Post your geocoin photos here

ModelCitizen

AWESOME Compass Rose geocoin photos, PengoFamily! I remember seeing those during the Compass Rose photo contest. This is one reason I like seeing other people's geocoin photos - there are a lot of creative and artistic people involved in geocaching.

I also LOVE your personal geocoins. I don't know how I missed these when they were sold. Or were they trade only?

Thanks again for posting your photos.

Model Citizen - Zero Discipline

AWESOME Compass Rose geocoin photos, PengoFamily! I remember seeing those during the Compass Rose photo contest. This is one reason I like seeing other people's geocoin photos - there are a lot of creative and artistic people involved in geocaching.

I also LOVE your personal geocoins. I don't know how I missed these when they were sold. Or were they trade only?

Thanks again for posting your photos.

Thanks for the compliments! PengoDaddy is the creative photographer in our house. :anibad:

Our PengoFamily coins we done last year (Jan-Feb 2007). Some were traded and trade only, some were sold and some were for fundraisers. I wish I could say we have some left. :unsure:

Great pictures! :anibad:

But tell us what cameras you use and settings. How do you get these wonderful pictures. Do you use flash or natural sunlight? What kind of background for those coins that stand alone? I can't seem to get a decent picture of our personal coin with the purple glitter. :unsure:

Lummieh

We have a canon digital SLR. All our photos are taken in daytime near the patio door but we use the flash too. Most were taken on a brown piece of fabric. I am not sure of the camera settings though.

Great pictures! :unsure:

But tell us what cameras you use and settings. How do you get these wonderful pictures. Do you use flash or natural sunlight? What kind of background for those coins that stand alone? I can't seem to get a decent picture of our personal coin with the purple glitter. :anibad:

Lummieh

We have a canon digital SLR. All our photos are taken in daytime near the patio door but we use the flash too. Most were taken on a brown piece of fabric. I am not sure of the camera settings though.

Thanks... I too have a Canon Digital SLR. But don't seem to get the clear details as your pictures. I guess I'll have to take more pictures and experiment with different settings.

Do you use the micro setting?

I asked the 'photographer' in our household how he takes pictures of the coins. Apparently he uses a big bright window or patio door. Has be nice and sunny out. He doesn't usually use the flash put uses a white paper for reflective lighting. Moving the camera around and trying different angles and moving the paper will get something nice. Usually lots of trial and error. With glitter it is probably better without the flash.

We have also used our scanner too for 'taking pictures' of our coins. If you put the coin directly on the scanner and place a colored paper over for a background you can get some nice pics too.

Hope this helps!

I asked the 'photographer' in our household how he takes pictures of the coins. Apparently he uses a big bright window or patio door. Has be nice and sunny out. He doesn't usually use the flash put uses a white paper for reflective lighting. Moving the camera around and trying different angles and moving the paper will get something nice. Usually lots of trial and error. With glitter it is probably better without the flash.

We have also used our scanner too for 'taking pictures' of our coins. If you put the coin directly on the scanner and place a colored paper over for a background you can get some nice pics too.

Hope this helps!

I have tried the scanner and this is the best I could get.

V2-Back.jpg

On the next sunny day I'll try taking pictures of the coins outside. I'll let you know.

I use a Nikon digital SLR camera with the standard Nikon 18-70mm zoom lens (which is pretty good). It's not a macro lens, so I get a fairly small coin image that I have to crop. I hope to get a good 100mm macro lens one day but they are EXPENSIVE!

Usually I shoot indoors in a little light tent I bought and I use three desk lamps with natural color light bulbs in them for lighting. For most photos I just use one or two of the lamps, but sometimes I may use all three at different angles.

d5e8801b-0dc4-4204-b1d9-601615e11f0b.jpg

For some coins I get better results outside on a bright, but cloudy day. I've tried using the flash with and without a flash diffuser, but since I can't predict what the flash reflections will look like I don't use the flash anymore.

