ULTRA ULTRA lite Backpacking.... Ideas, Tricks, Skills, For simple homemade gear and such...

drew82

Hello... I have been camping all my life and backpacking alone and with friends for the past ten years... I like so many for a time was caught up in gear and gadgets, always lusted over new and expensive gear that i saw reviewed in backpacker magizine and new this or that, that i saw in the stores i frequient... Although in the last couple of years i have become increasingly more and more drawn to taking less instead of more, simple and hand or home made instead of fancy and storebought, self relient and independant instead of dependant on my fancy gear or new northface jacket.. dont get me wrong.. i love all the new gear and tools as much as the next guy.. and own more than i can afford of it all... I just have a better feeling coming back from trips where i have taken less and used my skills and lack of them to learn lessons that i otherwise would have missed.. So my question is this.. what are your tricks and tips for super ultralite backpacking... Whats the least you could take and how could you make the most of those few items... any tip, idea or experience would be appreciated... Thanks:)

Hello... I have been camping all my life and backpacking alone and with friends for the past ten years... I like so many for a time was caught up in gear and gadgets, always lusted over new and expensive gear that i saw reviewed in backpacker magizine and new this or that, that i saw in the stores i frequient... Although in the last couple of years i have become increasingly more and more drawn to taking less instead of more, simple and hand or home made instead of fancy and storebought, self relient and independant instead of dependant on my fancy gear or new northface jacket.. dont get me wrong.. i love all the new gear and tools as much as the next guy.. and own more than i can afford of it all... I just have a better feeling coming back from trips where i have taken less and used my skills and lack of them to learn lessons that i otherwise would have missed.. So my question is this.. what are your tricks and tips for super ultralite backpacking... Whats the least you could take and how could you make the most of those few items... any tip, idea or experience would be appreciated... Thanks:)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Nice, thanks>>

After one hike with a 50+ pound pack, I managed to ditch 20 pounds for the next hike. That just planted the seed for seeking the best ultra-lite solution. The Whiteblaze and backpackinglight links both provide excellent ideas but I'll toss out a few lessons-learned here for my geo-compadres. Keep in mind that I abhor the cold so most of these changes were things I did to hike in WARM weather:

* I bought a 1 lb-10oz Go-Lite Pinnacle backpack to replace my 6 lb Mountainsmith pack.

* I switched to an ENO Single-Nest Hammock instead of my old backpacking tent.

* I use a simple fleece blanket instead of my bulky sleeping bag (in warmer weather)

* I use a homemade Pepsi can stove instead of my old Coleman burner.

* Leave the Gerber multitool at home and take a simple, 2-blade Swiss Army Knife.

* Cut back on heavy food! Geez, I even carried CANS on my first hike!

* Wear lighter clothes. No more cargo pants and t-shirts for me! Just one pair of those Champion jogging shorts and shirt are enough for a whole weekend, plus maybe another to change into.

* One LED headlamp replaced a handheld flashlight.

* Since my hiking is all in the woods (Appalachian Trail) I leave the hat and sunglasses home.

* Using Gatorade bottles instead of Nalgene bottles will even save you a few ounces.

While I hate the bugs of 'everywhereelse'... living in most-places-not-Northwest does afford you some certain hiking luxuries...

My pack is pretty light - with enough CYA gear and nosh - it sits at less than 20 pounds... but I never, ever leave home without the goretex pants and raincoat if I'm going out for more than a few hours. Even then the rain coat goes with me.

It ain't called a rainforest for no reason!

Shorts and a tshirt... only? And only a fleece blanket?

<gloom>

But, me loves me my Northwest. Rain, it is.

michelle

ultralight backpacking is a good websight as well. There is a forum there for making your own gear.

The king of lightweight backpacking is ray jardine, who might be a little eccentric, but he still has some darn good ideas.

I've had to lighten my pack because of my knees so I got new "big 3's". New light pack (my shasta weighted more than my big 3 does now!), new light tents, and a new light down bag.

Now you can get tents and tarps made out of spinnaker and cuban fiber. I just got my oware tarp today, I got mine in silnylon but they are also made of spinnaker and cuban fiber.

I try not to take things when I have something else that can perform the same task. no chair, no dish or mug, wear all clothes so I can use a lighter sleeping bag.

Of course if you are going where the weather and such is extreme you might have other priorities, like staying alive. Where I go I don't have to plan for that.

My knees still are not better so I havn't been able to try out my new lightweight stuff. :huh: I am still holding out hope though.

I'm the kind of person who carries a 40 lb pack for an overnighter, so I'm not the right person to give advice regarding going light.

I have however done a few things to lighten the load since my wife's back went bad , causing me to have to carry more.

I switched my 8 lb LL Bean Tent for a 3.5 lb Sierra Designs. Swapped out my stainless steel cook kit for a smaller, titanium kit. Ditched the Peak 1 lantern I used to carry. Sold my 8 lb frame pack and bought a 5 lb Gregory.

I cut down on clothing. One change of clothes no matter how many days I'm out.

When going with a group I pack at the trailhead, so I can avoid duplication. If two people in the group have stoves, no sense bringing mine.

Thanks everybody:) Great ideas and links so far... I figure theres one extreme or the other... A 50 pound pack with too much in it;) or rambo with a tank top and a knife, with a compass matches sewing kit and fishing line in it :huh:...... Don't know if i could do the rain all the time :) but i very much get the sentiment of loving where you are. :) I enjoy the hikes i occasionaly take in middle tennessee, where i went to school as a boy, with its rolling hills, winding clear streams and stone fences it always seems ive walked back in time into the civil war times from which alot of the scenery is still bruised.. And as far as gear goes one thing i've found that still amazes me in the many things i have found to do with it is aluminum foil... wont leave without a good bit of it, from keeping the bottoms of my pots scorch free . or as i did a couple weeks ago on a painfully cold trip, making a small fireplace with fire starter in it to warm my hands on a freezing day without scarring the ground or getting too involved,, to making a cup or bowl or plate if needed.. :D and folds and stores very compact..