A tilling geocoin mission – this one will not be easy!

rchdlyn

A tilling geocoin mission – this one will not be easy!

(We need a lot of help – World Register help)

In 1953 the very first world ploughing contest was held in Canada. 57 competitions later and the competition will be back in New Zealand for it’s 4th time. The first and second were held at Lincoln, Canterbury and the third in Taieri, Otago. In 2010 it will be held on farm near Methven, Mid Canterbury. Not just any farm, but ‘homefarm’.

At every competition location, a cairn has been erected and stands “as a symbol of peace and unity for world peace” (the three in New Zealand are cache sites – GCQVD3 & GCP86T). The question is, are any other the Cairns in other countries also cache sites?

DEDICATION:

“That Man may use the Plough to Cultivate Peace and Plenty”

To commemorate and promote the competition we have produced a set of trackable coins that we would like to set free in the Northern Hemisphere with a two-fold mission:

1. We would like the coins to travel to agricultural locations and if possible cache locations as listed, but also other countries – anywhere soil is tilled, collecting pictures of along the way. We would like to learn about agriculture around the world.

2. To make it home to or close to North West Soil Best GC10T3J by January 2010.

* We are looking for volunteers to set them free in Great Britain, Finland & Sweden and others to watchlist them to help them achieve their mission. We will post the links when available.

* 56 locations in 24 countries:

1953 Cobourg, Ontario Canada

1954 Killarney Ireland

1955 Uppsala Sweden

1956 Shillingford England

1957 Feebles, Ohio USA

1958 Hohenheim, Stuttgart Germany

1959 Armoy, Antrim Northern Ireland

1960 Tor Mancina, Rome Italy

1961 Grignon, Paris France

1962 Dronten, East Flevoland Netherlands

1963 Caledon, Ontario, Canada

1964 Fuchsenbigl, near Vienna Austria

1965 Ringerike Norway

1966 –

1967 Lincoln New Zealand Cache on site

1968 Salisbury Rhodesia

1969 Belehrade Yugoslavia

1970 Horsens Denmark

1971 Somerset, Taunton England

1972 Mankato, Minnesota USA

1973 Wexford Ireland

1974 Helsinki Finland

1975 Oshawa, Ontario Canada

1976 Bjertorp, Vara Sweden

1977 Flevohof Netherlands

1978 Wickstadt, near Friedberg Germany

1979 Limavady Northern Ireland

1980 Lincoln New Zealand Cache on site

1981 Wexford Ireland

1982 Mt Ireh, Illawarra, Longford Tazmania, Australia

1983 Harare, Zimbabwe Rhodesia

1984 Horncastle, Lincolnshire Great Britain

1985 Naera, Belgium

1986 Olds, Alberta Canada

1987 Marchfield Austria

1988 Amana, Iowa USA

1989 Kleppe Norway

1990 Zeeworlde Netherlands

1991 Limavady Northern Ireland

1992 Albacete Spain

1993 Vastraby Gard, Helsingborg Sweden

1994 Taieri, Outram New Zealand Cache on site

1995 Egerton, Njoro Kenya

1996 Oak Park, Carlow Republic of Ireland

1997 Gelong Australia

1998 Altheim/Landshut Germany

1999 Pomacle France

2000 Lincolnshire Showground Lincoln England

2001 Eskjær, Skive Denmark

2002 Bellechasse Switzerland

2003 Guelph, Ontario Canada

2004 Foyeview farm, Limavady, Bellykelly Northern Ireland

2005 Czech University of Agriculure, Prague Czech Republic

2006 Grange – Tullow – Carlow Ireland

2007 University of Agriculture, Kaunas Lithuania

2008 Castle Grafenegg, Krems Austria

2009 To be at Moravske, Toplice Slovenia

2010 To be at Highbank, Methven New Zealand

After reading the Eric K post I did some research, and the 1957 World Champion conventional Ploughing contest was held in Peebles, Ohio, a small town in Adams County. There is a memorial in downtown Peebles commemorating the event.

There are no caches in Peebles, Ohio but cache GC13C1A is 2.5 miles from where I think the memorial is located. If you would like I could place the coin in this cache.

After reading the Eric K post I did some research, and the 1957 World Champion conventional Ploughing contest was held in Peebles, Ohio, a small town in Adams County. There is a memorial in downtown Peebles commemorating the event.

There are no caches in Peebles, Ohio but cache GC13C1A is 2.5 miles from where I think the memorial is located. If you would like I could place the coin in this cache.

Thanks for the clafication. I'm in Northeast Ohio so you would be closer to that area than I would be.

Wow - we are stunned with the response. ;)

Thank you to all.

I am spreadsheeting all the responses. The coins arrive yesterday. I will let you all know who we send them to to start and include links to all the coins so that they can be watchlisted.

many many thanks

Lyn

All three locations in the Netherlands are within a distance of 40 kms from the village where I live. I have found the 1962 cairn near the town of Dronten, so at least that one still exists. I'm almost sure that the 1977 cairn has disappeared, but probably the 1990 one will still be there. We'll see.

There are some caches nearby each location, but none of them has been dedicated to the World Ploughing Contest. It may be a good idea to create one now from which the 'Netherlands to NZ World Ploughing Geocoin' could start its journey to the other side -yes, exactly- of the world.

So, George Family, I'll be happy and honoured to help you set one of these coins free from here! :unsure:

Thank for all the offers of help. We are releasing six as high up as possible. I have contacted those who will get to release them in the first instance and will post the links to watchlist, for those who wish to help them on their travels.

We don't mind some dipping, as sometimes it is necessary (too small a cache or in route to being dropped) as it is not a race. However we would like it to meet as many people as possible along the way. So it comes down to discretion.

Thanks again

Lyn & Richard

PS We have had a little fun with the listing page for each coin. A status icon will allow you to see how all the coins are and how they are doing at a glance. Very cool :laughing:

Mufflon - Sweden http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...82-5b41bf8d9c8b

Yanagi - Germany http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...be-6d72d690d6fc

Captain Zulu - The Netherlands http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...ff-c5855b9f5392

Gardengorilla - Olds, Canada http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...cc-127e151a67e5

res2100 - Ontario Canada http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...bb-defac9802f2a

Croft House Cachers - Great Britain http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...57-792feef9c508

I'm very pleased to be involved in this and have tracked down our local cairn with the help of our national society of ploughmen. Have been asking on the UK forum too, and we hope to be able to place caches at the four UK sites.

Ness.

Sweet - That is so cool! :laughing:

Definitely a cairn at the Shillingford UK location.

cairn.jpg

We have been planning to place a cache (probably a multi) themed on this cairn for 2 or 3 years now and this post has given us the motivation to get it sorted. The awful picture above was taken on my mobile phone when we first came across it.

If you would like us to start one of your coins off in it we would be happy to oblige.

Recieved the beautiful coin(s) in the mail today. I plan to go out and release it in a cache close to Västraby gård in Helsinborg, Sweden this weekend. Will search for a cairn too. I have not found any information on the internet about it, but I may find something on site.

The spring has arrived here and there should be a lot of agricultural activities going on this time of the year.