What's a good low cost backpack?

fishdirt

I want to get a backpack for geocaching but nothing meant for school. I'd like to use it for hiking as well. I have no clue on brands or styles. I just know I want something with pockets and storage galore yet doesn't make me look awkward walking into a gas station with.

Also, later this year I will be going on a two day kayak trip. Any tips on tents, backpacks, floating devices and other supplies that will be ok if they end up in the water?

I guess you're looking for a smaller day pack.

The LL Bean Escape day pack is inexpensive and full of features. It is hydration system compatible so you can add a water bladder and hose, for hands free hydration while hiking and also has 2 water bottle pockets that you can use for water bottles, or easy access to digital cameras, GPS and other small items.

M48798_Night_Graphite.jpg

Haha, nice Meijer pack. Actually I currently use a colombian tote bag? Not sure what it's called but others and myself call it a purse. It's a jumble though when looking through it. How women do it is beyond me.

A day pack is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info ;)

I want to get a backpack for geocaching but nothing meant for school. I'd like to use it for hiking as well. I have no clue on brands or styles. I just know I want something with pockets and storage galore yet doesn't make me look awkward walking into a gas station with.

Also, later this year I will be going on a two day kayak trip. Any tips on tents, backpacks, floating devices and other supplies that will be ok if they end up in the water?

Your best bet would to be to go to an outdoor gear specialty dealer, this would not be a place like Wallmart. Try a dealer like REI or some other backpacking specialty shop. Then try some on.

As far as storage galore this means large size and looking akward when walking, this means the fit is very critical.

I have an Outdoor Products model, which I think is now discontinued, that I got from Campmor. I've bought many kinds of outdoor and river gear from them; they've always had good selections, good prices, and fine service. (I use Seal drypacks for most of my gear; ammo cases for the stuff that's not super-critical if it gets damp.)

I'm an REI freak because it's good quality and less priced. Try their outlet store online. I bought my 6000 cu in (for heavy loads and week-long trips) pack for only $125.00; a discontinued model on sale. These discontinued items are great bargains and will last a lifetime.

6000 cu in. is going to be to large for a two day trip.

As far as the Kayak trip, you will at least need a dry bag to store your gear while on the water. If you are going to a guide service, ask them what you will need for the trip.

And now on to this part of your question..."good low cost back pack" you get what you pay for, it you are going to carry a lot of stuff in most cases this means weight. Weight means a higher quality back pack and a high quality back pack means it will not be a low cost back pack

6000 cu in. is going to be to large for a two day trip.

As far as the Kayak trip, you will at least need a dry bag to store your gear while on the water. If you are going to a guide service, ask them what you will need for the trip.

And now on to this part of your question..."good low cost back pack" you get what you pay for, it you are going to carry a lot of stuff in most cases this means weight. Weight means a higher quality back pack and a high quality back pack means it will not be a low cost back pack

Yes, I agree. I wasn't suggesting 6000 cu in, just saying I got a nice quality large volume at good price. The outlet carries a good selection of day packs and medium volumes as well and their quality is very good. Getting one pack for both trail and kayak is more of a challenge. Dry bags are always useful to have even for backpacking for such things as first aid kits and clothes. Also agree that if you're using a guide service just ask them.

I would highly recommend the L.L. Bean Bigelow packs. They come in top loader and panel loader. They are classified as a "day-hike" pack but you could easily use this pack for over nighters or more. They are fairly basic but are comfortable and have good compression. The best part is that they are only 70 bucks. I have 4 backpacks (all of them were much more expensive and 1 of them was even 3 times the price) and unless I'm going for a weekend and want to bring luxuries, I opt for my Bigelow every time.

Not a very good view but here is a picture of a Bigelow in Forest Green and mine in Carbon.

DesertHiking013.jpg

:angry: Hey fishdirt I have a swiss army surplus backpack. It cost me about 20 bucks at the Brainerd army store in Chattanooga. It's tough with leather straps and rubber coated to make it water proof. You can carry a lot of gear but not look too awkward. It's perfect for me. You might want to check it out. Good luck. Jailer man

CamelBaks are very nice, and impressively sturdy. (In case you didn't know, they're built around a water bladder with a drinking tube so you don't have to carry bottles.) I got mine in March and have pretty much beaten the heck out of it with no ill effects or exterior damage, and highly recommend them. My particular model, the Rogue, is designed to be a lightweight cycle-racing pack with a good-size reservoir but smaller pockets, with room for small trinkets or individually-wrapped food but little else. It's perfect for me because I'm a long-distance runner, and benefit from the light weight and good fit during cache-dashes. I'm sure a mid-sized version would suit your purposes just fine.

See if you can get your hands on a Deuter pack. I've had my Deuter for a few years and love it. I also used to work in a returns department for an outdoor store and of all the packs that got returned with faults, Deuter were by far the rarest.

Like others have said L.L.Bean but here's a few more to consider; High Sierra and Kelty. I have a High Sierra which is about ten years old and still hasn't worn at all despite being thrown around stomped on, used as a pillow, well you get the idea. Just recently picked up a Kelty daypack so we'll see how it holds up.

I have a Kelty 'Cardinal' that I picked up earlier this year.

I chose it because it is so versatile. It came with a detachable shoulder strap so you can carry it like a sidebag/purse, regular back pack straps and a waist strap. It's expandable so for just regular day hikes or urban caching I can use just the bottom half and wear it with the waist strap like a belly pack only backwards.

When I need more space, I can unzip the one zipper and it expands to almost three times the carrying capacity giving me enough room for camera, rain poncho, lunch etc. and I switch it to regular back pack carrying style. It's got two mesh outside pockets that are designed for the water bottles that came with and another smallish outside compartment that I use for my keys.

It's nowhere near the size I need for interior overnight camping but it sure is great for day trips.

I would suggest nothing bigger then the 35L-40L pack with water bladder pocket and plenty of hooks on the outside for a pack. I used the MEC Spirit 40 Backpack for my weekend trip to the Ishpatina Ridge earth cache this weekend that just past (posting our find tonight once I get the photos off the camera). It was reasonably water resistent, and with the external hooks and straps, allowed for the attachement of our tent, trek poles and a dry sack with the sleeping bags.

For kayaking, pickup a couple heavy duty dry sacks and leave the pack at home. The heavy dry sacks work great, and you can toss them in the bottom of the boat without worries. They also float pretty well when you flip your boat. A small clear pellican case is nice to strap down on the front deck of your boat. Keep stuff like keys, cell phone, GPS, or other items you may want to access while traveling dry and easy to access.

I would recommend Camelbak as well. I have a MULE, which is smaller than the "hiking" ones but it has a nice open web pouch, easy to stuff things in and pull things out (like my poncho if rain is a possibility). The water bladder works great, mine keeps water/ice cold for like 6 hours or more. I only use it for day hikes and keep in my car for geocaching.

For backpacking I have a nice external frame, old (hiking/camping for 40 yrs) but reliable comfortable. Of course I look like a peddler on the trail.

If I think I am going to be wet, I pack in a dry sack, remove the divider in my pack and put the dry sack in my pack. Only way I have found to keep things dry in days of rain on the trail. I put my baldder from the Camelbak in my pack as well, does not stay cold....

Edited by easytrekker

A vote for Osprey, I have an atmos 50 and use it for weekend hikes, week hikes and day hikes. I have a Camelbak mule as well, nice enough for cache outings.

Keep in mind the tendancy to buy big leads to the tendancy to carry heavy. You really don't need much on a weekend hike, Ive honed my weight down to about 19 pounds before water.

For kayak trips you just need some water proof bags, and bungees.

nobody's mentioned steepandcheap.com yet? Yeesh...this guy needs to know about it. Can get very nice gear on blowout prices.

I like packs. I have a handful of them for different things.

I have an Osprey Atmos 50 for <1wk backpacking

REI Lookout for long day hikes/possible overnights

Osprey Talon 22 for most day hiking and long mountain bike rides

Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack for short day hiking

Camelbak MULE for most mountain bike rides

You will want dry bags for your kayak trip...ones that are small enough to fit into the hatches of the kayak. Other than making sure it fits in the storage hatches, gear selection for kayak camping is not very different from backpacking.

D'oh! I missed that it was a 2 year old thread too! The information is still good though! I appreciate the pack ideas!

Good info, for sure. The main thing is to find a reputable dealer, REI or EMS are the main national stores, I hit Campmor, an hour north of me.

A quality store will load a pack for you and let you hangput awhile to check for comfort, or bring your own gear and check for size/comfort, good luck.

doh! I should know better than to think that a thread with almost 30 posts would appear in this board in just a couple of days.

Oh well, I like your choice in packs, I have to check out the smaller Osprey. Cowboy fan? Sadly I am, in NY Giant country, not easy this year.

goodness no. I could never root for the Cowgirls. Colts fan here.

That Atmos really seems to fit me well, though from what I understand, I don't think too many people with a waist over 34" or so wear it comfortably since the metal bits seem to dig in at the hips. I'm a 32" at most so it rides on my hips just right.

doh! I should know better than to think that a thread with almost 30 posts would appear in this board in just a couple of days.

Oh well, I like your choice in packs, I have to check out the smaller Osprey. Cowboy fan? Sadly I am, in NY Giant country, not easy this year.

goodness no. I could never root for the Cowgirls. Colts fan here.

That Atmos really seems to fit me well, though from what I understand, I don't think too many people with a waist over 34" or so wear it comfortably since the metal bits seem to dig in at the hips. I'm a 32" at most so it rides on my hips just right.

I am from Balitmore.... Dont get me started on the Colts :huh::blink: