Has this ever happened to you?

I have been working on a interesting cache now for weeks and really was excited about the whole idea.

Now after spending more than $150 and hours upon hours in the woods, I went to the cache location one last time to wrap up some details and came to the horrible conclusion that it was just not going to work. :huh:

I had a sorta similar experience in which I worked for a week or more on a cache, creating an actual treasure map, a real treasure chest, working out all the details of what would be on the map by visiting the area numerous times and looking for trees, landmarks, areas, etc that were unique enough to have as benchmarks on the map.

The cache hardly got visited (a rant unto itself... If it's not a park and grab that will increase your numbers, people just aren't interested). Worse, within a short time, poison oak covered the bottom of the trail, so all the time and effort spent was wasted, and I had to remove it.

Once I hid a lampost cache, and had to move it to another lampost. 10 minutes wasted.

Actually I did a night cache, with 1 mile of reflectors along a fireroad.

It was working nicely until the firecrew trimmed the bushes back by over 20 feet to widen the firebreak.

All the reflectors on that side were removed with the shrubbery :huh:

I was able to save the route by making another trip thru with new reflectors.

....then a swarm of bees made their home in the rocks where the final cache was hidden. :huh:

I found a neat little park in my city that was devoid of caches. Soooo, I decided I would set a puzzle cache there. I spent a ton of time working out the puzzle to get coordinates just the way I wanted and then found out I was just inside of the cache-to-cache proximity rule due to a cache in a larger park just to the south.

So I tried finding another spot in the park only to realize that I was still inside the proximity rule due to a cache by the water tower to the east. So one more try led me to find that I would not be able to escape the proximity rule because of a cache in an alley to the west across a major roadway. Those three caches made it so that you couldn't hide a cache in the entire park because it was border on the south by the football field!

Before placing our large, concrete-encrusted cache, I had a long conversation with our reviewer about its placement, the demise of the previous cache (someone peed in it) and other logistical details. The thing weighed close to 150#, and we carted it out to the woods on a dolly. Thankfully all went well and ours hasn't been peed in yet!!!

Managed to get out in the field today after about 2 months of planning and research. Found 2 good spots and planted one regular cache. Wanted to venture out a bit further but the path I poltted was not usable and the gorge was way too deep.

Nothing lost, just have to find another route, was sure I could make it on the first pass but when the boy and I got to the drop in point things were very different. Would have been fine if we had some rope and a little less mud. Spent the rest of the time nosing around - mmmm sweet untouched area.

I have been working on a interesting cache now for weeks and really was excited about the whole idea.

Now after spending more than $150 and hours upon hours in the woods, I went to the cache location one last time to wrap up some details and came to the horrible conclusion that it was just not going to work.

Just wondering...what was the hitch? Were you able to find another spot?

I had a cache that I was preparing for weeks, I thought about the hiding spot, and spent a long time on the cache description, just to find out it was to close to a school.

Just to find out? Did you scout the location first?

Now after spending more than $150 and hours upon hours in the woods, I went to the cache location one last time to wrap up some details and came to the horrible conclusion that it was just not going to work.

Just wondering...what was the hitch? Were you able to find another spot?

I had a cache that I was preparing for weeks, I thought about the hiding spot, and spent a long time on the cache description, just to find out it was to close to a school.

Just to find out? Did you scout the location first?

It had nothing to do with the location, the location was fine... maybe even perfect. The mechanics of the cache just were not working smoothly and will never work smoothly.

It had nothing to do with the location, the location was fine... maybe even perfect. The mechanics of the cache just were not working smoothly and will never work smoothly.

And this means......?

Sorry for being so vague, I may still use the some of the concept in a different setting, I know alot of locals check out this forum soooo..... :blink::unsure::huh::anibad:

And this means......?

Sorry for being so vague, I may still use the some of the concept in a different setting, I know alot of locals check out this forum soooo..... :blink::unsure::huh::anibad:

OK.

I had a sorta similar experience in which I worked for a week or more on a cache, creating an actual treasure map, a real treasure chest, working out all the details of what would be on the map by visiting the area numerous times and looking for trees, landmarks, areas, etc that were unique enough to have as benchmarks on the map.

The cache hardly got visited (a rant unto itself... If it's not a park and grab that will increase your numbers, people just aren't interested). Worse, within a short time, poison oak covered the bottom of the trail, so all the time and effort spent was wasted, and I had to remove it.

Sounds like a great cache, even with the poison oak, to me! You could have simply posted in your description that the poison oak is out there then let cachers make up their own minds as to whether they wanted to try for the cache or not. I wouldn't have pulled it for either of the reasons you mentioned.

Most of our caches are of the woodsie, not park and grab type, so we're not expecting many people to find them. Let's face it, alot of people just don't want to put in any effort getting a cache, good or bad, these days. Still, the few logs that do come in are usually more than just "tnln" and that by itself makes it all worth it to us. :anibad:

On topic,,, i've spent hours on ideas (involving electronics and other mechanics) only to find that they would be too hard to implement and maintain. It is frustrating, as i think they would prove to be fun caches for those who sought them out. :unsure: