total find versus unique caches

The most common cause is that someone has logged an individual cache as found more than once, or an individual event as attended more than once. My personal rule is 1 GC # = 1 found/attended, but not everybody plays that way.

we were figuring it was those events where people log a bunch of temporary caches as finds on the event page

I have two logs on one moving cache. And a few multiple logs on locationless caches, or mystery caches.

I loved Markwell's Photographers' Caches. The objectives changed, and thus multiple logs were permitted.

But those times are gone.

Logging multiple 'attended's on an event is just bizarre! Especially since those who do are actually logging finds on temporary caches, or other caches not approved by geocaching.

Logging multiple 'attended's on an event is just bizarre!

It is kinda quirky. :unsure:

On a similar note, I have one find on a moving cache from Georgia. If I should encounter it again, (which is unlikely considering how my PQ's are set up), I'll log it as a note. Not that I have any issues against multiple finds on moving caches, it's just that this particular mover was rather different than most. Instead of being rehidden by each finder, it is carried around like a TB, passed from cacher to cacher.

GC.com doesn't support benchmarks in Canada, but here in Alberta we have an interesting (and approved) workaround: Brass Cap Cache. It's a whole sub-game of survey-cap hunting squeezed into a single cache listing - which BTW might hold the world record for number of finds, at 5300+.

I've got 60 or so finds on that one myself - representing everything from "drive-by cappings" to mountain climbs.

There is an event near me that happens every month. The same page is recycled for each month, keeping the same GC#, and just changing pertinent info. Some of us log an attended at each event (as it is a new event) and others don't (as it is the same GC#). To each their own, as both ways make sense to me. I like logging each one as it makes it easy to look back and see which ones I attended and which ones I missed.

It was quite common in years past in my area (on a monkey-see, monkey-do basis) for people to submit caches that were revamped, re-worked, number of multi legs increased, cache location greatly moved etc.. under the same GC number, when the originals obviously should have been archived and a new GC number created. The local reviewer didn't seem to police that very much back then, but they have tightened up on stuff like that big time now. Many people in my area have "re-finds" on these sort of caches. I just looked and I have two. :huh:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I am working on a unique cache that, if it goes through, each person who completes the "assignment" will have my permission to log the cache 12 times. If some people only want "one GC=one smilie" for their stats, they can complete my cache by logging 11 Notes, and one "Found it."