Get Ready to CITO!

hydnsek

Finally - it's spring! :o And you know what that means: CITO events in support of Earth Day (April 19-20 weekend) and other park projects. I haven't seen any CITOs posted yet, but I bet we'll have a bunch, as usual. So I thought I'd get the ball rolling by shamelessly plugging my two CITO events. Please post a link to yours here as they are published, and we'll have a handy thread reference for all of them.

Sunday, April 20

Cougar Mountain CITO

For Earth Day, King County Parks has asked us to help with trail maintenance and invasive plant removal at their largest park (which has nearly 30 caches!). This is the first CITO at Cougar Mountain, and our first CITO in partnership with King County Parks' volunteer program (to their knowledge).

Saturday, June 7

Mount Rainier CITO

For National Trails Day, we are holding our second CITO at Mount Rainier, which still needs plenty of help recovering from the devastating 2006 storms. A secondary benefit is fostering good relations with the National Park System, which now allows individual parks (such as Mt Rainier) to permit caching (or not) at their discretion. We are being offered free camping, so make a weekend of it with the family!

Edited by hydnsek

Another CITO added!

Saturday, April 19

Cache-N-Carry CITO Indianola Park

Exercise those Earth Day muscles - haul away some old appliances and trash from the unofficial dump in this Kitsap County park, so the old-growth forest can breathe free again.

Sunday, April 20

Cougar Mountain CITO

For Earth Day, King County Parks has asked us to help with trail maintenance and invasive plant removal at their largest park (which has nearly 30 caches!). This is the first CITO at Cougar Mountain, and our first CITO in partnership with King County Parks' volunteer program.

Saturday, June 7

Mount Rainier CITO

For National Trails Day, we are holding our second CITO at Mount Rainier, which still needs plenty of help recovering from the devastating 2006 storms. A secondary benefit is fostering good relations with the National Park System, which now allows individual parks (such as Mt Rainier) to permit caching (or not) at their discretion. We are being offered free camping, so make a weekend of it with the family!

Edited by hydnsek

Earth Day CITO update:

Saturday, April 19

Washington: Help haul away old appliances and trash in this Kitsap County park, so the old-growth forest can breathe free again.

Clackamas Geocaching Association's CITO Event

Oregon: calling all cachers in Clackamas and Portland!

Another Earth Day in Wallace

Oregon: calling all cachers in Salem!

TVCA 2008 CITO - Initial Point

Idaho: calling all cachers in Boise!

2008 Kincaid Park CITO Event

Alaska: calling all cachers in Anchorage!

Sunday, April 20

Cougar Mountain CITO

Washington: For Earth Day, King County Parks has asked us to help with trail maintenance and invasive plant removal at their largest park (which has nearly 30 caches!). This is the first CITO at Cougar Mountain, and our first CITO in partnership with King County Parks' volunteer program.

2008 Spring Kincaid Park CITO – Southside

Alaska: calling all cachers in Anchorage!

Saturday, June 7

Mount Rainier CITO

Washington: For National Trails Day, we are holding our second CITO at Mount Rainier, which still needs plenty of help recovering from the devastating 2006 storms. A secondary benefit is fostering good relations with the National Park System, which now allows individual parks (such as Mt Rainier) to permit caching (or not) at their discretion. We are being offered free camping, so make a weekend of it with the family!

Edited by hydnsek

For those of you who have been waiting for an announcement of a WSGA sponsored CITO event at Discovery Park in Seattle you may want to check out the WSGA forums for an update. (scroll to the bottom)

I encourage everyone to review the list above and attend one of those events. We may even try to hit two.

Sorry to hear that the Discovery Park CITO is a no-go. (At least, that's how I interpreted the WSGA site writeup, haven't seen anything here).

I've been wondering at the paucity of CITO events this year. With only two weeks to go, there are only two posted for the Puget Sound area (indeed, in Washington) - one in King Cty (mine), one in Kitsap Cty. What's happened to the Earth Day CITO fervor? In past years, there have been a half dozen or so - last year, I had to make tough decisions about which of many interesting ones to attend.

Oh well, at least I don't have competition for volunteers - OK, you King County cachers, c'mon over to Cougar on April 20 and CITO! :laughing: I attended a KCP volunteer meeting tonight, and met the director - he was supportive of geocaching and pleased to hear that we were "giving back" with a work party at Cougar.

CITO update - Spokane event added.

