actually, this thread is about "nature pictures" not necessarily about "caching nature pictures" that is one instance of how a pic for a forum post can be irrelevant to caching.

So here's some of mine already uploaded:

ed02ca5f-c89a-484e-b49d-f10ad57a7d6d.jpg

db371e96-df6d-4369-9ac4-7c39e7020c18.jpg

14fc6261-80cb-4227-a294-a73928c6a2db.jpg

1653277_200.jpg

Take a guess as to the flower type and the circumstances under which I captured this apparition. For three days I had the park all to myself and took a risk in getting the image.

BlueDeuce, you need to let someone else take a stab at this. I'm sure you know cuz you've already seen it. :ph34r:

bluebellsunderwater.jpg

-it

Ok, so I think this is a photo of forget me knot flowers, and they are underwater, with little airbubbles still attached to some of the flowers. :laughing:

My camera is some cheap one that doesn't have an slr or alr like focus system on it. Yeah, I got the mountain and the flower. Here are a couple pics from cache hunts this past week:

l_350c7ab1e75a86022bef8bcf74c15617.jpg

l_e4aca884b9ada7f8d4b140d657be1326.jpg

l_baf2337c6fd66859f63d1589e31f09ad.jpg

l_af8c4d373307c1e0a241daf31bdf9cbe.jpg

l_9a378ad00cff041779d1c9ce55e9a974.jpg

l_145d083e24c3fc7daa3b9655aa68d202.jpg

Most of these are from a mill park. I am finding that mill parks are very serene and beautiful around here. I didn't even know they existed until I started Caching. Yet another great benefit!

Now, this is a topic I can get into! B)

Recent trip to Tucson (sunshine! warmth! cactus!) - did you know saguaro cactus don't grow their first arm until they're 75 yrs old? This was at Cholla Hill in Tucson Mountain Park:

d48e1359-c290-4440-b635-9f9e7b9bafb3.jpg

My normal winter in the Pacific Northwest; this is Lake Keechelus near Snoqualmie Pass in the Cascades, en route to Twin Lakes (via snowshoe):

16967746-e1c5-47eb-983a-446b363e6328.jpg

Mt Baker (north Cascades) across Iceberg Lake, early fall, near Iceberg Cache on the Fairy Trail:

e5564d94-cc57-4461-aa51-5a930a45c6a9.jpg

And a couple of flora pics from a fun trip to cache landing at tullis canyon, site of a B-17 plane crash in the Olympics:

Oregon grape leaves:

6db01ba0-4577-4e21-a059-92196b049a90.jpg

Snow plant (I think):

2862228f-17b4-4eda-9f13-163cc59f02cb.jpg

OK, I'll stop now.

What kind of camera do you use? Your pictures are so crisp, and the color is so pure. My camera takes pretty good pictures, but it seems more blury than yours.

The "Lame First Hides / take the 1st one seriously" thread prompted me to go back and look at all the logs and pictures from our first hide. One of the sights along the way to the cache is of a gorgeous swamp: it is full of dead trees, and covered with an incredibly bright green layer of either algae or pollen or something else. In the right light, it seems to be almost radioactively glowing. I've taken a few pictures of it, but they never come out as good as it looks in real life.

(WSR -- next time you're in central MA, how about if you swing by our North Vaughn Hill cache and take a few swamp pics? :laughing: )

Anyway, here's one that kind of gives a little inkling of what the swamp looks like. The interesting thing about it is that in this particular instance, I wasn't even trying to get a picture of the swamp at all; I was taking a picture of a tree that had been downed by a beaver. The tree had a yellow trail marker on it, which used to point to the trail, but now pointed directly into the swamp water. I posted it to advise cachers not to follow that particular trail marker. :laughing:

816119aa-0988-40ee-81ec-d9ae7e074fa9.jpg

The "Lame First Hides / take the 1st one seriously" thread prompted me to go back and look at all the logs and pictures from our first hide. One of the sights along the way to the cache is of a gorgeous swamp: it is full of dead trees, and covered with an incredibly bright green layer of either algae or pollen or something else. In the right light, it seems to be almost radioactively glowing. I've taken a few pictures of it, but they never come out as good as it looks in real life.

(WSR -- next time you're in central MA, how about if you swing by our North Vaughn Hill cache and take a few swamp pics? :laughing: )

Anyway, here's one that kind of gives a little inkling of what the swamp looks like. The interesting thing about it is that in this particular instance, I wasn't even trying to get a picture of the swamp at all; I was taking a picture of a tree that had been downed by a beaver. The tree had a yellow trail marker on it, which used to point to the trail, but now pointed directly into the swamp water. I posted it to advise cachers not to follow that particular trail marker. :laughing:

816119aa-0988-40ee-81ec-d9ae7e074fa9.jpg

I'll add it to my list! You're not just trying to lure me into the backwater to get rid of me, are you?

I'll add it to my list! You're not just trying to lure me into the backwater to get rid of me, are you?

Well, I'm not, certainly... but if you hear banjo music, it might be safest to just turn back. :laughing:

Edited by the hermit crabs

Well, I'm not, certainly... but if you hear banjo music, it might be safest to just turn back. :laughing:

Looks like I might be able to park the 70' truck across the street from "Ground Zero" puzzle? What is that place on the corner.

Well, I'm not, certainly... but if you hear banjo music, it might be safest to just turn back. :D

Looks like I might be able to park the 70' truck across the street from "Ground Zero" puzzle? What is that place on the corner.

That's Bolton Orchards. It'd be a bit of a hike from there. But you're right, that's probably about as close as you could get in a 70-foot truck :laughing:

Although I was still about a mile away from the cache at Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe I got several photos of this impressive piece of nature:

ba869767-eef2-4163-ac68-a1b8c7605f08.jpg

Although I don't have any photos of the area, I had been thinking about placing a Robin Hood themed cache on my in-laws property since they live on Nottingham Rd. (just off of Sherwood). The property is 25 acres of densely wooded land (except for a couple of clearings) at the top of one of the higher hills in the area. I got a phone call last night about some wildlife on the property. They were sitting in their living room and watched a bear drink from their pond, the wander toward their house, and stop near their driveway. My brother-in-law opened the door to get a photo and it ran off into the woods.

With NY Paddle Cache in mind, this is shot from one of my caches - sorry about the quality, but that was as good as I could do at the time.

And before anybody comments, no, the cache is not in a guardrail, and there is a nice view in the other direction!

be42a6ba-ef85-4d0b-9b55-f8226b80ee5d.jpg

Here is one from Bowring Park in St. John's, NL. The closest one was very pushy - keeping the little one safe, I guess. He (she?) only stopped advancing when I backed up a few feet. One of the kids had gotten a nip only a moment before - after I had warned them to not get too close. ;)

0544ae16-8793-4e78-8798-855b8af0dd64.jpg

Skisidedown

Edited by skisidedown

Cool thread; I'll play too.

5ab6cdb3-70d9-487f-b00f-a15dae80be83.jpg

Poconos Waterfall

cebb0b96-774e-421c-a2ad-2623e3652e17.jpg

two very young deer that came out of the woods to say hello at a pet cemetery cache in WV

40749899-36fd-4804-ac88-a60d15645bc9.jpg

Rhine Valley grapes on the vine

4e6012db-0cbe-498e-99d2-5e2673b04a93.jpg

And the grapevines

e12f1d4c-5751-4f1c-bfbd-7a58ad398afb.jpg

And possibly my favorite of all-a longleaf pine tree flowering

All these pictures were taken in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. I'll bet a lot of people (non-cachers) living in

this area have no idea they have these kinds of areas right under their noses.

c57be2db-b206-4cb4-8a40-5f6755b1e165.jpg

e1c69cbd-2f9a-4ce8-921f-0093cbaf5c79.jpg

e3edbe72-8870-4bdb-9b41-5c1fa6bd9b02.jpg

f415fd2d-4996-4034-ae83-f7f10c84c381.jpg

611ddf50-9bad-44f9-bc49-545a06fa64b8.jpg

4e47ba50-b5a9-4da3-9fe6-c6089c55ef68.jpg

70c86c95-3c8c-4a32-9909-2133313267b8.jpg

8877181b-6000-47b7-b1d1-6e7ad847f8b8.jpg

f08c3f45-d7de-4b61-9802-18df6183d5c5.jpg

49f2fa9a-5968-4a5c-828d-014343aca512.jpg

What a beautiful thread! Here's my contribution both from caches that we have not been able to get to. (Does it seem to anyone else that caches are far more beautiful when they are harder to reach?)

This was on the way to De-Hydration (GC1NQC5), the cache that never seems to fulfill its promise of someday dehydrating.

dehydration.jpg

Across this swamp we believe the The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (GCWK9G) cache rests, mocking us and our wimpy swamp-avoiding ways.

swampwalk.jpg

Seriously, though, I am so deeply interested in the swampy land here. I've never seen anything quite like it and I long to travel deeper inside. Though without good boots, that might be a bad idea.

Cherry Blossoms that made finding a micro a fragrant experience.

c48f67be-f65f-4a19-bee6-712841d5043f.jpg

Loving all these great pics! :sad: Here are a few of mine...I love Washington :lol:

Near Whatcom Falls, Bellingham, Washington

2812_1033419447341_1581060012_30068888_1401040_n.jpg

Deception Pass, Whidbey Island, Washington...one of my Earthcaches is located here.

n1581060012_30014772_5678.jpg

Sea Star on the Beach, Guemes Island, Washington

n1581060012_30015527_522.jpg

Snoqualmie Pass near the APE cache

n1581060012_30015528_1548.jpg

The following are all within the vicinity of the cache at Lake Ann, Washington. Took these during a backpacking trip in September:

Mt. Shuksan, Washington...my favourite Earthcache!

n1581060012_30014833_384.jpg

Glacial Arches on the Lower Curtis Glacier, Mt. Shuksan, Washington

n1581060012_30014832_9098.jpg

Alpenglow on Mt. Shuksan

n1581060012_30014831_7934.jpg

Mt. Baker

n1581060012_30014829_5146.jpg

Nature pics! Great!

We had a "bath" of Nature a couple of weeks ago, in Azores, Portugal. In the island of São Miguel.

We got 47 of the 49 caches. All of them GREAT! (even that urban nano). :blink:

Here's some pictures taken there:

View to the Atlantic Ocean

1b23d6f4-fa93-48e0-a6ef-a1947114fbd7.jpg

The Lagoa das Sete Cidades, two-colored lagoon

4b6a7235-94f8-40a6-80df-2b45adcaf254.jpg

297b65fd-923f-4645-bba2-d490a9073b70.jpg

d479b378-69fd-45f8-9fab-ba59f9dcb6f3.jpg

Lagoa das Furnas, a lagoon of an inactive crater of a vulcano.

767fe1f0-69cc-4275-a8b7-0bf5cd3211cb.jpg

And plenty more... Check our gallery.

We've seen here GREAT pictures. Well done, everyone!