Just Purchased Garmin Vista HCx,,,AND

gcpd957

As stated above i just dropped 349.99 on the Garmin Vista Hcx Model bundled with topo 2008,carry case,etc etc. Being new to GPS im starting to second guess my purchase based on a select few reviews that i have read on this model and its inadequicies (spelled wrong i know). Just wanted to get some info from first hand users as there seem to be a few on here. I'll be using it for off roading,hiking, and once i completely figure it out geocaching in the North Georgia Mountain area. I tend to go off the beaten path in search of new and exciting places so my main concern is gonna be satellite aquisition. I had a Garmin 60csx for a short while but i rid of it due to its ungodly size and too many features i figured id never use, kinda now regret it partly due to it being hailed as one of the best. My cousins Delorme Earthmate is pretty sweet too but i have heard the chipset is not that great. Just looking for reassurance in short, and i look forward to getting to geocaching here soon! Any response would be awsome!

Well guess what. The Vista HCx has about the same amount of features as the 60CSx. The primary differences are size and button arrangement. They also use a different chipset from two different manufactures, but the end result is virtually the same, as far as accuracy is concerned. Okay, two things worth noting is that the 60CSx' SiRFIII chip is more expensive and uses more battery juice to run.

And because the Vista is smaller, it can't effectively use the same button arrangement (I suppose they could but a new design will increase cost) as the 60CSx.

I have been using the Vista HCx for about eight months now and like it very much. I use the Vista for the same three things you mentioned, plus on my bike. I prefer the Vista's smaller size and lighter weight. The screen is brighter for daylight usage, and batteries last longer than the 60. I have MetroGuide (with the routable MetroGold program) and Topo installed.

The only physical problem to date (the software glitches with accurate distance reading have been mostly resolved) has been separation of the rubber band around the casing. This has been a a common occurrence with the Etrex models. Garmin has provided a RAN for a free repair. My monochrome Vista lasted three years before the band separated - it's currently being held in place with duct tape.

The 60's are not without wear problems. I have a 60CS; the buttons, because they are on the front of the unit and thin [for the light to shine through], have worn down that I can't read the lettering on the buttons.

I guess no model will be perfect, but, for me, and as a jack-of-all-trades, the Vista HCx is the best out there - and that includes the new Colorado models.

Edited by Chuy!

There were quite a few threads a while back that discussed problems with the Vista Hcx but Garmin has resolved all of the major issues with this GPS.

I've passed my GPS60Cx on to my son and don't miss it. I've noticed that there are very few threads lately that discuss the Vista Hcx... I take that as a positive indication that most of the Vista Hcx users are pretty happy with the unit.

As for the features on the Vista Hcx, you will not find it simpler than the 60Csx, the features are the same... just different buttons to access them.

gcpd957, I sell 60CSx's I have 6 sitting on the shelf right now. I use a Vista HCx because I personally find the 60CSx laughably clunky to use. Whereas the Vista feels fantastic in the hand. The button on the 60CSx are very badly designed with regards to ergonomics and the rocker button itself is even worse due to the crazy decision to give it no tactile 'click' feedback unlike the 76CSx which is similar but does have a bit of tactile feedback.

The buttons on the HCx are far easier to operate two handed or one handed. Your fingers naturally fall on the buttons unlike the 60CSx.

The 60CSx has no functional advantage over the HCx except a serial port and an external antenna port. Both of which I wager you don't need.

You must realise that up until july last year the 60CSx was the best due only to it's SirfstarIII chipset, this is no longer the case as the new H chipsets are at least as good and maybe even better. Once upon a time the 60CSx was the dog's bollocks, but that was way back when.

As stated above i just dropped 349.99 on the Garmin Vista Hcx Model bundled with topo 2008,carry case,etc etc. Being new to GPS im starting to second guess my purchase . . . <snip>

Don't second guess your purchase. I think you got the best GPS unit available now. :blink:

I have a Vista HCx and really like it. I have used friends' 60CSx units, and find them to be too large and cumbersome. I do not like all the different function buttons, compared to the side-positioned buttons and the "click stick" on the Vista HCx.

You did good . . . :)

Well i've gotta say i definately feel better about my purchase after all the helpful feedback, so thanks to all who replied. Just did a comparison online at Garmin.com and did not realise until now that yes you are all correct that the 60csx and hcx have all the same features say for the size,tide charts, battery life,and connections. Ill be lost for a while as the 60csx was feature packed, but on the flipside im the kinda guy who puts stuff together and has a few extra screws laying around. I guess i should read the manual! Thanks again!

Well i've gotta say i definitely feel better about my purchase after all the helpful feedback, so thanks to all who replied. Just did a comparison online at Garmin.com and did not realise until now that yes you are all correct that the 60csx and hcx have all the same features say for the size, tide charts, battery life, and connections. Ill be lost for a while as the 60csx was feature packed, but on the flip side im the kinda guy who puts stuff together and has a few extra screws laying around. I guess i should read the manual! Thanks again!

