What this forum needs is more NATURE PICS!

Now, this is a topic I can get into! :anibad:

Recent trip to Tucson (sunshine! warmth! cactus!) - did you know saguaro cactus don't grow their first arm until they're 75 yrs old? This was at Cholla Hill in Tucson Mountain Park:

d48e1359-c290-4440-b635-9f9e7b9bafb3.jpg

My normal winter in the Pacific Northwest; this is Lake Keechelus near Snoqualmie Pass in the Cascades, en route to Twin Lakes (via snowshoe):

16967746-e1c5-47eb-983a-446b363e6328.jpg

Mt Baker (north Cascades) across Iceberg Lake, early fall, near Iceberg Cache on the Fairy Trail:

e5564d94-cc57-4461-aa51-5a930a45c6a9.jpg

And a couple of flora pics from a fun trip to cache landing at tullis canyon, site of a B-17 plane crash in the Olympics:

Oregon grape leaves:

6db01ba0-4577-4e21-a059-92196b049a90.jpg

Snow plant (I think):

2862228f-17b4-4eda-9f13-163cc59f02cb.jpg

OK, I'll stop now.

Edited by hydnsek

Take a guess as to the flower type and the circumstances under which I captured this apparition. For three days I had the park all to myself and took a risk in getting the image.

BlueDeuce, you need to let someone else take a stab at this. I'm sure you know cuz you've already seen it. ;)

bluebellsunderwater.jpg

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

Oh, Nature. I thought it said Mature. Too bad.

You HAD to go there, I think this fits BOTH bills

(Image (nudecachers profile pic) removed by moderator), as inappropriate for FAMILY FRIENDLY forum.

???????????????????????????????????????????^Umm...Which Moderator?

Just returning to remove the image from nudecahers profile page, as another person asked me to in an email, but I see that it's been done for me. Thank you.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

(Image (nudecachers profile pic) removed by moderator), as inappropriate for FAMILY FRIENDLY forum.

Just returning to remove the image from nudecahers profile page, as another person asked me to in an email, but I see that it's been done for me. Thank you.

Anyway, just gotta note that the photo removed is hosted at Groundspeak, and while I did give it a moment's thought before I linked to it, I decided that if Groundspeak doesn't deem it inappropriate to host on their own website, then it should be ok in the forums. I guess opinions differ on that though. Sorry to offend anyone.

Anyway, just gotta note that the photo removed is hosted at Groundspeak, and while I did give it a moment's thought before I linked to it, I decided that if Groundspeak doesn't deem it inappropriate to host on their own website, then it should be ok in the forums. I guess opinions differ on that though. Sorry to offend anyone.

I don't think TPTB want more personal attacks on the fellow as seen here

Based on his gallery I bet you wouldn't see him looking in the winter! ;)

BTW...the OP said pics (or chocolate) and everyone has posted pics so far. On April 12th in Lewisburg, WV you can have CHOCOLATE!

Edited by cowcreekgeeks

You are unlikely to see him at a parking lot micro either, or maybe you will, I guess no one knows....

I don't think TPTB want more personal attacks on the fellow as seen here

Based on his gallery I bet you wouldn't see him looking in the winter! :unsure:

BTW...the OP said pics (or chocolate) and everyone has posted pics so far. On April 12th in Lewisburg, WV you can have CHOCOLATE!

I sorta feel the same way Robert. I got a 3 day break from the forums for posting a NC pic and a really weak and cheesy reason for the banishment from the mod that gave me the break. :lol: I got a 7 day break (and rightly so) from a different mod for making a comment in a different thread on what that previous mod could do to make up for it. :D Ummm, not sorry, but I deserved that one. :unsure::D

Edited by Snoogans

I sorta feel the same way Robert. I got a 3 day break from the forums for posting a NC pic and a really weak and cheesy reason for the banishment from the mod that gave me the break. :lol: I got a 7 day break (and rightly so) from a different mod for making a comment in a different thread on what that previous mod could do to make up for it. :D Ummm, not sorry, but I deserved that one. :unsure::D

I got a break for trying to clarify that a post that got me a warning was misunderstood by the moderator...

I just blew it off, but now seeing that the moderator who deleted my pic, also has deleted my question about which moderator deleted it, I think I'll be contacting Groundspeak. They are a for profit business, and should not be giving such unmitigated control over their customers to volunteers who do not even have to identify themselves to be held accountable. If that is the way it's to be, then there needs to be a paid employee responsible for forum moderation.

It just starts to make me wonder if the concerns are over the traditional definition of family, or the new (hijacked) definition...

Family Friendly=Christian Friendly,

Family Radio=Christian Radio,

Family Values=Christian Values,

Family Protection Act=Christian Potection Act,

Etc.

Watch me get banished again...

So anyway, the long and short of it is, any image that Groundspeak is willing to host on their site should also be allowed in these forums.

I guess that's a discussion for another thread(and not "Off Topic"), but it will probabaly get moderated out of existance.

Soooo, to get this thread back on topic....

Here are a couple not from Caching, but from another game I've started to play called ShutterSpot(at GPSgames.org)

1502_CandyCactusClsoeUp.JPG

ffa2fc9e-d4f2-4a5d-8c51-0f7fbe2623b4.jpg

The second one is the first shot that made me realize what my camera can do.

