GPS For Kids

I'm looking to eventually pick up a GPS for the kids to use and I've narrowed it down to the Garmin Geko 201 and the Garmin GPS 60 (yellow one).

I like the fact that they both have the games on them to help learn how to navigate using the unit, they seem durable and of course, waterproof.

Is the GPS 60 worth twice the price? I have the 60CSX, so the 60 seemed like a logical choice due to being very similar.

Currently leaning towards the Geko 201 for the following reasons:

1. Price

2. Size

3. Ease of use

What is keeping the 60 in the picture:

1. Familiarity

2. Geocaching features built in

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

cf-md.jpgcf-md.jpg

Edited by cnauman

I think the 60 is a very good unit, but it might be a little expensive compared to the Geko.

I think you get some good features for this price, however:

-More logical controls (the directionnal pad for panning the "map" or navigating in the menus, the Enter, Quit, Mark, Find and Zoom buttons which do what their name says).

-Quad-Helix antenna (reception must be better that the Geko).

-Bigger screen (which is not the most important feature, but is useful anyways).

I would recommend you consider the Geko 301 with the electronic compass. That's what I bought for my son. I've found the electronic compass to really help younger kids find what they're looking for since the arrow always points to the distination even when stopped.

I found the 301 pretty low cost on ebay.

I REALLY wish Garmin would make the eTrex HS - an "H" with an electronic compass, but at this point they don't.

If you feel you don't need the e-compass, then my recommendation would be the eTrex H or the 60. Don't underestimate the advantage of the high sensitivity receiver when in the woods.

Edited by kenk
I REALLY wish Garmin would make the eTrex HS - an "H" with an electronic compass, but at this point they don't.
They do, its called the Summit.
Good point about the antenna, and I do like the 301 - I just wish it was yellow (easier to spot if dropped).
If you attach a bright pink ribbon, problem solved.

If you decide on getting the 60 I woud say dont, get the eTrex H (same thing with much better reception)

They do, its called the Summit.

I'll second that - the Summit HC is a great unit for kids - small, compact, colour screen, high sensitivity, has the geocaching features, has the compass, and it will take maps.

(And it has the games, if that is important.)

Edited by julianh

Well, I'll be the lonely voice voting for the 201. :laughing:

I bought 4 of them for my kids (yes, I have 4 kids), and they are easy to use and very accurate. I bought them online for $49, got cases for $9.99 apiece, and got the cable for $12.95. All of them are also pretty good at entering the coords by hand (useful for multi-caches, and when I'm too lazy to download to FOUR receivers).

Got all of the kids hooked up for under $250 shipped.

Dang, I just went to the site where I ordered them for so cheap, and it looks like they are out of 'em (www.edgegps.com, no affiliation). If nothing else I can vouch for them as a satisfied customer.

FTR, I have a Geko 101 that I've used for about 5 years, and it has been bulletproof.

Thanks Gumbo!

I have 3 kids, but only one old enough at the moment (5), the other two are 18 months and 4 months, just a tad young yet but soon enough!

I'll keep my eyes open, $49 sounds just right. (I'm the type that can talk myself into higher end models quite easy.)

Thanks everyone for you input, sounds like any of them will be good choices one way or another - lots of great info here to think about for sure.