I've tried all kinds of different settings for the camera, but I haven't found any settings that work work well for every coin. Plus, I keep changing the light levels and light angles and have to adjust the exposure to compensate. I've tried the "close up" or "macro" automatic setting in the camera, but prefer to take control of aperature and shutter speed myself. I spend a LOT of time on each coin, shooting it over and over until I have what I want. The last coin I photographed, the Satellite Series V4, was shot on manual settings of f18 (for sharp focus across the coin) and 1/13 second exposure using a tripod. One thing I try to practice to save me time is to really look at the coin in the viewfinder before taking the shot. Look for uneven lighting, reflections, fingerprints and smudges, bits of lint or cat hair (yeah, we have a cat), or anything else that detracts from seeing the coin clearly. Shoot the coin at an angle to eliminate reflections of the camera on shiny coins, but use the shallowest angle you can.

I post-process the photos using PaintShop Pro to adjust contrast, exposure, white balance, sharpness, and to change or eliminate the tracking number. I shoot on white card stock paper, but then trim the coin out of the picture and paste it onto a pure white background in the photo editing software. Or, I may paste the coin picture onto a background photo that matches the design or theme of the coin.

Information overload? Sorry. :unsure:

Information overload? Sorry. :huh:

No overload here! That is great information.

I have a Cannon Rebel EP-EX15 with an 18-55 lens, 28-80 w/macro and a 70-300 w/macro. I do have a tri-pod and a remote controller for the camera. They don't make the mannual cable shutter release for the new digital SLR. I have to read up on it everytime since I don't use it much.

Your light box looks very interesting. I didn't realize you can get natural light bulbs. I knew you can get the 4 ft tube lights in it.

Well it looks like I'll be experimenting with my camera and geocoins. :)

Thanks for all the info

Very nice pictures posted here, but seriously, I know how much time this can consume :anibad: does anyone here work for living? :) lol

One of these days, I'll try rigging up a setup like yours, but for now I settle for adequate, which means what can I do in as little time as possible. I use a Nikon 4300 in closeup mode. It was inexpensive and because at the time, it was one of the few digital cameras that could actually autofocus as close as 2 inches. I prefer natural indirect sunlight. I step outside, hold the coin up and snap a few pics, then pop the datacard, slip it into Mac and suck the pics into iPhoto. Voila!

mauisonSLV1F.jpg

EarthTurtleSS1F.jpg

xmasseahorse1.jpg

tatanka1.jpg

I just completed a trade with TeamEccs21 for one of their personal coins. They were very generous to actually send me two versions of their coin to photograph and keep. :( Thanks, TeamEccs21! :ph34r:

Here's their antiqued coin (not sure what the metal is)...

227b78e1-afdb-46e1-8d5b-91455554f006.jpg

36c28a74-c724-4b2b-8d07-153fdbe1d3cf.jpg

0a09a8f9-a652-4147-b063-e08c2ab7ed01.jpg

And here it is making a skydive with me before I sent it out.

2e871e1d-14c1-4392-880c-47f342a3e283.jpg

More to follow.

Blue skies and happy caching!

I just discovered this thread, and all I can saw is WOW. Awesome pics...I esp. like the one of ours skydiving. Thanks for giving our coin wings...dragons are meant to fly :D

gorgeous coins you have - especially the tumbleweed one. wow, i want to see a bigger pic! :laughing:

rsg

I agree! Those are some beautiful coins. I especially like the Tumbleweed, the Geocoin Fairy, and the Symbology. Oh wait, I like the Crowesfeat30, the Aztec Calendar, and of course the Compass Rose too. My wife just walked in and loved the Triple Dragon. I guess that's all of them.

When the Symbology coins were being sold I wanted to see a larger picture of it so I could try to read all the writing on it. Can you post the pictures larger, A&T? 600x600 seems to work pretty good for each side. It lets you see the detail in the coin.

Great pictures everyone! Thanks so much for posting them. If I can't get a new geocoin in the mail every day, at least I can see great pictures of great geocoins posted fairly often. :D

I like your coin photos, Joranda. Sparkley! What's the background you photographed them on? I've seen your coin being offered for sale and wondered about what a "Deadman's Hand" is. I'm not familiar with that term. Is that a certain poker hand?

Birdman, your coin photos look great - especially that copper one in the center. It looks like the light was just right on that one.

I sent a couple of POW/MIA geocoins out with the goal of reaching "The Wall" - the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Wall in Washington DC. One of them accomplished that goal - twice!

Wonderful photos and artistry. Thanks for honoring those who gave all. I'm sure folks like Floyd Williams, Lt. Joseph Klugg, and John B. Martin appreciate the thought and the effort.

