Which of these units should I pick?

sdfyfe

Hi - I just received a recognition from my company and am allowed to shop the reward catalog for my gift. I have a choice of the following units: Garmin eTrex Vista 24 MB, Lowance iFinder H2O Handheld, Garmin eTrex Legend, Magellan eXplorist 210, Garmin eTrex Venture. I would be using the unit for geocaching only and since I am new to it, I don't know how much it will be used so I don't want to spend my points unnecessarily. I would be willing to spend more money on a better unit once I decide I like to geocache.

Which one should I get?

Thanks, Susan

Hi - I just received a recognition from my company and am allowed to shop the reward catalog for my gift. I have a choice of the following units: Garmin eTrex Vista 24 MB, Lowance iFinder H2O Handheld, Garmin eTrex Legend, Magellan eXplorist 210, Garmin eTrex Venture. I would be using the unit for geocaching only and since I am new to it, I don't know how much it will be used so I don't want to spend my points unnecessarily. I would be willing to spend more money on a better unit once I decide I like to geocache.

Which one should I get?

Thanks, Susan

If those are your only choices then I'd go with the Garmin eTrex Vista 24 MB, but double-check to see if they are offering the newer HCX models.

Which one should I get?

The one YOU like the best...

That may be a tough decision if you aren't familiar with any of the units. If you have time to comparison shop before making your decision, definitely take the time to do it. Talk to some of your friends or coworkers and see if any of them have one of the ones you are considering. They may be able to offer some insight to the quirks of the different units you are considering.

Good luck with whichever one you choose!

Which one should I get?

Thanks, Susan

I've had used the three Garmin eTrex models, but not the others, so I can't really help you.

Of the three Garmins listed, the Vista is better than the Legend, and the Legend is better than the Venture. If you had to choose one of those three, and they were the same number of points, then the Vista would be the way to go.

That said, those models are older, and don't have the high-sensitivity receivers that the newer eTrex models have, so you might find yourself losing satellite lock in the woods or on city streets with tall buildings.

I think (but I'm not certain) the the Explorist 210 has better reception under tree cover than the old black-and-white etrex models.

I've never tried a Lowrance iFinder H2O, but I remember that Briansnat used to give them good reviews for a beginner's handheld model.

I know less than nothing about the Maggie or the Lowrance, but I did have a Vista b/w until it was stolen from my truck.

The Vista has an electronic compass (Garmin's words) that I am spoiled to. I have turned it off on the 60CSx before, and quickly realized I didn't like being without.

If you have a little time, you might go to a large sporting goods store and see them side by side, if still available.

BTW my comment of Garmin's words, some here will argue the electronic compass is not a compass. I like that it always points at the waypoint (Geocache), and I don't care what it's called.

PP4x4

Which one should I get?

Thanks, Susan

Susan,

First things first. Congratulations for receiving recognition from your Company. In today's day and age, that is sometimes difficult or often overlooked. Kudos for your Company to take the time to not only give some recognition to an employee who has performed above and beyond, but to provide a reward as well. Great job! Keep it up.

With regard to your choice of a unit.............. I can't give any better advice than those before me. I happen to use a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It has a small footprint. A very nice, readable, color screen. It can be used right out of the box for geocaching. It's simple to use and, the good news is, if you decide you like geocaching, you don't have to go out and replace this unit, merely upgrade with some City Navigator or TOPO USA maps, etc........ The unit, right out of the box, comes with basic mapping of the Continental U.S., Alaska, etc.........

As with another contributor above, I have come to LOVE the electronic compass feature and the fact that it will point me right in to the cache with a direction arrow, distance, time to arrival, etc...... I'm always right on the cache.

Hope this helps.

Gil

If it were me I would choose the Explorist 210. It has an excellent receiver, takes large numbers of waypoint and geocache files. It will load maps, but is limited to its memory. I would not choose the Legend or Vista if they are the original models. The receiver is a couple of generations old and not very sensitive (I have the Legend.) You may want to do more research on the iFinder. Not as popular, but has some good features.