Garmin Colorado 300 & Anquet

I have been using the Garmin Foretrex 201 for 2 years with Anquet software http://anquet.co.uk/ and I am pleased with the results.

I am now planning on buying the mapping Garmin Colorado 300 but I would like to be sure that I'll be able to install Anquet software and maps there so that I would see the Ordnance Survey Landranger 1/50,000 map on the screen when I hike.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have been using the Garmin Foretrex 201 for 2 years with Anquet software http://anquet.co.uk/ and I am pleased with the results.

I am now planning on buying the mapping Garmin Colorado 300 but I would like to be sure that I'll be able to install Anquet software and maps there so that I would see the Ordnance Survey Landranger 1/50,000 map on the screen when I hike.

Thank you in advance for your help.

If you are asking whether you can install these maps on the Colorado the answer is no. Looks like this product only supports the PC and PocketPC/Smartphones.

GO$Rs

Here's the list they support:

GPS units

Version 06 of Anquet uses completely in-house code for our GPS functionality, allowing us much more control over device support and speed of response to new units.

Outdoors units

Garmin:

* GPSII+

* GPS12

* GPS 40, 45

* Foretrex 101, 201

* Geko 201, 301

* eTrex Basic, Legend, Venture, Vista, Summit, Camo

* eTrex Legend C, Legend CX, Vista C, Vista CX

* GPS 60, 60CS

* GPSMAP 60, 60C, 60CSX, 76CSX

* StreetPilot 2610.

* Edge 205, 305

* Forerunner 205, 305

Magellan:

* Explorist 400, 500, 600

* Explorist 210

Here's the address to ask for support of your device:

If your unit is not supported, if you could email us at HardwarecheckMYGPS@Anquet.co.uk letting us know which model you have, it will help us prioritise further development.

If you are asking whether you can install these maps on the Colorado the answer is no. Looks like this product only supports the PC and PocketPC/Smartphones.

GO$Rs

This is bad news. What is the point in having a mapping GPS if I can't see where I am on the screen when I hike? I see no improvement in having a big colour screen if I operate the same as with the ForeTrex

Here's the list they support:

clipped

Here's the address to ask for support of your device:

If your unit is not supported, if you could email us at HardwarecheckMYGPS@Anquet.co.uk letting us know which model you have, it will help us prioritise further development.

Thanks. I had seen that online and I have already emailed the support but they have not replied yet. It looks like I better buy a PPC with GPS then. I had tried Anquet mobile on my PPC last year but it was useless because my PPC has no GPS.

This is bad news. What is the point in having a mapping GPS if I can't see where I am on the screen when I hike? I see no improvement in having a big colour screen if I operate the same as with the ForeTrex

You need to get Garmin maps. It is the same with any GPS, they have proprietary vector based maps.

If I read correctly, Anquet is a raster (bitmap) mapping program. Bitmap maps don't make sense on a GPS as they take a lot of memory, are processor intensive and pixelate when you zoom in. Vector mapping is much better. Raster mapping is dying off and I suspect will soon be a thing of the past.

Maps, no...

Transfer of waypoint and tracks, probably...

The Colorado is not like older GPS units. There is no direct communication. You save the items as GPX files. If the software can save and open GPX files, you are good to go.

Transfer of waypoints and tracks is what I already do with the Foretrex. What is the point of a beautiful color screen to visualise GPX files?

Transfer of waypoints and tracks is what I already do with the Foretrex. What is the point of a beautiful color screen to visualise GPX files?

As I said....you buy Garmin maps and install them. Or you can find free maps. They may or may not exist for your area.

The maps you own are only good for PC use or PDA use. Neither are any good in the field.... They look crazy expensive as well, although maybe everything in the UK is expensive. Here in Canada, they are free...

You need to get Garmin maps. It is the same with any GPS, they have proprietary vector based maps.

If I read correctly, Anquet is a raster (bitmap) mapping program. Bitmap maps don't make sense on a GPS as they take a lot of memory, are processor intensive and pixelate when you zoom in. Vector mapping is much better. Raster mapping is dying off and I suspect will soon be a thing of the past.

Thank you for the explanation. I am now starting to understand.

As I said....you buy Garmin maps and install them. Or you can find free maps. They may or may not exist for your area.

The maps you own are only good for PC use or PDA use. Neither are any good in the field.... They look crazy expensive as well, although maybe everything in the UK is expensive. Here in Canada, they are free...

Living in London, I have trouble imagining that you can get 1/25,000 or 1/50,000 digital maps for free. Yes, you are right, everything is expensive here.

Here are UK maps that will load into the Colorado: LINK

Thanks so much for the link. Highly appreciated. I must explore this and I see that there is some help in the GeoX forum. At first sight it looks like those maps are free? Hard to believe. Now I must find SouthEast England, where I mostly hike. I found Essex & Kent but not yet Surrey although I see Slough. I have to look carefully. If I understand well, those maps have only the contours, not the footpaths and all the elements found on Ordnance Survey maps. If it is the case (please if anyone knows, tell me), I am not sure that they'll be as useful as I would need.

The ideal would be to be able to prepare my walks into my laptop and download them into Colorado, as I do with Foretrex, except that I would see the map on Colorado, which I don't see on the Foretrex but I understand that it may still be a dream?

I did see a way to take some of the USGS maps and convert them for use with a Garmin, but it was a very long, drawn out conversion process. Don't know if similar maps are available for the UK.

Might look into a Nokia N800 or N810 -- the N800 will work with a bluetooth GPS and the N810 has a built-in GPS. The only catch is they are Linux-based, so there is a slight learning curve. You can snag maps off many sites for free, and there are also 3rd party mapping programs that will let you use all sorts of different maps. I've even loaded aviation maps and actual satellite images as well. With the 3rd party stuff you have to load the map images at various zoom levels to get a complete usable set of maps.

The ideal would be to be able to prepare my walks into my laptop and download them into Colorado, as I do with Foretrex, except that I would see the map on Colorado, which I don't see on the Foretrex but I understand that it may still be a dream?

You can save as many tracks as you want to the Colorado. At this time, only one can be viewed on the map at a time. It is similar to the Foretrex, expcept the Foretrex has a limit on the number and size of the tracks, the Colorado has no limit.

I would suggest asking in the UK forum about available trail mapping. You would get a better response than here. I tried to look at the ones linked above, but the link to the maps seems to be dead.

I did see a way to take some of the USGS maps and convert them for use with a Garmin, but it was a very long, drawn out conversion process. Don't know if similar maps are available for the UK.

Might look into a Nokia N800 or N810 -- the N800 will work with a bluetooth GPS and the N810 has a built-in GPS. The only catch is they are Linux-based, so there is a slight learning curve. You can snag maps off many sites for free, and there are also 3rd party mapping programs that will let you use all sorts of different maps. I've even loaded aviation maps and actual satellite images as well. With the 3rd party stuff you have to load the map images at various zoom levels to get a complete usable set of maps.

The Nokia N810 looks extremely good. I also looked at the Garmin Mobile XT but my main problem is that I need maps detailed to 1/25,000 or 1/50,000 with footpaths, because I use it for walking and that most of the maps on the market are for motorists with roads rather than footpaths.

You can save as many tracks as you want to the Colorado. At this time, only one can be viewed on the map at a time. It is similar to the Foretrex, expcept the Foretrex has a limit on the number and size of the tracks, the Colorado has no limit.

I would suggest asking in the UK forum about available trail mapping. You would get a better response than here. I tried to look at the ones linked above, but the link to the maps seems to be dead.

Yes the links are dead but if you go up one or two step and then find yourself what you are looking for on the page, they work. I'll look for a forum in the UK about GPS. I found this one because I searched on Garmin Colorado 300.