Garmin Street Pilot users

mgoose

Wanting to buy my wife a Car GPS. Have been looking at the StreetPilot series or maybe a Nuvi.

Have been seeing the streetPolits on sale a lot .

Would like to here for some that used them ,likes and what you did'nt like about them and Nuvi ??

Want voice and maybe bluetooth. Have readed where some cachers use these units to get them close to the cache then us a hand held unit. Are they loading caches on these units like a hand held unit ??

Any help would be Great.

Thanks ahead of time !!

Never know I might can sneak it out to use on cache trips ! :(

With the 2XX series Nüvis, I'd say that Streetpilots are no more to consider.

For just voice, get either the 260 or 255 (but the 255 will be available only 2nd quarter).

If you want Bluetooth too, consider the 360 and higher (that includes the 6XX series, 7XX series, and 8XX series).

You can compare models here :(

Wanting to buy my wife a Car GPS. Have been looking at the StreetPilot series or maybe a Nuvi.

Would like to here for some that used them ,likes and what you did'nt like about them and Nuvi ??

Want voice and maybe bluetooth. Have readed where some cachers use these units to get them close to the cache then us a hand held unit. Are they loading caches on these units like a hand held unit ??

Any help would be Great.

Thanks ahead of time !!

Never know I might can sneak it out to use on cache trips ! :unsure:

I really like Garmin products, I have a Nuvi 360 and a Vista HCx. They are both very good in many areas.

The Nuvi 360 is great with a bluetooth device if, your device recognizes the Nuvi and vice versa. (their are compatibility issues) The speaker and the mic are very limited. the speaker is very hard to hear unless you are right up on it and same with the mic. Me, if I was in the market for another portable car/mobile nav system I would look at the Tom Toms like the 920 they are rich in features, and they seem to of good build quality. price is not that far from the 360.

Any help would be Great.

Thanks ahead of time !!

I have had a SP III, and still have a 2610 and a 2820. In my opinion the 2820 is the cream of the crop, but it depends on how involved you want to get using a GPS. I use probably 90% of the features on the unit.

One tech rep from Garmin told me the Nuvis are dumbed down versions of the Street Pilot and that they came out with that line because of complaints that the Street Pilots were too hard to use. She said many people just want to sit them on the dash, punch a couple of buttons and go.

One tech rep from Garmin told me the Nuvis are dumbed down versions of the Street Pilot and that they came out with that line because of complaints that the Street Pilots were too hard to use. She said many people just want to sit them on the dash, punch a couple of buttons and go.

That may not be the exact truth. A friend owns a Street Pilot and I navigate a lot when we are driving. It is a good unit and does quite a bit. I bought a Nuvi 660 a while back. It does a lot more, has a bigger and brighter screen, and is far more intuitive to operate. I can't think of a function the the Street Pilot has, that I have tried to use, that the Nuvi doesn't do better. And, I get to do the same things without pushing as many buttons. I know some will disagree, but that is just MHO.

In addition, he doesn't have bluetooth, MP3, traffic watch, extra POI support, plus a couple of other things I can't remember at the moment. I'm not knocking the Street Pilot or the Garmin rep. - just stating a different viewpoint. Either would be a good choice in my experience.

Any help would be Great.

Thanks ahead of time !!

Thanks for all the info and the help . The more info the better. Thanks again !

That may not be the exact truth. A friend owns a Street Pilot and I navigate a lot when we are driving. It is a good unit and does quite a bit. I bought a Nuvi 660 a while back. It does a lot more, has a bigger and brighter screen, and is far more intuitive to operate. I can't think of a function the the Street Pilot has, that I have tried to use, that the Nuvi doesn't do better. And, I get to do the same things without pushing as many buttons. I know some will disagree, but that is just MHO.

In addition, he doesn't have bluetooth, MP3, traffic watch, extra POI support, plus a couple of other things I can't remember at the moment. I'm not knocking the Street Pilot or the Garmin rep. - just stating a different viewpoint. Either would be a good choice in my experience.

He must have an older SP then because my 2820 has all of the above plus it is also waterproof and motorcycle friendly, will hold 50 routes 660=0, will hold 2000 waypoints 660=500, will do multiple destinations giving most direct route, will do XM navtraffic, and has a remote control

I had a Street Pilot C330, upgraded last year to a Nuvi 350. I also have a C340 in my company car.

That said... Nuvi 200 is $50 LESS than either of the C3xx (today's Amazon price). I'd go for the Nuvi for the car, just pick the features from the chart here, to decide what features you want.