Well, I'm glad the pic is gone so that I can now show all of these great nature pictures to my young daughters. No deep socio-political-religious-conspiracy issues involved, I think they just want the board to be OK for entire families ... = "family friendly".

That up-close of that flower is awesome, Robert, the detail on the pollen is really amazing. My close-ups are never in focus ... grrrrrr.

StumpWater

<moderator note>

If you notice you weren't. You are still posting, right?

If you keep harping on it and derailing the topic, you might though.

</moderator note>

And for your viewing pleasure to stick to the topic...

Taken earlier this week in a Newport News Park (VERY cache friendly folks at the parks!).

a04efddb-1116-4fc9-b675-1cfad80c129f.jpg

Just across the bay in Hampton Roads at the VA Tech Tidewater Arboretum.

874b251e-e74b-4168-b6df-c164d76f397b.jpg

3291699e-6401-4015-82b8-1735955c63e9.jpg

a7dd6480-5d98-4365-8530-f51b28f79d78.jpg

I liked how the side lighting showed the detail in the white part of the flower on this one. This small picture does not do the full size image justice.

Got to love geocaching. Those were just from this week.

Somebody mentioned an iceberg cache, so here are the only iceberg pictures I have (yet). These were taken July 30, 2007, near GCG7J4. You can see some smaller ice chunks floating near the large berg. I just missed out on getting pictures or video of it calving - I will know what the cracking noises are the NEXT time I hear them!

1b9e2a7c-0fd1-4a38-b226-72946f40910a.jpg

664a3011-7c76-4667-b6bf-28f1acbc0ccc.jpg

1cf4859f-d97d-4046-aa89-de8fff843c1d.jpg

Oops, just one more from my new camera - trying out the macro setting - taken 2008/03/20.

a7750588-44cb-4801-8289-757995013282.jpg

How do I post larger pictures on here? These are cut down severly, even from a 3.1MP camera! :unsure:

Skisidedown.

Edited by skisidedown

If you upload them to GC.com, they will be reduced to decrease server load. To post larger pictures, you have to host them somewhere yourself. I host larger pictures on my own web site.

For example, here is a thumbnail picture of an image I have on my web site.

DSCN5182thru86.jpg

If you click this link below, you will see the full size image that you see if you click the thumbnail on my site. If your browser resizes images automatically to fit the screen (most do now), you will most certainly have to enlarge it to see the full size image. Yes, this is a view standing at a geocache just west of Vegas in the Red Rocks area...

Click this link to see the full size image, 750 kb image.

What we really need is a simple way to upload pix for the purpose of posting in the forims.

Uploading them to a cache page just to put them on the forums is a little ridiculous not to mention slow and awkward. Doing so clutters up a cache page with irrelevant photos.

Hosting pix off site results in a lot of broken links.

I think a "GC photobucket" would really be cool with bulk uploading of perhaps ten images at a time and browsing application to view the pictures.

We have a LOT of good photographers and a LOT of good subject matter related to the game. An easy to use photo showcase would be a HUGE asset IMO.

I sorta feel the same way Robert. I got a 3 day break from the forums for posting a NC pic and a really weak and cheesy reason for the banishment from the mod that gave me the break. :D I got a 7 day break (and rightly so) from a different mod for making a comment in a different thread on what that previous mod could do to make up for it. :D Ummm, not sorry, but I deserved that one. :D:)

I got a break for trying to clarify that a post that got me a warning was misunderstood by the moderator...

I just blew it off, but now seeing that the moderator who deleted my pic, also has deleted my question about which moderator deleted it, I think I'll be contacting Groundspeak. They are a for profit business, and should not be giving such unmitigated control over their customers to volunteers who do not even have to identify themselves to be held accountable. If that is the way it's to be, then there needs to be a paid employee responsible for forum moderation.

It just starts to make me wonder if the concerns are over the traditional definition of family, or the new (hijacked) definition...

Etc.

I am a Christian and I am not offended by Nudecacher or the photos he has posted.

You are wrong to blame Christians. I think you should probably get a "smaller brush."

Genesis 2:25

(I would link to a picture of a famous Michaelangelo painting on the Sistine Chapel, but I would probably get banished.)

I sorta feel the same way Robert. I got a 3 day break from the forums for posting a NC pic and a really weak and cheesy reason for the banishment from the mod that gave me the break. :D I got a 7 day break (and rightly so) from a different mod for making a comment in a different thread on what that previous mod could do to make up for it. :D Ummm, not sorry, but I deserved that one. :D:)

Etc.

I am a Christian and I am not offended by Nudecacher or the photos he has posted.

You are wrong to blame Christians. I think you should probably get a "smaller brush."

Genesis 2:25

(I would link to a picture of a famous Michaelangelo painting on the Sistine Chapel, but I would probably get banished.)

Just to clarify...I didn't mean to whack all Christians with my 12 inch paint roller, just wondering if these forums might be moderater by one of the types of Christians who have changed the meaning of the word Family to suit their own needs, in no way intending to say that all Christians are that way.

Notice that my wondering was tied to "The Concerns", meaning the concerns of the moderator who deleted my link to the picture. My statement was ony meant to refer to that individual