ETREX and Overwriting Existing Waypoint

I have a new Etrex Summit HC and a couple of older Magellans. For Geocaching, I would like to be able to park the car and enter the car position as a waypoint called "CAR" each time I start a hunt. On the Magellans I can mark a waypoint and give it the name CAR. Magellan then tells me that I already have CAR, do I want to replace it ... and I say yes. Pretty easy.

On Etrex, I set a waypoint and call it CAR, and Garmin says that CAR already exists and won't let me overwrite it. I then have to go back and give the waypoint a unique name, like "CAR1. Either that, or delete the original CAR and then enter a new CAR waypoint. Is there an easier method? I guess it's the same question as how to redefine an existing waypoint.

Thanks

I have a new Etrex Summit HC and a couple of older Magellans. For Geocaching, I would like to be able to park the car and enter the car position as a waypoint called "CAR" each time I start a hunt. On the Magellans I can mark a waypoint and give it the name CAR. Magellan then tells me that I already have CAR, do I want to replace it ... and I say yes. Pretty easy.

On Etrex, I set a waypoint and call it CAR, and Garmin says that CAR already exists and won't let me overwrite it. I then have to go back and give the waypoint a unique name, like "CAR1. Either that, or delete the original CAR and then enter a new CAR waypoint. Is there an easier method? I guess it's the same question as how to redefine an existing waypoint.

Thanks

Just make sure you have a fix, select the CAR waypoint from the waypoint list, click the menu button and choose "Reposition Here" (right down at the very bottom of the menu under "View Hunt and Fish").

Edited by AlunS

Thanks

Just make sure you have a fix, select the CAR waypoint from the waypoint list, click the menu button and choose "Reposition Here" (right down at the very bottom of the menu under "View Hunt and Fish").

Thanks. I guess I haven't spent enough time on the menu system. THAT is actually a better way than I use with Magellan because there is no typing ... just reposition this waypoint to the current position.

Now that I am on the menu I see a choice called AVERAGE. Even though I'm inside right now it seem like that function can be used to reposition a waypoint???? If so, REPOSITION is quick and easy, and AVERAGE is longer and easy. Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks. I guess I haven't spent enough time on the menu system. THAT is actually a better way than I use with Magellan because there is no typing ... just reposition this waypoint to the current position.

Now that I am on the menu I see a choice called AVERAGE. Even though I'm inside right now it seem like that function can be used to reposition a waypoint???? If so, REPOSITION is quick and easy, and AVERAGE is longer and easy. Do I understand that correctly?

That's pretty much it, yes. The extra accuracy probably wouldn't be of any advantage to you in this particular instance though unless you have a very, very small car :laughing: