colarado how long to load maps

I am trying to put my City Select 2008 Europe NT

onto my Colarado it takes about 1 hour max on the GPSmap76CSx

It has run for 24 hours ans til says 493 hours and 59 minutes

I am loading 1491mb 923 maps

Exactly the same as I had on the 76csx

Is it this much slower??????

I have even tried the same card in the adapter still same slow transfer

I have had the unit a week now and run the Mapsource map transfer none stop 24 hours a day and not yet got my CS nt2008 on the colarado

I got this reply from garmin

Dear Ivor Bigun,

Thank you for contacting Garmin(Europe)Ltd.

The maximum size currently supported is 2gb. Please ensure that this is not high speed or high capacity type card.

Kind regards

Jamie Wiltshire Garmin (Europe) Ltd

New Garmin accessory web shop now open - click here to get the most from your Garmin, or go to https://buy.garmin.com/shop

I am trying to put my City Select 2008 Europe NT

onto my Colarado it takes about 1 hour max on the GPSmap76CSx

It has run for 24 hours ans til says 493 hours and 59 minutes

What happens if you copy the .IMG over from the other card instead of regenerating it? Does that work, or do you have to regenerate with the new serial/unlock?

The maximum size currently supported is 2gb. Please ensure that this is not high speed or high capacity type card.

So, what capacity card are you using?

So you have a card that transfers slow when plugged into a card reader and the Colorado but when the card is in the 76csx the transfer is faster?

I've been using a 8GB SDHC class 6 card on my 400t without any issues. I'm loading img files that are close to 3GB without problem. The 2GB limit you got from Garmin is just wrong because the Topo2008 img file that comes on the 400t is 2.7GB and it works fine loaded on the card or internal memory.

I hardly ever have the card in the Colorado when I do the transfer because it is much faster to plug the card into a USB2.0 card reader. I've never actually watched the transfer part but it can't take any more than a half hour. I know the transfers were slower when the card was in the Colorado but they still shouldn't take as long as you are seeing.

GO$Rs

I hardly ever have the card in the Colorado when I do the transfer because it is much faster to plug the card into a USB2.0 card reader. I've never actually watched the transfer part but it can't take any more than a half hour. I know the transfers were slower when the card was in the Colorado but they still shouldn't take as long as you are seeing.

GO$Rs

So, will Mapsource let you send a map to the card using the card reader, or does it need to see the GPS. It would be nice not to tie up the GPS for hours at a time waiting for maps to compile and download.

So, will Mapsource let you send a map to the card using the card reader, or does it need to see the GPS. It would be nice not to tie up the GPS for hours at a time waiting for maps to compile and download.

Yep, it works great. Mapsource seems to see all removable drives. You don't tie up the GPS and if you get a USB 2.0 reader it'll be a much faster transfer to the card.

GO$Rs

BTW, this is the card/reader I bought. $38 bucks for both, if you're willing to do the $40 rebate. I received it next day with the cheapest shipping option as well.

Good price. I have also purchased merchandise from Adorama, and have had no complaints.

thank you I have now solved the problem

I was using the card adapter in my card reader slot on the laptop

I am using a 4gb micro SD from my 76csx in the Sandisk adapter

I also have a 8gb for my Nokia N95 on which I have garmin MobileXT

MY Sandisk 8gb came with a USB adapter that goes on a keyring on which I carry a spare 2gb card with maps NOW I am using the sandisk free USB2 plug in that came with the 8gb card

see the sandisk site its a little red thing the size of a usb plug its really tiny

How I fast transfered my maps now

1st format card insert it in Colarado and transfer just 1 tiny section of a map

then I remove card and use it in the USB Card reader Now Mapsource see the garmin folder and I can transfer my maps to that it took about 10 to 15 mins max a great improvement

I am now trying an experiment and it is still loading

I sent ALL Topo UK ALL and Europe 2008 NT and Blue Chart UK and Greece where i do most sailing

I am waiting to see if it takes it says 35 min to transfer Thats fast enough for me 1257 maps 2102 gb

I found I can turn maps off easier on Colarado than 76csx ie I can turn off ALL TOPO and All Euro to use the Blue Chart this is a must as there is no space in the Cloarado to carry spare cards

On the 76csx you have to turn off each map segment and it takes for ever BUT I could carry 2 spare M SD cards in the battery compartment so it did not matter

I have tried to find a space for even a micro card in Colarado and the best I can do is just one card sloted in between the batteries

I think any future revisions could make the battery cover 3 mm deeper to allow spare micro card storage

Edited by IvorBigun

Yep, it works great. Mapsource seems to see all removable drives. You don't tie up the GPS and if you get a USB 2.0 reader it'll be a much faster transfer to the card.

GO$Rs

Great. I'll have to try this -- I need to load NT 2008 and I only had time to do Texas the other night.

Edited by qlenfg