Mapsource vs. Trip & Waypoint Manager

I just received my Vista HCX and US Topo 2008. I've already installed the drivers manually (downloaded latest from Garmin) and used WebUpdater for the GPSr software. Do I need to install T&W Manager? Doesn't Mapsource US Topo have all the same features?

I know Mapsource Topo has more features (mapping obviously one of them), but is it missing anything that T&W Manager has?

I like a clean PC. I just hate extra, unused software that sits around for nothing.

No you don't need both, the Trip & waypoint software is basically just a stripped down version of one of Garmins map products. If you install both mapsource will have a drop-down menu to switch between topo and the trip & waypoint manager.

I like to think of mapsource as the operating system, and each map product as installed software. This is why when you update mapsource it only changes, fixes or adds features but doesn't update any of your map products. Maybe this isn't a good analogy but it works for me. :(

Edited by hogrod