Copying entire UK MemoryMap to Mio

Delta68

This should be possible as it's about 3Gb and I have a 4Gb card. However, when I try transferring the map it just creates a temp file of about 400k and that's it! Nothing else seems to happen; even after an hour or so of the progress bar being displayed.

Anyone else had this problem?

This should be possible as it's about 3Gb and I have a 4Gb card. However, when I try transferring the map it just creates a temp file of about 400k and that's it! Nothing else seems to happen; even after an hour or so of the progress bar being displayed.

Copy the map files over using a card reader rather than activesync & the MM software.

As suggested use a card reader and transfer the file directly from the PC to the card. Active Sync is way too slow and normally fails just before it's finished! By the way, you only need the main .qct map file, which for the 1:50,000 regions is around 300-400Mbytes. Don't copy the aerial photos (if you have them) they won't work on pocket PC. You'll also need an .mmi file which is the placename index, but you can transfer that directly from Memory Map to the Mio whilst connected - 'PDA - Send all placenames to PDA'.

Chris

Only 3Gb? My maps on the PC take up about 15 Gb of storage space!

It takes a number of mintes for me to transfer over each map when I do it direct to the PDA. As suggested, I would try using a card reader and transferring to that - itsa lot quicker! Be warned that pocketNav may run rather slowly with that many maps on it (although I haven't tried!) It certainly ground to a halt when I transferred all 26000 UK caches to it by accident!

Good luck!

On the subject, I've always transferred my caches across directly (PDA -> Export Data to PDA). However, I know that separate overlays can be created and transferred manually - wehich might be useful on holiday, as I can create one overlay for the journey down, and one for when we're there... Is this fairly easy, and can anyone briefly instruct?

Cheers, and sorry for the hijack! Should be just about OT... :anibad:

SNIP

You'll also need an .mmi file which is the placename index, but you can transfer that directly from Memory Map to the Mio whilst connected - 'PDA - Send all placenames to PDA'.

Chris

This isn't actually essential I believe (I've never bothered) unless you want to search by placename on the PDA! I suspect I'll need it on hols!

Dave

Don't copy the aerial photos (if you have them) they won't work on pocket PC.

Aerial photos work the same as other maps (well, Region 1 does anyway). I find them extremely useful on Dartmoor, as you can see the tracks which have formed in addition to paths.

On the subject, I've always transferred my caches across directly (PDA -> Export Data to PDA). However, I know that separate overlays can be created and transferred manually - wehich might be useful on holiday, as I can create one overlay for the journey down, and one for when we're there... Is this fairly easy, and can anyone briefly instruct?

Cheers, and sorry for the hijack! Should be just about OT... :anibad:

Create a set for your destination are and the take a 'backup' on the pda itself.

Then load the set for your journey.

You can then re-load your backed-up set by double clicking it in file manager

I'll have a go at transferring the map directly tonight.

I thought it would be a lot more than 400mb as each map chunk using 'send visible portion' is about 50mb...

Some Mem Maps you have to draw a track around an area, then Send that Overlay to the PDA limiting to 400mb.

Nick

Aerial photos work?? My Mio won't open them! Mind you I only tried one so there may have been an issue copying it... not actually bothered as they'll take up too much space on the card.. but the geek in me is now curious to try again!! And once I've proved it does work I'll probably not do it again!!!

Chris

A few minutes later - copied an aerial photo qct to the memory card (sorry Delta88... only took a few minutes!)... but it won't open on the Mio... perhaps the screen res doesn't support it? Don't know. But I can live without them.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges