Opinions wanted

OK ... I hide all of our caches, and usually do it when my wife (MsKitty) is at work. we always cache together with one account ...... in fact, she is so into this game, that if I were to go caching without her, I might as well just keep going :unsure:

well, maybe not that bad, but ....

Anyway, She likes going out and finding the caches that I have hidden without any input from me.

The question is ... would folks find it tacky if I logged a find for her and explain in the log that she wasn't present when hidden, and found it on her own? In effect logging a find on our own cache!

We like keeping track, and like our count to keep climbing, but we aren't obsessed with the numbers. I wouldn't think badly of others if I were to see this, but maybe that's just me.

What do you all think?

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Get another account?

I already for saw this as a problem as a friend doesn't want to miss out on any caches with me. It was too late to have just one account so he got his own. Now we are discussing hiding our own "Super" fun caches. So I told him if we do we better get another account as hiders only. So if I hid one he didn't know about he could log it as a find for himself. I'm thinking we should mark that we both hid a cache or one or the other did to avoid any kind of cheating I guess.

I kind of got the idea from someone here who is also a regulator. They had a separate account for regulating purposes (or so they stated as they also used it to hide a cache). Great idea I thought. Course if a club ends up forming I'm at a loss for what to do then. :unsure:

IMO, as long as the team is getting credit for the hide, then the team shouldn't get credit for the find. Again, IMO you should each get your own accounts. One of you can assume the existing account through the name change process. The other will have to relog with an explanation about the splitting of the team.

Viv & I don't have that problem. She would never hunt a cache that I hid solo. Too many spiders, gators, snakes, mud, etc. :unsure:

I do log "Attended" on every event I host, since technically, I did attend the event.

As far as logging your own finds, it's generally considered to be bad form, but there are no rules against it.

OK ... I hide all of our caches, and usually do it when my wife (MsKitty) is at work. we always cache together with one account ...... in fact, she is so into this game, that if I were to go caching without her, I might as well just keep going :unsure:

well, maybe not that bad, but ....

Anyway, She likes going out and finding the caches that I have hidden without any input from me.

The question is ... would folks find it tacky if I logged a find for her and explain in the log that she wasn't present when hidden, and found it on her own? In effect logging a find on our own cache!

We like keeping track, and like our count to keep climbing, but we aren't obsessed with the numbers. I wouldn't think badly of others if I were to see this, but maybe that's just me.

What do you all think?

Just have her either log it as a note or set up a separate account as someone already mentioned.

Viv & I don't have that problem. She would never hunt a cache that I hid solo. Too many spiders, gators, snakes, mud, etc. :unsure:

Yah ... I've just been reading some of the logs from a couple of your caches! :anibad:

Not a chance for that kind of cache around here, but it would sure be fun.

Thanks for all the opinions.

My wife got her own account in part because of this reason. She sometimes logs

finds on my caches if she wasn't there when I hid them and we didn't want the appearance of cheesiness.

The way you play is your beeswax (to the extent that it doesn't effect others) but you have to realize that logging finds on your own caches will raise eyebrows among some. If you don't mind that, then do what pleases you.

I do log "Attended" on every event I host, since technically, I did attend the event.

As far as logging your own finds, it's generally considered to be bad form, but there are no rules against it.

I have don this as well...on all but one! I guess I could go back and log that one as well....

I'm not sure about the posting paradox - but I do understand that you can make a Groundspeak account and add logs and so on for no charge. Why not have her make an account of her own with a similar name as your current, and she can start logging the finds of your hides as well as any others under her own name.

Since the only finds she will have that we don't do together would be the ones she does of our hides she hasn't seen, it would be a lot of wasted effort and time to have a separate account, and really no different than just logging it with an explanation. I guess it comes down to whether or not people think I am lying if I say she found them without any help from me. Because it is more for her to have the fun of finding the caches, and not the numbers, I'll probably just log a note that she searched and found it. I guess no-one else really cares about my cache's logs but me anyway.

Thanks for helping me clarify my thoughts on this.

I'd say do it.

The gc.com software doesn't try to stop you from logging a find on a cache you own, that that's because there are valid exceptions. I just logged a find on a cache I own -- I adopted it a few days before I found it. I have another cache on which I will log a find if I ever complete the logging requirements -- I said I would not log FTF or STF, but those have already been taken, so I'm OK ... There are plenty of reasons for exceptions, so the rules are flexible.

Edward

I'd say do it.

The gc.com software doesn't try to stop you from logging a find on a cache you own, that that's because there are valid exceptions. I just logged a find on a cache I own -- I adopted it a few days before I found it. I have another cache on which I will log a find if I ever complete the logging requirements -- I said I would not log FTF or STF, but those have already been taken, so I'm OK ... There are plenty of reasons for exceptions, so the rules are flexible.

Edward

Don't fall into the trap that just because the system allows it makes it okay. Sure there's some leeway, but going overboard will certainly get someone's attention.

Well if you really feel the need to avoid the wrath of the cache police you could have one account for all of your hides and your regular account for all of your finds. It truly doesn't (or shouldn't) matter and you should do what feels right for you. My Son has some hides that I had no part in creating or placing. When I found them I logged them as finds. And proudly, since they were evil. :huh:

Since the only finds she will have that we don't do together would be the ones she does of our hides she hasn't seen, it would be a lot of wasted effort and time to have a separate account, and really no different than just logging it with an explanation. I guess it comes down to whether or not people think I am lying if I say she found them without any help from me. Because it is more for her to have the fun of finding the caches, and not the numbers, I'll probably just log a note that she searched and found it. I guess no-one else really cares about my cache's logs but me anyway.

Thanks for helping me clarify my thoughts on this.

Having a second account really isn't that much effort and time. Really, what's the difference if you wife logs on to her account, or yours to log the find?