Question on Team Caching

Is there a way to build a "caching" team the team would be composed of other members. As a team you can go out and find caches and when the team finds the cache the members present from the team get credit. I know it is not all about numbers but we all like to see our finds go up in numbers. I currently have several people approach me with the idea of building a team. I like the idea of a team and like the idea of logging it once and all parties get credit on their indvidual accounts as well. Suggestions Ideas?

Thanks...

Happy Easter He is has risen and I for one am thankful... Psalms 46:1

Edited by Check_into_cache

Is there a way to build a "caching" team the team would be composed of other members. As a team you can go out and find caches and when the team finds the cache the members present from the team get credit. I know it is not all about numbers but we all like to see our finds go up in numbers. I currently have several people approach me with the idea of building a team. I like the idea of a team and like the idea of logging it once and all parties get credit on their indvidual accounts as well. Suggestions Ideas?

Thanks...

No, that is not possible. Everybody has to log individually. Or you could set up a brand new "team" account, and log "team" finds to that account. I have cached by myself many times. Many times with other cachers. Different cachers at different times. A "team" log would not represent what I do. Are you only planning to cache with the "team". All "team" members there, every time?

Our team is me and my kids.

We ain't too concerned about the numbers...more concerned about alligators.

:unsure:

Me too but my wife and kids seldom go with me anymore. I have been present for every find and I am also the one that logs the finds. We don't have alligators, so I'm more concerned with rattlesnakes and Black Widows...

I once thought that might be a good idea. The problem arises when the cache owner needs to check up on the cache and tries to reconcile logs. Most of us are pretty laid back (some don't do it at all) about checking logs, but it might get confusing reconciling the two.

Next is an issue of having one person log the cache and several accounts "getting credit." There are only two ways I can think of to do that. One is to duplicate the one log into several logs, but that'd be irritating to folks getting PQs as they would be getting useless duplicate logs--the space of which is limited to only 5. The other way is to build a different database scheme splitting tables into the log and then who gets credit for that log. Both are something I don't see happening.

You pretty much either cache as an individual or as a permanent team. You might have several individuals and teams caching together, but they sign and log separately.

I know it can be a pain, but look at it from this perspective: others get to hear from each of you.

Several years ago, when I started caching, I went with the name 'Team Madog'. At that time I thought that since I didn't always cache alone that I should in some manner give credit to those I cache with. After several years, I realized that I was the only constant, the one doing all of the logging and I'm the one present for all the finds, so I changed my name to reflect an individual. I always give credit for others with me in my logs. So, bottom line, I believe everyone should have their own account that reflects those caches that they participated in the location of. As for getting the individual numbers up, as mentioned by the OP, each person present needs to log their participation.

I cache with a team and individually. The team is a group of Moms and kids from our Mom's club. When I'm out with them, the finds are logged under our team name and that's it. When I'm out with my family, it goes under my individual account. I'm not concerned about the numbers, we just like to have a good time.

Thanks...

It's not possible at this point on this site.

I like the concept of teams though. Rather like SETI at home teams. Team scores and team stats can lead to some nice angles to this activity.

I'm really new to this and am planning on logging my finds as an individual. Even though my first 2 outings with be with other people.

Today, I'm heading out with a friend to play with the new office GPS and get comfortable with it in our city.

Then Monday, 6 of us are headed out for an office Team Building day. We're gonna cache... and I'll try to get them all to sign the logs. But I'll be logging them as an individual here at the site. It's highly unlikely that all 6 of us will get into the sport/game...

*shrug* don't know if that makes sense to anyone else... but that's my thinking.

~Ariel

I started off as a team to get the entire family involved. Sometimes they come along but most times they don't :unsure: Possibly the same situation as TrailGators and Blaidd-Drwg?

When it comes time to post logs there are times where I write "I", which doesn't always make sense for a team, and other times where I write "we" (and explain who was with me).

Am seriously considering changing to a solo name but haven't checked into what hoops I need to jump through to get it done.

Plus, I didn't realize when I started that a long name can be a pain to write on micro logs :blink:

Papa EGTH

I like the concept of teams though. Rather like SETI at home teams. Team scores and team stats can lead to some nice angles to this activity.
I used to do SETI At Home! I quit when they changed to the new system a few years ago and wouldn't carry over work unit counts from the old process. I lost my count total of well over 5,000 work units.

Still, SETI at Home is a pretty cool project.

I started off as a team to get the entire family involved. Sometimes they come along but most times they don't :blink: Possibly the same situation as TrailGators and Blaidd-Drwg?

When it comes time to post logs there are times where I write "I", which doesn't always make sense for a team, and other times where I write "we" (and explain who was with me).

Am seriously considering changing to a solo name but haven't checked into what hoops I need to jump through to get it done.

Plus, I didn't realize when I started that a long name can be a pain to write on micro logs ;)

Papa EGTH

I have the same issue but I'm sticking with my team name in hopes that the other team members might rejoin me someday. :blink:

If I were you I'd sign logs using "EGTH." :unsure:

When we first started caching my brothers and I would sign and log seperately. Well that didn't last long, my brothers are actually more interested in caching than logging. So since it is my GPSr and I am always present, I log the finds and those with me. I cache by myself and with many different people, so this is how it works for us.

I started off as a team to get the entire family involved. Sometimes they come along but most times they don't :blink: Possibly the same situation as TrailGators and Blaidd-Drwg?

Plus, I didn't realize when I started that a long name can be a pain to write on micro logs ;)

Papa EGTH

I have the same issue but I'm sticking with my team name in hopes that the other team members might rejoin me someday. :blink:

If I were you I'd sign logs using "EGTH." :unsure:

This is how we started out as well, with a family account; however, when I deploy it is very difficult, basically impossible for the family to geocache with me. Iraq is not the place for family geocaching. At any rate, my wife and two younger teenagers enjoy reading the logs that I post on the finds. We found that it is just easier to keep the family account then try to make separate accounts for everyone. One of the best surprises I gave my wife and youngest daughter were the photos from a cache find in Gibraltor in 2006.