Hunting Saftey

Nikon-ing

Hi fellow cachers. First we want to thank you all for the dedication some of you put into this awesome sport.

We're new cache-addicts and are realizing all new aspects to the game every time we go out. Yesterday, the subject of HUNTERS came up. We heard gunshots not too far in the distance and I realized that I don't know when hunting season is. How can I know when to wear ORANGE? Is there a good, reliable resource out there that will tell me the dates of the different hunting seasons in my area?

I checked out the Division of Fish & Wildlife site, but couldn't find a schedule of when the different hunting seasons begin and end. I'd appreciate any help.

It does not have to be open season for people to want to go shooting.

Many a kid spends the weekend plinking.

If there is any doubt in YOUR mind as to the safety in an area...

By all means wear some orange!

Or any bright color that in not natural.

Brite blue is good, Hot Pink...

Edited by Pat in Louisiana

In some states it's nearly always hunting season for something. Seeing as you are in NJ, you can rest easy. I don't think anything is in season right now. Also hunting is not allowed on Sundays in NJ.

Looks like the next season is in April for turkey.

NJ Small Game Seasons

NJ Deer seasons.

It is always hunting season for Geocaches. :(

And NO bag limits! However Catch and Release is the general rule.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Just a question not a judgment.

Is hunting permitted on public property?

Example: There is a state park near here that allows hunting in certain areas of the park. During deer shotgun season, the whole park is closed to all except hunters, but that's only two weekends a year. During deer archery season (and small game season), the park is still open. One needs to be aware that some caches are hidden in the hunting areas.

Edited by KG1960

Sorry! Forgot I posted this question and never came back to thank you all for your help. Found someone at work who lives to hunt, so I'll check with him on proper dates. In the meantime, we've decided it's best to stay safe, so we wear bright clothing and talk a lot (although that does scare aware the wildlife) and even picked up some cheap blaze orange vests from Cache Advance.

I appreciate your help. Didn't know about no hunting on Sundays and yes, turkey season is coming.

In the meantime, we've decided it's best to stay safe, so we wear bright clothing and talk a lot (although that does scare aware the wildlife)

Just a note about wildlife sightings: If you act like you belong there, and walk at a normal gait, the deer, rabbits, grouse, etc. stay put. If you stalk, or walk abnormally slow and try to stay silent, the wildlife will be gone long before you ever get a chance to know that they were even there in the first place. In other words, don't act like a predator, and you will have a much better opportunity to see nature at it's best.

It does not have to be open season for people to want to go shooting.

Many a kid spends the weekend plinking.

If there is any doubt in YOUR mind as to the safety in an area...

By all means wear some orange!

Or any bright color that in not natural.

Brite blue is good, Hot Pink...

Bright blue is not a good color during Turkey Season. A Wild Turkey Gobbler head is bright blue and the head is where the hunter will aim when they shoot a wild turkey.

If in doubt as to whether you're in a hunting area or it's a hunting season, just carry a cheap ($3 around here) blaze orange stocking cap in your pack. If you don't like messin' up your hair a blaze vest can also be had for cheap. These just slip on too.

DON"T WEAR WHITE!!! That looks too much like a whitetail's flag. White is bad Joo-joo in hunting woods.

About two years ago a hiker bumbled up on my brother while he was hunting a mountain ridge in the Talladega National Forest. The guy had on a white stocking cap. My brother saw/heard the hiker way before the hiker knew little bro was around. The hiker spooked a deer on his approach. The guy was lost. Little Bro was wearing blaze ornge, to boot. Guess the hiker didn't see him because he was in semi-panic mode. He actually jumped when Little Bro asked him if he needed help. Little bro got him strainghtened out direction-wise and advised him to dump the hat.

I checked several locations, but could not find anything telling me what the season was on stupid politicians. Does this mean that it is always open season like with other predators?

I think it should be. Especially those who threaten to take away our state parks. :laughing: Let's start with them. Anyone want to introduce a new law? It shouldn't be too hard. They LOVE to pass new laws.