Garmin etrex H HS

. . for 80 bucks at bass pro and I am thinking of getting it. My etrex legend was a big dissapointment, it started turning off inadvertantly, no matter if it were touched or not, and I had some other problems. Actually it was a second unit, I had to send the first one back for some reason and got the legend back.

But I liked using it for geocashing hiking (when it would pick up a signal in the trees) hunting and fun. I really loved the user friendly software.

Now I have a garmen nuvi for the car that's great. I saw the add for the etrex and figure it's a good time to get one again, with the high sens thing and all. I wouldn't care about the maps as it would be for tracking and marking my own stuff.

I do care about being able to hook it up to a computer but the one I use (computer) doesn't have the 9 hole port, but it does have a USB port. Can I use the cable from my old legend? Which cable can I get to hook mine up the the laptop? I see a USB to RS232 cable for over 50 bucks that I can use with the PC interface cable for the 9 pin port for 40 bucks. So that's almost 100 bucks worth of cables bringing my cost to almost 200 bucks, and that's on sale.

Is there another model I might should consider that comes with a USB cable? I want to be able to hook it up to the computer because I might want to store waypoints and routes and sometimes I had to go to the garmin site for troubleshooting and software upgrades. One time my legend would not find satalights so I updated it at the website and it worked fine after that, well until it shut itself off for no reason.

I don't want to spend a lot of money for features I will not need, I can look at the nuvi if I want a map. I also don't want to spend a lot of money on what so far has been disapointing technology. But If I can get a different model for the price of the entry level one with cords that might be better.

Of course the other option is doing without computer access. For 79.95 that might be the best option of all.

Yes, you can use the cable from your old Legend (assuming it is a plain Legend, not a Legend C or such) for the Etrex H. To get to USB, you would need a USB/Serial adapter. These are NOT $50. Less than $10 on eBay including shipping......

The lowest priced USB model is the Etrex Venture HC, Around $145. This gets you colour and mapping as well as the USB.

Yes, you can use the cable from your old Legend (assuming it is a plain Legend, not a Legend C or such) for the Etrex H. To get to USB, you would need a USB/Serial adapter. These are NOT $50. Less than $10 on eBay including shipping......

The lowest priced USB model is the Etrex Venture HC, Around $145. This gets you colour and mapping as well as the USB.

Actually I meant to say venture in the above post. I have an older legend, hopefully this one will work better. The venture looks like it's just a little more but has more useful bells and whistles. Looks a lot like the old legend that I have sitting useless in a drawer.