THANKS!!!!!

BTW, Here's a picture of the LogBokk Geocoin I took while out geocaching.

LogBook Geocoin Photo attached to my Log Entry

Keep up the excellent work.

... Gerry

It's been a while, but I'm getting ready to send a couple more geocoins out to travel. This time it is a bronze and a silver Astrolabe geocoin by CRake.

The Astrolabe geocoin holds the distinction of being the first geocoin in orbit, since one of them flew with Dr. Stan Love on shuttle mission STS-122. My two Astrolabe geocoins haven't gone any higher than 15,000 feet. That was when I took them skydiving with me.

67c446dd-1b1a-443e-847f-f3c929b47baa.jpg

064c1c96-4b38-447a-9a36-ae7593585695.jpg

c8bf3b37-e7c3-40a4-9bb3-b480bfb20007.jpg

caa42a03-4f81-4ee6-a2b5-cc314d6bbfff.jpg

f499040b-3fab-404f-857e-ad1dd077b55c.jpg

da43ef2e-27ac-4b41-89f5-83ec279e83c9.jpg

8045cdf0-a629-431c-aaed-39f614eb3ac2.jpg

6cf745e3-5408-4255-b2bb-12a525f1c8b0.jpg

7612f675-e2d0-4c5e-81a6-a390de16523c.jpg

d6de81e5-95c2-4777-b2e8-a489c125513e.jpg

Edited by ModelCitizen

I am attempting to catalogue my personal collection by taking pictures of my coins. Shutterfly has a free photoalbum website feature so I am posting my pictures there as I go along. This is a work in progress, but feel free to check it out! :D Tadpole379's Geocoin Collection

Wow! tadpole379, those coin pictures are beautiful! Could you send me some info on where that feature is located?

www.shutterfly.com

You can upload as many pictures as you want to the site under your account, and organize them into online photo albums. One of the options is to create a Share Website, which is what I made using the pictures that I uploaded to my account album. The site also has options to order prints of pictures, and make stuff like calenders, and merchandise using your pictures, and it is an easy way to share pictures with friends. :blink:

Great photos of great coins, Tadpole! I'll have to go in and look at all of them when I have some more time. As for now, I'm on a roll! I've got another geocoin photographed and ready to head out traveling in the geoworld. Be looking for my geocoins in a cache in your area. I'm trying to spread them around pretty well. As always, I'll be releasing the actual, original geocoins.

Here's my United We Cache geocoin...

fd1ebffb-9ef9-4254-9847-d768ef73d4b1.jpg

19f81679-8ce3-4df1-acc7-efc1cd7aefaf.jpg

Information overload? Sorry. :laughing:

No overload here! That is great information.

I have a Cannon Rebel EP-EX15 with an 18-55 lens, 28-80 w/macro and a 70-300 w/macro. I do have a tri-pod and a remote controller for the camera. They don't make the mannual cable shutter release for the new digital SLR. I have to read up on it everytime since I don't use it much.

Your light box looks very interesting. I didn't realize you can get natural light bulbs. I knew you can get the 4 ft tube lights in it.

Well it looks like I'll be experimenting with my camera and geocoins. :blink:

Thanks for all the info

Yeah, that's some excellent info ModelCitizen!! I only have a Canon SX100 so there's not a lot I can play around with. I don't have a remote for it, so I like the image stabilization feature, even using a tripod.

I'll have to invest in a light tent for sure! I've been trying to make due by holding a sheet of white paper in front of the flash to take my pictures.

BTW, I love the R2D2 desk lamp!! :)

Thanks for the great coin photos, E&Cplus3.

Yesterday I was out on an all-day caching run with a large group before an event and found a new mystery geocoin in a local cache with the phrase "The Devil Made Me Do It" and a devil's face on the front, and an ebay logo and several excuses on the back. The card enclosed with the coin calls the coin "The Geocoin Devil" and says the finder can keep it, trade it, sell it, or do with as you like.

I took a good picture of the front and back of the coin and now plan to turn it loose again for someone else to enjoy. It's a really large, thick, heavy coin with bright colors and glitter. Great looking coin!

f2756194-ce26-4e5e-9672-9863d2dd623b.jpg

ee0b32ca-1616-46c2-ad68-5c3a500457e9.jpg

Blue skies and happy caching!