A CITO event idea

My intention is to set up a CITO event (even if not official) for approximately the 19th April - at this point could be up to 4 weeks later (due to people being already booked for that date).

The aim is to have a full CITO day where you have teams of 2 people who have to pay $10US (approx) per team. Each team will have to complete at least 1 cache on the day and there will be monetary prizes (from the entry fee's) for most rubbish, most interesting piece of rubbish, most weight of rubbish etc (feel free to offer more ideas) I plan on getting sponsorship for rubbish removal (trailers and free dumping) and loans of BBQ's for a potluck/bbq afterwards etc. The intention is to have this as a precursor event to give me any idea of problems I'll encounter and things I can work on for a larger CITO event of the same kind (aiming for 100 people) that is planned for sept/oct

Any ideas, thoughts or advice?

Take away the prizes and you won't need an entry fee. Performing CITO can be hard work and is a reward all in itself. I don't think people should have to pay to do hard work. My advice is to forget charging people and do it for love. Love of your park and you neighborhood. Keep the barbecue! Your town or park may donate the rubbish disposal if you ask. They might even offer you trucks and dumpsters. You shouldn't have to pay much to do this. If money is tight, tell everyone to pack their own lunch, and bring their own garbage bags. These things don't have to cost money. If you post it, they will come.

Also, check out the pinned threads up top, there is a handbook for CITO events.

I agree with Eartha, when planning a CITO the first step is to talk to the place you want to hold it. They may have another park that is more dire need of CITO than the one you are thinking of.

The CITO's I have planned or participated in we can get free trash bags from the park management. You may not need dumpsters, if you can get the trash to the parking lot or to a trail that a vehicle can be driven down the park will pick it up in the course of their daily operations within two days of the CITO. I've also seen CITO's where dumpsters and dump trucks have also been provided by park management free of charge.

There is nothing wrong with doing door prizes for most unusual item found as long as they are donated. Reading the CITO manual will help.

The Florida Geocaching Association donates an unactivated FGA geocoin and usually another swag item to CITOs in the state. If there's KIWI association, they might be amenable to the same idea (this assuming they have made a coin to donate).

People CITO for love of the outdoors, and as a service - prizes are pleasant, but not necessary.

I host a fair number of CITOs. It's easy, because it's generally free for me. Park management supplies bags and gloves, people bring their own food, FGA offers a coin. Cost to me is usually the gas to do a scouting trip.

I did plant two caches for my most recent CITO, none for the one before that.

KISS and that will encourage you, and others, to do it often.

Good luck!