$125 to repair my Garmin GPSmap 60cs?

My Garmin GPSmap 60cs died this morning!

I bought it in June 2006 and have had no problems with it until now.

This morning, the screen is blank. You can still hear beeps as you press the buttons, and you can still adjust the screen brightness...but there's nothing there.

I had no problems until I turned it on this morning. I didn't drop it or anything.

I checked the Garmin site, and the flat fee for repair/replacement is $125. And then, it will only have a 90 day guarantee. Shoot, and I just got City Navigator for Christmas too.

I really hate to spend hundreds more for a new one. My 60cs met all my needs, except that I wished it had the slot for an sd card like the "X" series has. Maybe I should forget the 60 series and pick up a Legend HCx for $250 instead?

Any advice?

This morning, the screen is blank. You can still hear beeps as you press the buttons, and you can still adjust the screen brightness...but there's nothing there.

I had no problems until I turned it on this morning. I didn't drop it or anything.

I checked the Garmin site, and the flat fee for repair/replacement is $125. And then, it will only have a 90 day guarantee. Shoot, and I just got City Navigator for Christmas too.

I really hate to spend hundreds more for a new one. My 60cs met all my needs, except that I wished it had the slot for an sd card like the "X" series has. Maybe I should forget the 60 series and pick up a Legend HCx for $250 instead?

Any advice?

I have the same unit and just had it replaced because it stopped recieving sattelite data.....For $75! They gave me a discount and may do the same for you. The replacement unit works better than the older unit did. Waypoints were always off 50 feet and the geocaching feature never worked. Now these problems are gone. Almost worth repair price right there. Give Garmin a call. Good luck.

I just had a similar problem with my GPS V. After the unit was on for 5-10 minutes my screen went blank with a narrow line going across the whole width of the screen and the screen was still back lit.

I called Garmin and they said that they had had reports of some GPS units displaying the same screen symptoms. Garmin told me that since two new birds had been very recently put into orbit that these problems started to appear. Garmin advised me to turn the WAAS off and see if it helped, I turned the WAAS off and the problem was solved.

So maybe you are experiencing the same problem with your 60CS. I also have a 60CSx, but Garmin told me it wasn't affected by the WAAS signal.

I hope this solves your problem and good luck.

Any advice?

New maps will cost you that about that much unless you have an extra unlock code. If you have an extra unlock code (or have old maps) I would put the money towards a newer model. Edited by TrailGators

I'd do a hard reset before I paid to have it repaired. If that didn't work, and I liked the unit and was not wanting to replace it, I'd call Garmin to explain the problem. Occasionally, they have been known to fix them for free, even once the warranty period has ended.

If I were jonesing for a new unit, I'd use this as an excuse to buy one.

Edited by sbell111

Any excuse is a good one to upgrade to a 60CSx!

Conversely you can't buy a 60CS or equivalent for $125 so fixing it is a good deal.

If you don't choose to fix it it's of no use to you, so mail it to me, I'll pay the $125 to get it fixed and use it for a backup for when I cache with someone that doesn't have a GPS or when I teach geocaching at events.

I'd do a hard reset before I paid to have it repaired. If that didn't work, and I liked the unit and was not wanting to replace it, I'd call Garmin to explain the problem. Occasionally, they have been known to fix them for free, even once the warranty period has ended.

So how does one do a " hard reset "? I've hard of the hard reset, but don't have a clue how it's done :laughing: .

So how does one do a " hard reset "? I've hard of the hard reset, but don't have a clue how it's done :laughing: .

hereyago

Edited by sbell111

So how does one do a " hard reset "? I've hard of the hard reset, but don't have a clue how it's done :rolleyes: .

hereyago

:laughing: Thank you.

Edited by Barefoot One & Wench

Any advice?

New maps will cost you that about that much unless you have an extra unlock code. If you have an extra unlock code (or have old maps) I would put the money towards a newer model.

I thought garmin would give you a new unlock code if they replaced the unit (or otherwise made the old one useless) ??

Any advice?

New maps will cost you that about that much unless you have an extra unlock code. If you have an extra unlock code (or have old maps) I would put the money towards a newer model.

I thought garmin would give you a new unlock code if they replaced the unit (or otherwise made the old one useless) ??

They will. I guess I wasn't very clear:

Option #1: Fix 60CS for $125

Option #2: Buy Legend HCX for $190, if he has extra unlock code.

Option #3: Buy Legend HCX and new maps for $300, if he has doesn't have an unlock code.