I believe if you GO to the Main Menu/Find/Marine Points/Tide Stations, you should have them. I think that the HCx gets that data along with what map segments you load from Topo US. I'm pretty New, with the Vista HCx myself but, it is very easy to operate and manage.

I have the max allowable map segments (2025) on my unit, and it still renders a map page in a very acceptable time even with MOST detail selected. And if you don't have the Tide tables and you still need or just want them their is an .exe file that can be Downloaded from Garmin to put them, on your unit. Hope you enjoy your Vista HCx, for price, it is very nice technology. :blink:

It appears I am alone in this, but I acutally prefer the button arrangement of the 60's. Whether in the car, but especially on a bicycle, the buttons on the front are considerably easier to manipulate than the Etrex buttons.

Re Garmin's Topo software. It's not the best out there. National Geographic's Topo is much better, but there is no license, or compatible Garmin software version to put into Garmins. Their 1:24,000 maps are significantly better than Garmin's 1:100,000 . I think some of the Magellan Tritons can accept it. NG does have a PDA version.

Another drawback is the street detail on the Garmin Topo can be over 300 feet off. So, don't get Topo for the street details.

I believe if you GO to the Main Menu/Find/Marine Points/Tide Stations, you should have them. I think that the HCx gets that data along with what map segments you load from Topo US.

I didn't know this! I just assumed I couldn't get tide data on my Legend HCx. I have Topo 2008 installed, so I'll have to check that out tonight. Thanks!

--Bill

Two other small questions, is topo 2008 software pretty decent, and are there any other software packages that you all would reccomend in opposition that are compatible?

I have the Vista HCx and both Topo 2008 & City Navigator NT (I also have a Nuvi200W and GPS built into my Odyssey). For Geocaching I find that I prefer to use City Navigator on the Vista after using both. The ability to have routing to the vicinity of the cache (on-road mode), and then switch to off-road for the final search is really convenient. I found it too time consuming to switch back & forth from the Nuvi to the Vista (even w/ all of the points loaded into both). Loading the waypoints into the van's system wasn't even an option I considered. It's also nice that the entire US (continental) fits on one micro-SD card.

I believe if you GO to the Main Menu/Find/Marine Points/Tide Stations, you should have them. I think that the HCx gets that data along with what map segments you load from Topo US.

I didn't know this! I just assumed I couldn't get tide data on my Legend HCx. I have Topo 2008 installed, so I'll have to check that out tonight. Thanks!

--Bill

I'm not sure about that for the HCx. Anyway, if you still want tide stations, you can download the US points from Garmin via an update for the GPSMAP Sounder 168 here. It installs into MapSource and can be selected as a map set for download to your GPS. I have it working with my Vista HCx.

--Bill

I'm not sure about that for the HCx. Anyway, if you still want tide stations, you can download the US points from Garmin via an update for the GPSMAP Sounder 168 here. It installs into MapSource and can be selected as a map set for download to your GPS. I have it working with my Vista HCx.

TOPO 2008 includes the tide stations and they show up on a Vista HCx just fine. No need to download anything else unless you want them without the TOPO.

As stated above i just dropped 349.99 on the Garmin Vista Hcx Model bundled with topo 2008,carry case,etc etc. Being new to GPS im starting to second guess my purchase based on a select few reviews that i have read on this model and its inadequicies (spelled wrong i know). Just wanted to get some info from first hand users as there seem to be a few on here. I'll be using it for off roading,hiking, and once i completely figure it out geocaching in the North Georgia Mountain area. I tend to go off the beaten path in search of new and exciting places so my main concern is gonna be satellite aquisition. I had a Garmin 60csx for a short while but i rid of it due to its ungodly size and too many features i figured id never use, kinda now regret it partly due to it being hailed as one of the best. My cousins Delorme Earthmate is pretty sweet too but i have heard the chipset is not that great. Just looking for reassurance in short, and i look forward to getting to geocaching here soon! Any response would be awsome!

GCPD957, You've done a very good thing. Congratulations ! You are now the proud owner of one of the most reliable, accurate and versatile handheld GPSr on the market. I've had my unit since January of 2008 and absolutely love it.

It puts me on top of caches. Like you, I use my unit for hiking, off-roading and other similar outdoor adventures. I have a basic Garmin 340C Street Pilot in my vehicle to get me near the caches. The rest is left to the HCx. In terms of the Chipsets. I'll pit the eTrex Vista HCx Chipset against any other including the SIRF Chipset that used in the 60 CSx.

Have fun, enjoy your unit, and don't look back. You made a great decision.

Gil