Caching without a GPS

tb88

I just learned about this whole activity and really want to try sometime. Problem is I don't have a GPS. I'm pretty good with reading maps and using a compass, how difficult would geocaching be with these far less technologically advanced tools?

Is it a good idea to even try, or should I just save up for a GPS?

Could be tough if you don't have landmarks to get a fix from. A lot of caches are in urban areas, and you can pretty much use Google Earth to get a fix on them. But here in Illinois (a/k/a the Flatlands), a lot are in the middle of forests. Theoretically, it could be done, but you'd have to be really good with the map and compass.

I'm hoping to go for mostly the ones out in the forests along 4wheel-drive trails and what not (northern arizona). I've gotten to larger landmarks (lava tube entrence, natural bridge, ect.) but I'm afraid something small like a cache might be a little tough. I guess the only way to know is to try it out!

That's how I got my start caching. I've probably found around 6-8 without a gps. Before I got the gps, I would use Google maps, switch to satellite view and zoom all the way in. The trick is locating landmarks you can find in the field. I've done a couple that were off hiking trails in heavily wooded areas as well, but I used landmarks such as lake docks and curves of the river to zero in, and sometimes I'd get lucky and use clues from the cache page, such as details or studying the photo gallery.

It can be done... You'll just snag a whole lot more with a gps in hand. :unsure:

I'm hoping to go for mostly the ones out in the forests along 4wheel-drive trails and what not (northern arizona). I've gotten to larger landmarks (lava tube entrence, natural bridge, ect.) but I'm afraid something small like a cache might be a little tough. I guess the only way to know is to try it out!

You might just make it without a GPS, I end up at times knowing its right in front of me. Just can not see it.

What I am finding out is go to the geocaching website store and outside venders. Take a look at the wide variety of cache containers from rocks to micro battery gizmos. elec wall plates even grass stems to blend in. then there is always the ol replace the fence post cap with a cache on the inside. So stay open minded and don't destroy the areas looking for them. I usually take a branch or stick and wipe out my tracks so its not easy for the next cacher.

I started caching like Pnerissa, alot of my early finds were down to local knowledge and a good hint. Using google map you can zoom in and often pinpoint which tree a cache is hidden under as long as there aren't too many trees around!

Use google maps satellite images, the hint on the cache page, and study the logs and photos of previous finders and you may have a chance.

I just learned about this whole activity and really want to try sometime. Problem is I don't have a GPS. I'm pretty good with reading maps and using a compass, how difficult would geocaching be with these far less technologically advanced tools?

Is it a good idea to even try, or should I just save up for a GPS?

If you are good with maps, you will probably know that the coordinates posted respond to the longitude and latitude on the map. You will be able to transfer the coordinates to your paper map, so you can pretty much pinpoint the location on the map. It is definately easier with the GPS, but it is definately possible with map and compass. Even in the woods. But you should probably try for a cache that is close to a landmark, brook, stream, hill, and so on. Happy hunting.