gag12

cloudyboy

the gag is a mega event in ottawa ont seem to sheduled in each 6 mouth the last one was from 26 oct 07 but when i seen for the 26 april event the gag12 wasn t there so that was because there no gag12?

The best place to find out about GAG is from the Ottawa Geocaching web site at http://ottawageocaching.com/forum/

There is a thread there that they are planning GAG12 to be in June.

http://ottawageocaching.com/forum/index.php?topic=923.0

serious late like that ok.. :laughing:

:) Well, that is a rather disappointing response. Yes, the event is going a few months later then usual, and I think it will be only once a year instead of twice. Having attended 9 of these events, we have seen it grow from a small event, even held in a back yard to reserving an entire restaurant, it has become a lot of work and passed from a pair of cachers to a committee to plan it. In June this year eh, will have to plan on making it to this one, missed the last one to much regret.

serious late like that ok.. :)

We have lots of other events in Ottawa if that is what you are looking for. There is a CITO event in April, posed on GC. We have Monthly events (last Tuesday of the month Mexi's at dow's lake 6pm, posted on GC) and now a geocacher anominous event mid month also posted on GC. There is also usually a breakfast event in Hull mid month. GAG's are less often due to cost and amount of people (finding space for 200+ inside, in a winter month, comes at a cost) If you are looking to get out caching there is the weekend mob that you can join details on their plan is on the Ottawa forum. Or you could just sulk :) and wait til the GAG, but seriously rather then doing that come out and meet us and have a great time! :laughing:

For information :

1) The GAG is a big event, but it has never quite reached the "mega event" level... it is meant to be a fun event, not a tourist attractions bringing people from all over the world to Ottawa.

2) GAG events were never exactly 6 months apart.

For the record :

GAG1 2002/02/23

GAG2 2002/11/16

GAG3 2003/06/07

GAG4 2004/02/28

GAG5 2004/09/11

GAG6 2005/04/09

GAG7 2005/10/15

GAG8 2006/04/29

GAG9 2006/10/21

GAG10 2007/04/28

GAG11 2007/10/27

There was a longer delay between the first ones, then they settled in April and October, but with some variations on date to get an appropriate Saturday night. Tick & Nammie organized the first 10 GAG, then a small group of volunteers took up the tradition.

April tends to be muddy, so we thought people would appreciate a move to a slightly later date.

Well, some people will appreciate it, others will just find reasons to complain, no matter what we do :anibad:

I actually like that there are smaller, but more frequent events now in Ottawa.

GAG events are always very welcoming to newcomers. I am fortunate that GAG5 occurred about two weeks after I started geocaching in 2004. I walked into the restaurant completely nervous and knowing nobody, but was welcomed with open arms. Today, walking into a GAG event brings you to a noisy room of 250 people. It is fun, but it is also crazy mayhem, a lot of work to plan and possibly intimidating to someone who is new to all of this.

While I always felt welcomed at all the GAGs, I still cached largely alone and only knew the other Ottawa cachers as familiar faces -- you may see them, but you still don't really know them. In the last couple of years, thanks to the monthly and weekly events, I'm now proud to call many of these people friends (I think you pass from being "geocaching acquaintance" to "friend" when we call each other by real names instead of geo-names :huh: ). I see some of them every week as we cache together in the "geomob", and at least twice, if not three times a month, by going to the CCC monthly, "Geocacher's Anonymous", the AGO breakfast, and any other events that happen to come up.

I think I could safely say that even if regular GAG events never happened again in Ottawa, I would probably not miss them as I see my caching friends so frequently as it is. But that said, I'm definitely looking forward to GAG12! :ph34r:

Edited by GreyingJay