Pocket PDA with GPS, Internet Access and NO phone

quadcity007

I'm dying to play Wherigo and am actively searching for a PDA to purchase. I already have a phone and really want to stay away from devices such as the AT&T tilt or anything else which has phone capabilities.

Is it possible to play Wherigo utilizizing a device such as the HP 211 (latest model)? I'm basically not sure if

1) Wherigo will run on this device (was it tested yet?)

2) it's possible to purchase a gps add-on for pocket PDAs which do not have phone service?

Of course, please feel free to offer up any recommendations. I also intend to use the pda to enable me to go "paperless" while geocaching.

2) it's possible to purchase a gps add-on for pocket PDAs which do not have phone service?

Yes. For instance, I have a Dell Axim, a PDA that is not a phone. You can purchase Bluetooth GPS receivers and pair them with the PDA.

However, you must have a PDA with Windows Mobile, aka Pocket PC.

For your first question, I do not know with absolute certainty.

From the HP page for the HP211

-----------

Display 4" transflective TFT 65K color 480 x 640 pixel (VGA) touch panel display with LED backlight

-----------

The Wherigo player currently is not supporting VGA displays. It only displays half of the text and graphics on VGA displays. The top half.

So ... the answer to your question is - currently no, the HP 211 would not be a good choice.

Wherigo is in its earliest development stages. If you are looking buy a new handheld PPC device to play it I would wait.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI