searching for cycling and caches

littlek

My son is keen to go out and find a cache on mainly off road cycling. I can see an ok to bike and not ok to bike icon on each cache description but I would like to know if there is a search mechanism on the geocaching site to search for caches I can find by bike. Can anyone help me?

I've seen the cycle chaos topic and I am aware of Sustrans routes but this doesn't quite answer my query.

Thanks

P.s I am particularly interested to fin out about caches we can find on bike in west yorkshire, Bradford and region in case any of you out there know of soe routes!

:(

Edited by littlek

Well the way I do it is not too sophisticated....

I simply use Memory map on my PDA, and if I fancy caching by bike I take a look at the map, work out which flags are on Bridleways Etc and potter off to do them ....

Of course every now and then I get it wrong by accident and end up on a cheeky trail but ....... well that belongs on a differant thread :(

My son is keen to go out and find a cache on mainly off road cycling. I can see an ok to bike and not ok to bike icon on each cache description but I would like to know if there is a search mechanism on the geocaching site to search for caches I can find by bike. Can anyone help me?

I've seen the cycle chaos topic and I am aware of Sustrans routes but this doesn't quite answer my query.

Thanks

P.s I am particularly interested to fin out about caches we can find on bike in west yorkshire, Bradford and region in case any of you out there know of soe routes!

:(

You can search on the bike allowed attribute if

1. you are a premium member (to run PQs)

2. cache owners complete the attributes correctly (most do)

I did start a bookmark list of caches that were accessible by bike but not obviously so, but I got zero feedback and haven't updated it for a while

If you are comfortable with your son (and yourself) cycling along canal and river towpaths then have a search on google map for trails of caches along rivers and canals in your area. As long as cycling is allowed on those paths you should be able to find a few caches along an off road route that can be cycled.

I'm not familiar with caches in your area but the Thames Path, Thames Moorings and Weyside Wander series are good examples from my area. There may be similar series of caches in Yorkshire too.

A quick search of google map on geocaching.com came up with a few suggestions for river/canalside cyclecaching routes.

Near Bingley there are a series of "River Walk" caches which have the bikes allowed attribute and other caches nearby, see GC14KG7 and look at the nearby caches too.

Another line of caches which may be suitable for cycling starts at Kirkstall Lock near Kirkstall (GCHRY6) and follows a towpath towards Newlay Lock (GCHRY4).

These groupls of caches may be worth investigating.

Also see if there are any caches on Forestry Commission land near you. They often have fire roads and off road trails where cycling is permitted.

well folks - I don't know if any more suggestions might come in (please do add even if years from now!) but may I thank you all for your help.

I like all the ideas including VW keychain's suggestion to follow river/canal walks and look up Forestry Commission paths, as well as Fat Boy Slow's simliar suggestion but looking for bridleways in the hope of finding it being bikable too.

I'll leave Macroderma's suggestion of becoming a premium member for the moment but It sounds as if we do need more cachers who like cycling like Keehotee and Maple Leaf (and perhaps I will too and anyone out there) to start bookmarks for 'cyclecaching' such as Cyclechaos and Strawberry Line bookmarks. I'm sure the idea will ca(t)che on if you can pardon the pun!.And it would be great if we can get some links from Sustrans and any bike routes/sites out there to Geocaching site and vice versa.

Thanks Sue and Bernie for a simple and yet effective idea of just cycling to a cache area , lock up the bikes, go search and then return!

Keep the cycling and caching ideas coming in and especially if you're in West Yorks area.

P.s this has been my very first message I've posted on a forum so I'm well chuffed with the response I got back - when my e-mail went out into cyberspace I did wonder if anyone out there would read it or reply. So thanks for for giving me some confidence to do more of this forum stuff! :)

Thanks Sue and Bernie for a simple and yet effective idea of just cycling to a cache area , lock up the bikes, go search and then return!

Our pleasure! I would add that it is handy to carry a pair of "Ron Hills" for when off-bike, cycling shorts provide scant protection against nettles etc. Also makes us pair rather more presentable when we want to have a pit-stop at any handy hostelry.

We've gone full circle, we first bought a Garmin hand-held to support our casual, long-distant bike rides. We then discovered geo-caching and now caches form the focus of our cycle rides - but only when the sun is shining. We don't suffer for our sport!