Sad reality!

Carbon Hunter

I was really sad to have read this log for a nearby cache:

"As we were taking down the detail of the cache, three black guys came around the corner, pulled out a gun, told us to keep quiet and we had to give them our GPS, my BlackBerry and my husband’s cell phone. Luckly they missed our wedding rings.

Sorry but I didn't think to put it back. And I'm not planning on ever going back, it is a very dangerous place.

The police said that the area is one of the most high risk places in south africa.

All in all it was fun hunting for the cache as it is a stunning spot. TFTH

T-The cache

L-Nothing"

And this in a lovely park that we frequent. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Not the kind of experience we would like to have repeated anywhere or with anyone.

Sorry guys.

Really sad to hear about something like this! :huh:B)B) Bad publicity for the sport and for the country. Probably one of the reasons why I am living where I am. Zero crime here - an advantage of living in a Muslim state I suppose. A few disadvantages too, but none life threatening though. :huh:

Which cache was it? Perhaps your warning to others needs to be much more specific so that the area can be avoided. Sorry to the cache owner - he will have to find a safer location for the replacement me thinks.

Have a safe and enjoyable rest of the long weekend of caching.

cincol

We have done a few caches in this park and found it to be one of the safer locations because of all the people using this facility (walking dogs etc..). Safe today, Bad tomorrow !! :huh:B)

To the unfortunate couple we are truly sorry for your loss and scare, we hope this will not put a damper on your future finds and dealings with Geocaching.

Another wakeup call regarding security in public spaces. :huh:

This is exceptionally sad news. This is unfortunately not the first time it's happened to a cacher in SA, Discombob was mugged in the quiet Southern Suburbs of Cape Town, and if I'm not mistaken it's happened to him more than once.

I'm relieved to note that the cachers came to no serious harm, however this is still a traumatic experience which no-one would want to encounter.

It's a shame that this had to happen in a beautiful and quite busy park. I've disabled the cache, and may well archive the entire series at this point. :huh:

Numerous cachers have commented that I cache very little nowadays. It's precisely for this reason. I've done too many caches alone in areas where in retrospect have felt quite unsafe. I therefore very rarely cache alone anymore. I would never have found this park unsafe, and regularly visit it, but I guess we aren't safe anywhere anymore :huh:

Caching alone is a risk anywhere. I was recently stalked by an rather seedy looking and acting individual in Florence, Italy. He followed me for about 45 minutes while I was looking for a puzzle cache in a forested area close to a very busy tourist area. I was quite obviously a "tourist" with camera and GPSr in hand. Twice I made him back off by "using" my GPSr as a telephone and he thought I was calling somebody. Eventually I decided to quit the search as I was very uneasy about the character. He still followed me for a while after leaving the area. I definately would have felt a lot better if I was not alone. Generally I do NOT cache alone.

These cachers were not alone by the look of the description, but were still robbed in a very public place as far as I can make out. Unfortunately this type of crime has become extremely common place in South Africa and I am sure that everyone reading this has either a close friend / acquaintance or a relative who has been mugged at some time or other.

Globalrat, it is saddening to read that a stalwart of 1000+ caches has stopped participating in such a wonderful past-time because of the senseless violence and total disregard for personal dignity and respect of life. I sudder to think what would have happened if the cchers involved had hesitated in handing over their electronic devices to the gun-toting criminals.

Perhaps I need to stop lest my ranting get out of hand.

Globalrat, it is saddening to read that a stalwart of 1000+ caches has stopped participating in such a wonderful past-time because of the senseless violence and total disregard for personal dignity and respect of life.

... just stalled. The upside is caching with mates which is much more fun. Getting everyone's schedules together isn't all that easy. But yep, I used to regularly take my kids with, and they loved it, rarely do nowadays...

What really irks me is that the cache was in a park that is extremely popular and frequented by families and dog walkers etc. Just this last week there has been a huge function and concert in the park. The cache was naturally in a slightly secluded spot, but the pathway is only 5m away and quite busy.

But Cincol, you're right. I've come across some odd characters in London and have abandoned cache hunts there too.

Edited by GlobalRat

This is exceptionally sad news. This is unfortunately not the first time it's happened to a cacher in SA, Discombob was mugged in the quiet Southern Suburbs of Cape Town, and if I'm not mistaken it's happened to him more than once.

Oh dear o dear, that sounds even worse than my experience!

Well, I've been mugged 3 times while caching.

Once by humans, and twice by baboons - luckily I had pepper spray the second times the baboons attacked :anibad:

Perhaps this should be part of fish Eagles new perogative -decline caches in dangerous areas :unsure:

Heres a log from 2005 from a cache in one of my favourite areas for a hike in Cape Town

"Decided to walk to this one one the spur of the moment. There were quite a few very funny characters on the beach (not the nudists). Got to within 50m of the cache when I was interrupted by cries for help from above. A german tourist had been followed from SAndy Bay and attacked. BE VERY CAREFULL IN THIS AREA AND DO NOT GO ON YOUR OWN. Rushed the girl back to hospital in town. Probably won't be back to this area."

I normally feel safe caching in london, although see these logs from a nearby cache, which i was a bit nervous of:

"this area was very busy with cottagers and I was propositioned twice, once in front of my 8 year old daughter! Please be aware that this area is frequented by men wih more on thier minds than Geocaching.

as i walked in with boris the bear, i commented what a nce place this was and full of history, 10 mins later i was keen to leave. Condoms everywhere and many men hovering around looking lovingly at John. Even the tub of vaseline was found, didnt want to search anywhere incase we caught anything. My mothers hand wipes came in use as we left and promptly used them. i wont be back to find this one

Tried to find this cache late on Sunday afternoon and the area was swarming with gay cruisers "

Tried to find this cache late on Sunday afternoon and the area was swarming with gay cruisers "

You actually read the log then go and try the cache afterwards? Discombob.... Are you trying to tell us something..... Whaaaa haaa haaa haaa.

Can just imagine it....

Muggle - "What you doing duckie?"

DB - "I am looking for a little micro round here somewhere"

Muggle - "Oh my dear man, bend over and have a look under that rock there, but I don't think it will be a micro you will be getting."....

DB - bending over to look under rock, "Erk"

Muggle - "See I told you it wouldn't be a micro"

This is really sad, although to be honest I am surprised it does not happen more with the amount of exploring we all do alone in this country. I have been caching many of times, with heart beat pumping as I've not felt exactly safe in an area... but in the end I have figured it was my paranoa more than actual danger. I've been mugged before while walking down the street, out on my lunch break, etc... but never while geocaching. I hope that is because the cache owner keeps it in mind that placing a cache in a potentially dangerous spot is just bad form. But than again, where is a dangerous spot and where is not?

Things like this do happen. There is a thread on the forums of someone being attacked in New York City while caching but about 10 youths. We always need to be cautious of where we are and who is around us.

I seldom take my little boy to find a cache, unless I knwo the area well. I can try and fight alone, but with a toddler... I am too much of a target and don't want him in the situation at all.

Sad, sad, sad... :blink:

Global Rat wrote:

What really irks me is that the cache was in a park that is extremely popular and frequented by families and dog walkers etc. Just this last week there has been a huge function and concert in the park. The cache was naturally in a slightly secluded spot, but the pathway is only 5m away and quite busy.

Was this the park you took Carol and I too that had the concert going on while we were there? It seemed safe enough to me at the time.

I can't say I've heard of a geocacher being accosted in my part of the US, but several have returned from a hike to find their car broken into at a trailhead. A hiker (not a geocacher) was recently murdered not far from a geocache in our north Georgia mountains, but that's a very rare occurance. It was apparently a serial killer too, suspected for doing the same thing in two other states.

I walked 21 miles (about 33 km) around downtown Los Angeles in the course of a week last November hunting caches in the mornings before a work assignment there. There were a lot of "urban outdoorsman" there, but no one bothered me. It might be different after dark though.

Don't know what can be done to prevent this sort of thing, but it's certainly sad to hear it happen. Glad no one was hurt.

~erik~

While we were in P.E over the December 2007 holidays, I met up with a caching family called KingRobert. The found 5 or so caches and were very enthusiastic about hiding their first cache. Next day I heard from them they were held up, car, phones and 2 gps's gone. Luckily the car was found a day or so later.

Looks like the hobby/sport here in South Africa is starting to lean towards an "extreme" sport.

Glad to see that they have continued caching, as EC needs more cachers!

Regards

Anton

Yep - Erik - it is generally a safe park. In SA, I think most caches are in safe areas, but one has to be careful - it is a reality in SA - whether you are cahcing, or walking your dog!

The park in question is close to my house. We often read in the local paper of incidents of crime there. Mostly in "off peak" times. That is people there in quiet times during the week.

I think the reality is that group caching (at least 2 adults) is needed.

I have "felt" a little uneasy a few times caching. Once at Ernie's Rock (another you did I think Erik), and also at Finding Frosty Rock. I suppose the reality is that one has to be vigilant in SA (not just while caching), but caching can expose one a little more than normal.

I know that this could have happened to anyone, anywhere, but am glad that no harm was done to the cachers.

I am really sad that this happened, but do not want to see this dampen our past-time.

I think in general, due to the situation in South Africa, cachers do place caches in "reasonable" places, and trust that they will continue to do so.

I know I did this cache with my 2 sons on a Sunday afternoon - and did not feel threatened at all. But that counts for naught in the bigger picture.

Perhaps this should be part of fish Eagles new perogative -decline caches in dangerous areas :)

Apart from the obvious, "dangerous areas" are transient. What's safe today may not be tomorrow and vice versa.

Was this the park you took Carol and I too that had the concert going on while we were there? It seemed safe enough to me at the time.

Erik, yes it was. There are a number of caches in this park, and most have been there for 3 or more years.

The incident just re-emphasises to be vigilant at all times, and preferably cache in groups where there is doubt. There never is a safeguard.

In discussing this offline, I learned that Harryhound were mugged at a cache in Centurion sometime back as well :anibad:

Was searching the archives when I came upon this thread that is now almost 6 1/2 years old.

This is a very unfortunate part of caching in Africa and one that has to remain upmost in all our minds.

Let's think about this when both hiding AND finding caches.

Sorry to say - the scourge continues and we can think of about 4 or 5 similar situations in the KZN area alone in the past year!

SAFETY FIRST PEOPLE!!!!