New Indiana DNR Spring Caching Game!

501_Gang

Thanks 501 Gang for posting the initial information. Most of the questions can be answerd through the FAQs posted on the website above. The press release also answers some other questions. I have pasted it below from the DNR website. You'll probably see it in your local paper this week.

The Spring Geocaching Quest starts April 5, giving Indiana State Park visitors who have access to a GPS receiver yet another reason to visit Indiana's State Parks, Reservoirs, and Recreation Areas.

The Quest invites visitors to explore these state properties for a chance at an assortment of prizes, featuring a $100 gift card to the state park inns, $50 gift cards from Cabela's, prizes from Dick's Sporting Goods, and Indiana State Museum tickets.

Geocaches will be hidden at 24 state properties for players to find and use to stamp a special bingo-style game card, which can be downloaded at geocaching.com. At the same Web site, players can search under "Spring Geocaching Quest" to get the coordinates for each hidden geocache.

Each game card must be postmarked by July 7 to be eligible for the different prizes, the reception of which is based on how each player completes the card.

Random caches stashed throughout the spring may contain gift certificates from Dick's Sporting Goods and tickets to the state museum. The grand prize for completing a large square on the game card includes a $100 Inns Gift card, a 2008 DNR Annual Entrance Pass, a $50 gift card from Cabela's, and four free tickets to the state museum. Additional prizes will go out for each 5-in-a-row that is completed on the game card and mailed in before the July 7 deadline.

Special Spring Geocaching Quest geocaches will be found on the following state properties: Brookville Lake, Brown County, Clifty Falls, Fort Harrison, Indiana Dunes, J. Edward Roush Lake, Lieber SRA, Lincoln, McCormick's Creek, Mississinewa, Mounds, O'Bannon Woods, Ouabache, Patoka Lake, Pokagon, Potato Creek, Raccoon, Salamonie, Shakamak, Spring Mill, Summit Lake, Tippecanoe River, Versailles, and Whitewater Memorial.

The Spring Geocaching Quest also coincides with a revamped park patch program for kids of all ages called "Hoosier Quest." Visitors to the State Parks and Reservoirs this summer can connect with the state parks and earn special patches and pins to take home. For more information on the Hoosier Quest program, visit a State Park or Reservoir Nature Center.

Participation in Quest is free, but regular State Park and Reservoir per-vehicle entrance fees of $4 for Indiana residents, $5 for Indiana residents on the weekend, and $7 for out-of-state residents ($10 out of state at Indiana Dunes State Park) apply. Annual Entrance Passes are also available at park entrances.

I bought an annual pass last year, thinking that I was going to geocache a lot in state parks. Alas, I used it one time, the same day that I bought it. :huh: That was when I was in a geocaching rut. However, I'm pretty much out of it as the 49 geocaches that I found in 22 counties this last weekend demonstrates. (I'm still logging them.) Thanks for bringing this to my attention. IOVA DELENDA EST!

Hey, just thought of something: since this contest involves stamping our bingo card with a stamp found in the cache, will the caches be listed as letterbox hybrids? That would be cool - that's an icon we don't have yet.

Mrs. Car54

Honestly, I had not considered it. I just read the guidelines for a hybrid, and see no reason why these wouldn't qualify. My only question would be whether these need listed on a letterbox site to qualify? I may explore having them listed as hybrids.

Will there be something for the first to get 5 in a row or first to get the outer square done or is it just a drawing at the end in July?

There is a large bulk prize for the winner of the outer square drawing. There are no plans for promoting any race like feel to the contest, as was the case with the Fall Into Geocaching. There are bonus prizes and extra rewards in place for participants that have not been promoted. They will be revealed to folks that complete a card and submit it in the contest. :ph34r:

A couple quick announcements...

Some have had trouble seeing the gamepiece parks. We are uploading a darker gamepiece onto the geocaching pages today.

Also, congrats to Los Lacos. Their name was drawn from nearly 100 geocache logs from this weekend. They're getting a DNR unactivated geocoin. Congrats!

Congratulations on the winners of the Spring Geocaching Quest. They were selected from dozens of returned entries and over 370 geocaching teams that played. See if you recognize any from their real names below:

Grand Prize Winner (DNR pass, $100 gift card, $50 Cabelas Gift Card, State Museum Tickets)

Karen Tagliaferri

South Bend, IN

Other Prize Winners:

Cathy Vannice

Elletsville, IN

Larry Cosmo

St. John, IN

Brian Sheahan

Plainfield, IN

Steven Kenaga

Anderson, IN

Anne Hartman

Indianapolis, IN

George Buss

Muncie, IN

Gina Schmidt

Elletsville, IN

Jillian Baker

Greenfield, IN

Congratulations on the winners of the Spring Geocaching Quest. They were selected from dozens of returned entries and over 370 geocaching teams that played. See if you recognize any from their real names below:

Grand Prize Winner (DNR pass, $100 gift card, $50 Cabelas Gift Card, State Museum Tickets)

Karen Tagliaferri

South Bend, IN

Other Prize Winners:

Cathy Vannice

Elletsville, IN

Larry Cosmo

St. John, IN

Brian Sheahan

Plainfield, IN

Steven Kenaga

Anderson, IN

Anne Hartman

Indianapolis, IN

George Buss

Muncie, IN

Gina Schmidt

Elletsville, IN

Jillian Baker

Greenfield, IN

Karen Tagliaferri

South Bend, IN

Other Prize Winners:

Cathy Vannice

Elletsville, IN

Larry Cosmo

St. John, IN

Brian Sheahan

Plainfield, IN

Steven Kenaga

Anderson, IN

Anne Hartman

Indianapolis, IN

George Buss

Muncie, IN

Gina Schmidt

Elletsville, IN

Jillian Baker

Greenfield, IN

I am just curious, there were 370 teams that played, dozens of entries but only 9 prizes were given out. Why so few? What were the additional prizes?

I saw on the DNR website that one of the Grand Prizes was a 2008 Park Pass. Why not a park pass for 2009 since the 2008 pass will expire in a few months.

The gouge in fuel prices prevented me from doing 5 parks because of the distance between them. If there is a game next year, might want to take that into consideration so more people can participate. Just my 2 cents worth!

From what I read in the original releases there were state museum tickets, and hundreds of dollars worth of Dick's Sporting Goods certificates in the actual caches for people to find. Many logs mention finding them, thus only one cache needed to win something.

It looks like more than 9 prizes were awarded. Many were given in prize bundles (making the prizes categories worth more).

I bet in April when the contest began, they had 08 passes and didn't have 09 passes to giveaway.