Which is best?

Well, I use a Palm Tungsten E2 for paperless caching. I've had very few issues (none because of Cachemate). But not because I did any fancy comparisons. I've used Palms since the III model so it just was natural. I finally decided to stay with namebrand hardware now primarily because most software is written to the "favorites" (case in point: the "export to GPS" function on each cache page - it only supports Garmin). Not to say other PDAs won't work - I have no basis for comparison.

I have had a Palm m500 for more than six years and have never had a problem with it, or Cachemate. Now I also have a Palm m515. Either one of those PDAs can be purchased for less than $40.00 on eBay. Unless you need a fancier, more-expensive PDA for something else, the inexpensive Palms, that connect to your computer with USB, are just fine. :huh:

To best use Cachemate and GSAK, should I get a PDA with Windows OS or Palm?

I bought an iPaq and later a Palm. I consider the iPaq a huge, huge waste of money and I consider the Palm a cheap, cheap perfect choice. Many differences between them but the main one is power. The iPaq needs to be plugged in at the end of the day, non replaceable battery and you don’t really want it to fully discharge. The Palm uses replaceable batteries plus it is very stingy with it’s use of them. I use GSAK to load both, I use cachemate on the Palm and Explorer on the iPaq and think both work just fine for caching.

Your mileage and that of others may vary greatly and the opinions expressed here may not necessarily represent that of any “sane” person living or dead. :huh:

To best use Cachemate and GSAK, should I get a PDA with Windows OS or Palm?

Both will work.

If your primary use is paperless caching. Palm is cheap and does the job well.

If you are going to use it as a PDA and do a lot of other things as well...Pocket PC may win out. They tend to have a better feature set among the modern PDA's. However even if you use it as a PDA let your needs win out. Don't buy better than you need. Both Pocket PC and Palm will work as a PDA. Palms getting a bit dated and tends to have less features. That makes them less pricey so if you need less you can buy less.

I haven't used either system for geocaching, but be aware that the PalmOS world is dieing. Even the latest Palm Tungsten devices now use Windows Mobile, and not PalmOS. If all you want to do is run a specific application, and you are not worried about updates or new things in the future, they are a fantastic deal. Many are available on the used market for very low prices. I use some older Palms (Palm V and a Visor Edge) for timing in a 12-person long distance relay race, and a Palm TX for moving map navigation while flying. For these single applications, they work great.

--Bill