Some dumb questions

Secco

I'm looking to buy a cheap GPS, and I can't tell from the various specs if they have certain features that I want. I have a feeling some of these are like wondering if a computer comes with a keyboard, it so obvious they don't need to say it.

1- Everyone in my family has an Apple computer. Are there brands with software and connectors for a Mac?

2- I've been using a friends Cobra 100, and it cannot get a signal in the woods (or even under a single big tree...) Is there something I can look for in the specs that means a unit works well in the woods, or do I have to find a review that mentions forest testing?

3- Any reccomendations? Since this is only for hiking and geocaching, I don't need full color street maps, just current location, a few waypaints, and maybe an arrow pointing towards the next waypoint.

Thanks for the help.

3- Any reccomendations? Since this is only for hiking and geocaching, I don't need full color street maps, just current location, a few waypaints, and maybe an arrow pointing towards the next waypoint.
I bought my first and only GPS one year ago after extensive questions like yours, some thoughts:

- Get a color unit, Much more readable than a B&W, just looks at any B&W LCD, they're not B&W at all, rather shades of grey. A color unit has true B&W plus colors, and are easily read in full sun. Suprisingly the color units have better battery life too.

- Get a mapping unit with a memory card. I have color 24K Topos in my Venture Cx and with the Position Marker showing my absolute position centered on the map, knowing where your at, especially off-trail, is easy. Rarely carry a paper topo anymore.

I don't cache, so I can't offer any advice.

Happy Hunting!!!

1- Everyone in my family has an Apple computer. Are there brands with software and connectors for a Mac?

Garmin's although it's beta software. You'll also need one with a USB port, which means a color Garmin unit.

2- I've been using a friends Cobra 100, and it cannot get a signal in the woods (or even under a single big tree...) Is there something I can look for in the specs that means a unit works well in the woods, or do I have to find a review that mentions forest testing?

I've read many threads in here warning that Cobra's are horrible units.

Garmin Venture HC will do the job nicely. High sensitive chip, USB connection, and does everything you want. If you aren't going to fork over an extra $100 for maps, you don't need anything more.

Edited by gpsblake

I'm looking to buy a cheap GPS, and I can't tell from the various specs if they have certain features that I want. I have a feeling some of these are like wondering if a computer comes with a keyboard, it so obvious they don't need to say it.

Thanks for the help.

My 2 cents...

I agree with another poster, Garmin has Apple compatability, although it is Beta right now.

Cobra units are horrible. In fact, Cobra announced a couple of months ago that they are no longer in the GPS business. They were not able to make it in the market, let alone keep up with the more mature competition on development. If you're looking for something that will definitely work in the woods, a Garmin unit that ends in Hcx, means high gain receiver, such as a Vista Hcx or Rino 530hcx. These newer units are designed for good reception in dense overhead foliage and in cities with tall buildings.

Color maps tend to be easier on the eyes for both day and night time veiwing even if you are not using street maps.

Steve

Edited by Source_GPS

I am a Mac user. My first GPSr was a Magellan 400 Explorist. The sales rep assured me it was Mac compatible. It was not. After having to rely on a friend to convert and load caches I decided to look for something compatible with my system. I have 2 Garmin units. Both are color. It makes a huge difference hiking. Both are high sensitivity too. I get satellite lock inside my house, so the woods are cake. The best part is that it is so simple to load caches. No conversion - just click "send to GPS" - my Mac works more simply than the Explorist on a PC.