Garmin 60csx: Inaccurate arrow

When using the go-to [off road] feature I use the countdown of the numbers to find the selected waypoint because the arrow points in the opposite direction more often then in the right direction. No matter how careful I am to keep it level or being sure to walk in a straight line, or changing directions to get it to recalculate etc. nothing seems to make the arrow any more accurate. Any tips here? (other then *don’t watch it anymore* :huh: )

1. Calibrate the compass.

2. Check the heading setting for speed/seconds.

3. Install the firmware update which fixes a compass issue.

Thanks for the assist. I did recalculate the compass, set up a waypoint and the arrow worked like a charm but once I had passed (intentionally) the way mark the arrow would not swing back although all the numbers, just as before, were very accurate. I recalculated the compass a few more times and the same thing happened each time.

When using the go-to [off road] feature I use the countdown of the numbers to find the selected waypoint because the arrow points in the opposite direction more often then in the right direction. No matter how careful I am to keep it level or being sure to walk in a straight line, or changing directions to get it to recalculate etc. nothing seems to make the arrow any more accurate. Any tips here? (other then *don’t watch it anymore* :huh: )

Someone suggested to me to switch to the map page when you get close and monitor the coords. Of course if the accuracy fluctuates you can watch your destination "drift away". So I guess if the accuracy is not consistant you need to rely on your geosence. Good luck.

When using the go-to [off road] feature I use the countdown of the numbers to find the selected waypoint because the arrow points in the opposite direction more often then in the right direction. No matter how careful I am to keep it level or being sure to walk in a straight line, or changing directions to get it to recalculate etc. nothing seems to make the arrow any more accurate. Any tips here? (other then *don’t watch it anymore* :anibad: )

Mine did that pretty frequently as well. I got in the habit of recalibrating the compass every time I turned on the unit although Garmin suggests only doing so when you travel 100+ miles, experience a large temperature change, and every time you change the batteries. Remember to calibrate as per the instructions, away from vehicles, buildings, etc., and with a clear view of the sky. Sometimes if you walk too slowly or stand still, the 60csx seems to get confused when it's switching between the electronic and magnetic compass. Instructions on adjusting the time it takes to switch between electronic and magnetic compass are found on page 49 of your manual.

~moon

When using the go-to [off road] feature I use the countdown of the numbers to find the selected waypoint because the arrow points in the opposite direction more often then in the right direction. No matter how careful I am to keep it level or being sure to walk in a straight line, or changing directions to get it to recalculate etc. nothing seems to make the arrow any more accurate. Any tips here? (other then *don’t watch it anymore* :anibad: )

How far are you from the cache when the magnetic compass goes haywire? On my Summit HC, I get a really good direction indication until I am about 10 metres from GZ.

For more details, see this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3375609

Edited by julianh