It's Tweet!

GeoBlank

It may not be your thing but many people are twittering while they geocache.

http://www.twitter.com/geoblank (for example).

Many active cachers twitter as do the pod casters with geocaching shows.

Something new to play with while it is raining at least :mad:

It's a cool site. I just figured out how to use it. Great for quick little blogging updates about what your up to. If you sign up just add us to your following list. Come on all you twitterbugs!

Something new to play with while it is raining at least :mad:

It's a cool site. I just figured out how to use it. Great for quick little blogging updates about what your up to. If you sign up just add us to your following list. Come on all you twitterbugs!

I haven't used Twitter but I have used a service call Jott (www.jott.com) a few times while geocaching. What is interesting about Jott is that rather than typing in a message on a keyboard or as an instant message you use your cell phone (or any phone) and your voice to create a message. It translates voice to text, saves it as both audio and text and then delivers it as an email message (to yourself, someone else, or a list of email addresses). I've used it to save coin tracking numbers while at the cache. For a numbers run, it could be useful to create a brief log after every cache visited then cut-n-paste the results from email into the online geocache log. I find it much easier to leave a voice message than try to text a message. With a bluetooth headset and voice dialing it would become completely hands free and allow you to focus on walking down a trail instead of looking down at your phone to type in the message.

Something new to play with while it is raining at least ;)

I haven't used Twitter but I have used a service call Jott (www.jott.com) a few times while geocaching. What is interesting about Jott is that rather than typing in a message on a keyboard or as an instant message you use your cell phone (or any phone) and your voice to create a message. It translates voice to text, saves it as both audio and text and then delivers it as an email message (to yourself, someone else, or a list of email addresses). I've used it to save coin tracking numbers while at the cache. For a numbers run, it could be useful to create a brief log after every cache visited then cut-n-paste the results from email into the online geocache log. I find it much easier to leave a voice message than try to text a message. With a bluetooth headset and voice dialing it would become completely hands free and allow you to focus on walking down a trail instead of looking down at your phone to type in the message.

Yeah, I believe twitter does the same thing. I have not put my phone on it yet though, just linked it to my blogspot. I've got links to my twitter page, blog, and facebook page in my gc profile if anyone wants to follow me.

About 80% of the twitters on that GeoBlank appear to be spam. If they can find a way to combat that, I could see it as being interesting. Until such time... I'd rather not have to go through 20 pages of notes to read 1 page equivelant of actual people's notes.

You are looking at a person, not the whole service there. Most people use twitter for multiple purposes, so one person might add links, give cache notes, update general personal information, respond to others etc. That particular user appears pretty normal to me.

Anyway, I doubt there are many on there only using it only to update cache info, although there could be, and then if that was your interest, you could seek out and choose to follow only those people. You will only see notes from those who you follow.

It also isn't for everyone. Plenty of people have no interest in twitter, and that is fine. Maybe even good, considering how overloaded its servers seem to get lately!

There's been a lot of interest in this new form of micro-blogging. One of the fascinating features is the ability to post photos from a cell phone. To geocachers, this is a really cool idea.

As for spam, I only get updates from members of my choosing. It's a great way to keep in touch with other geocachers.

I posted a short tutorial about Twitter on our blog. If interested in Twitter, there's a good start.