holding gps.

When I used to use my older garmin legend I held it in my had so it the most exposure to the sky. It seemed to be the only way to get it to work. Now that I am getting a venture with the high sensitivy reciever I don't think I will have these problems. Can I use the garmin cover, the one that has the see through panel, like a phone case? I want to be able to clip it to my belt or shoulder strap and it still get reception.

I have a hard case when I need sturdier protection but I see niteyez has a "backbone" style one that looks like it would be smaller and more convienient that the one I have. I plan on using it on dayhikes as well and am thinking of different ways to carry it. I don't see why they all can't have accessory external antennas, like a headphone plug. That would be neat, I could put in on my hat and my unit in my pocket.

It sounds like you are a better candidate for a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx instead of the Venture. If you're doing to spend a little more money, why not spend just a little more and get one of the best GPS units out there? If you check on walmart.com, you'll find an incredible price on the above unit. It has NO issues with seeing the satellites and can easily have an external antenna plugged into it ... which you really won't need with this unit. - Pat

A little lesson in GPS purchasing:

If you buy your unit from REI, you can take it back for a full refund, regardless of the reason. Even though the price looks more expensive, it often beats most competitors after you factor in the 10% return of purchase price at the end of the year in "rewards." Combining those two things, there's No Reason not to get your GPS there.

Also, and just because you said you were looking for a new unit. I have a GPSmap 60 (not the CSx model) that a friend is selling at a very reasonable price - $187.50, if you're interested. It will do all that the Venture will do and much, much more.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

When I used to use my older garmin legend I held it in my had so it the most exposure to the sky. It seemed to be the only way to get it to work. Now that I am getting a venture with the high sensitivy reciever I don't think I will have these problems. Can I use the garmin cover, the one that has the see through panel, like a phone case? I want to be able to clip it to my belt or shoulder strap and it still get reception.

I have a hard case when I need sturdier protection but I see niteyez has a "backbone" style one that looks like it would be smaller and more convienient that the one I have. I plan on using it on dayhikes as well and am thinking of different ways to carry it. I don't see why they all can't have accessory external antennas, like a headphone plug. That would be neat, I could put in on my hat and my unit in my pocket.

I have the Vista HCx and like it very much. I can carry it on the waistband of my lumbar pack and it never loses signal. My old Vista and Vista C would often lose signal if I didn't hold it facing up.

The Garmin case will work fine with that GPS unit. I have one, but I also got an "Invisible Shield" for my Vista HCx to further protect the screen from scratches.

I would have no use at all for all the mapping of the pricier units. I went with the venture cause it seemed to fit my needs (other than an external antenna which I think they should all have).

I am hoping that the new technology will solve my problem of holding it, with that high sensitive reciever and all. I am going to try clipping it to my shoulder strap when wearing a pack, or my waistband when not wearing one.

I would have no use at all for all the mapping of the pricier units. I went with the venture cause it seemed to fit my needs (other than an external antenna which I think they should all have).

I am hoping that the new technology will solve my problem of holding it, with that high sensitive reciever and all. I am going to try clipping it to my shoulder strap when wearing a pack, or my waistband when not wearing one.

I think pretty well all users of units with any of the newer high sensitivity receivers would agree - you WON'T need an external antenna, so the fact that the eTrex range don't have a socket for an external antenna is pretty much a non-issue.

You can easily tell what different materials affect GPS signal reception by going to the satellite status screen and watching the signal strenght indicators change as you hold the unit at different angles and/or cover the unit with different materials. Modern GPSr's are quite good at "seeing" through quite a variety of materials, even in my car I can see that having the convertible top open or closed has very little effect on it seeing an overhead satellite.

I often keep my GPSr in an inside coat pocket in winter time while skiing or snowmobiling. Whenever I stop to check it, it always shows my plot trail no problem at all. Try that inside your backpack while taking a test walk