GPS for Astronomy / Google Sky

While still learning how to use my first GPS for everyday activities (such as marking the parking location of the car at the Mall) as well as fun-time (going to try to locate some Markers and Hidden Mickeys next week); in my Net travels trying to tie the Google Earth maps/images to the GPS it occurred to me that the GPS should be useful for casual astronomy as evidenced by 1) Recent GPS based “handheld planetariums” and 2) Google Sky project associated with Google Earth.

The question asked is if GPS related Astronomy issues is a worthy forum topic? Or would it fit as a subsection of a different forum? A search for the “Astronomy” keyword did not show up much recent chatter about this subject (I checked a couple different forums), so maybe they really aren’t related enough (But who would dare challenge Google Wisdom?).

The GPS of course gives lat/long/time but I suspect it can be much more useful when out stargazing.

Just for fun for any GPS wielding astronomy buffs, I wanted to make sure you were aware of an amazing event GRB Unaided-eye 7.5 Bln LY Visible March 19 2008

Some links for you to enjoy! :huh:

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/080320_grb

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/21...e.htm?list99971

(Personally, I think the 7.5 billion light year distance is way off due to “tired light” or “carbon wisker” distortion effects ( see http://www.world-science.net/othernews/080301_graphite.htm ), nevertheless it was a noteworthy astronomical event!)

Back on topic: How is a GPS useful for astronomy enthusiasts? :huh:

While still learning how to use my first GPS for everyday activities (such as marking the parking location of the car at the Mall) as well as fun-time (going to try to locate some Markers and Hidden Mickeys next week); in my Net travels trying to tie the Google Earth maps/images to the GPS it occurred to me that the GPS should be useful for casual astronomy as evidenced by 1) Recent GPS based “handheld planetariums” and 2) Google Sky project associated with Google Earth.

The question asked is if GPS related Astronomy issues is a worthy forum topic? Or would it fit as a subsection of a different forum? A search for the “Astronomy” keyword did not show up much recent chatter about this subject (I checked a couple different forums), so maybe they really aren’t related enough (But who would dare challenge Google Wisdom?).

The GPS of course gives lat/long/time but I suspect it can be much more useful when out stargazing.

Just for fun for any GPS wielding astronomy buffs, I wanted to make sure you were aware of an amazing event GRB Unaided-eye 7.5 Bln LY Visible March 19 2008

Some links for you to enjoy! :laughing:

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/080320_grb

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/21...e.htm?list99971

(Personally, I think the 7.5 billion light year distance is way off due to “tired light” or “carbon wisker” distortion effects ( see http://www.world-science.net/othernews/080301_graphite.htm ), nevertheless it was a noteworthy astronomical event!)

Back on topic: How is a GPS useful for astronomy enthusiasts? :)

Being an amatuer astronomer and GPS user, there is actually a very limited use for GPS in astronomy. Basically all the co-ordinates do for astronomy devicees athat use GPS is locate the individual person/telescope/device so the correct star map information is loaded into hte computer of said unit. after that other than possible cauual rechecking to make sure it hasnt moved, the gps is basically asleep as it is not needed.

As far as location a gps can be helpful in locating a dark sky site for observing, say that out of the way backwood site owned by an astronomy club, then again it would sleep and be used little if at all past programming any computer devices.

I'll give a bit of a stretch answer, since it's not my area of expertise, but I'll bet that most of the answers will pivot around knowing where you are.

A device that knows where you are and knows lunar/solar rise/set times could help you align your viewing times. Want to catch Mercury? Knowing sunset is a good start. I frequently use mine when I travel for local sunup/down times and tidal info.

I've seen telescopes that, once they know where you are (there's that GPS thing again...) can locate a body in the sky and even track it in light of the Earth's relative motions.

Bodies that are close - by celestial standards - tend to give wide swings in view depending on your location. Tracking things like ISS is likely much more dependent upon knowing your current location more than finding, say, Polaris.

Putting on my moderator hat for a moment, I'd say that application of GPS to this hobby is probably an OK thing to discuss here. General astronomy chat is probably best done elsewhere. Your post took a turn about half way through that probably shouldn't be followed.

The GPS I picked up was the Colorado. Since the display can have the brightness turned way down low it may be useable for night viewing of celestial maps? One potential application I was envisioning was to load a map with an image of constellations which could be offset to the users viewpoint based on the time/location/position of the viewer. If the tracking for the display was set properly it could automatically rotate to provide a stable sky reference image. Since it could be done entirely in software, it might make a low cost “personal planetarium” app. The map zoom capability with variable details has intriguing possibilities for naked eye/binocular and telescope viewing. I suppose the image would have to compress over 90 degrees view onto the screen when zoomed out so that anything that was viewable above the horizon could be seen on the display by user rotating 360 degrees. Panning/zooming could provide binocular field of view targeting. Thinking kinda like an upside down topo map.

Sorry about the digression on interstellar distances. It is Global Positioning after-all, not Interstellar. It’s all just so exciting I got carried away…. :laughing:

The other ideas posted are great and will help justify the new toy to the Boss. Thanks kindly for the insights!

--I am the King of the house...(But my wife is the Ace)---

You should try Pocket Stars on a Pocket PC. It works great.

I can't imagine that GPS processors would be very good at this type of application. And I can't imagine GPS manufacturers putting the resources into supporting it. Since for the most part your position is stationary once you are stargazing, the GPS "factor" seems minimal. Once you obtain and input your coordinates, you don't need to be able to access them again. And the precision needed is very minimal.

Sorry not to be of more help to your idea with the boss. :laughing:

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

I'm in the game also....been doing astronomy nearly 50 years. As someone (Mad?) mentioned, the GPS feature on modern scopes is basically used to set observing point & align the celestial sphere for the scope's (or handheld's) GoTo system initialization....& more or less becomes moot until your next session, or scope relocation. I don't see much other overlap of the two 'sports' either -- your area limiting magnitude maps available thru local CSC's, combined with Google mapping makes locating dark sky sites fairly easy; I guess you could follow your GPSr to 'em to save printing a map, if you'd rather. (A sheet of paper is cheaper than batteries though.) :unsure:

I have an 8" SCT I connect to a laptop, running TheSKY6, StarryNight Pro, or (my favorite) SkyTools, either or all of which accurately steer my GoTo to any of the millions of objects in their collective databases, or any sky coordinate possible, if they're not. I point the U2K to any 2 stars minimum 20° apart, punch 'Align', & I'm good to go -- what do I need with a Tupperware finder?? :anibad:

But who knows - maybe this ingenious bunch will find a new use.

Clear skies!

~S*H