Saturday, April 19

Washington (Kitsap Cty): Help haul away old appliances and trash in Indianola Park.

WSGA Inland Empire CITO V

Washington (Spokane): help clean up Minnehaha Park.

Clackamas Geocaching Association's CITO Event

Oregon: calling all cachers in Clackamas and Portland!

Another Earth Day in Wallace

Oregon: calling all Salem cachers!

TVCA 2008 CITO - Initial Point

Idaho: calling all Boise cachers!

2008 Kincaid Park CITO Event

Alaska: calling all Anchorage cachers!

Sunday, April 20

Cougar Mountain CITO

Washington (Puget Sound): For Earth Day, King County Parks has asked us to help with trail maintenance and invasive plant removal at their largest park (which has nearly 30 caches!). This is the first CITO at Cougar Mountain, and our first CITO in partnership with King County Parks' volunteer program.

2008 Spring Kincaid Park CITO – Southside

Alaska: calling all Anchorage cachers (again)!

Saturday, June 7

Mount Rainier CITO

Washington: For National Trails Day, we are holding our second CITO at Mount Rainier, which still needs plenty of help recovering from the devastating 2006 storms. A secondary benefit is fostering good relations with the National Park System, which now allows individual parks (such as Mt Rainier) to permit caching (or not) at their discretion. We are being offered free camping, so make a weekend of it with the family!

Edited by hydnsek

*bump*

Earth Day weekend and our CITOs in support of our parks are only a week away. We have fewer events this year, and the organizers of each event would love to see you there! ;) It's a great way to 'give back' to the parks and community, and thank them for supporting geocaching.

Pls respond on the appropriate cache page if you plan to attend, so we can get head counts for the parks folks.

In Washington state, we have CITOs in the King County, Kitsap County, and Spokane areas. Hope to see you at one of them! (I'll be at Cougar Mtn in King Cty.)

Only a couple days away so I thought I'd bump this. :)

I'm shocked that I haven't already done much (or any) caching in the Cougar Mountain area so I'm glad the CITO event will be taking me there. :D

I'll likely be going for a hike after the trail clean up in the area - any "must do" caches nearby?

:)

I'll likely be going for a hike after the trail clean up in the area - any "must do" caches nearby?

:grin:

Do Turntable!

Most of the caches on Cougar are very nice ones. Other caches I've enjoyed have been The Old Ballfield, Gnat Fest II, Is That a Treehouse?, and Wilderness Peak. If you're into Waymarking, most of the mine entrances and ventilation shafts are listed, as is the summit register at Wilderness Peak.

Do Turntable!

Most of the caches on Cougar are very nice ones. Other caches I've enjoyed have been The Old Ballfield, Gnat Fest II, Is That a Treehouse?, and Wilderness Peak. If you're into Waymarking, most of the mine entrances and ventilation shafts are listed, as is the summit register at Wilderness Peak.

I would also add to PP's excellent list, Red Town Site.

Do Turntable!

The CITO was cancelled due to 5 1/2 inches of snow in the work area.

Do Turntable!

This is becoming insane!

This is becoming insane!

Tell me about it (says the disappointed owner of the Cougar Mtn CITO). :grin:

Congratulations to the Inland Empire - Spokane hosted the only successful Washington CITO for Earth Day weekend! (Their event photos show sun and blue skies!)

This is becoming insane!

Tell me about it (says the disappointed owner of the Cougar Mtn CITO). :grin:

Congratulations to the Inland Empire - Spokane hosted the only successful Washington CITO for Earth Day weekend! (Their event photos show sun and blue skies!)

Could you reschedule it after I'm freed from Ellensburg? Heheh, I might get paid for being at a CITO, if I end up working at Cougar! :laughing:

Sorry to hear about all the weather cancellations, but OregonSAGA has a wonderfully successful event in Salem! Despite some light snow (that didn't stick), small hail, and generally cold and wet conditions, our twenty or so cachers and non-cachers bagged and piled enough trash to fill a 28' construction dumpster!

We're working closely with the City of Salem and local businesses, building a partnership I'm really excited about, to address some longstanding transient issues, reclaiming a terrific park for everyone in Salem to enjoy!

Edited by Spencersb

Thanks again to the 30 hardy cachers who showed up for the canceled SnoCITO event at Cougar Mtn last weekend.

I'm working with the Cougar staff on a new event date, so we can keep the mojo going for a rescheduled work party. Unfortunately, if we want to hold the Cougar CITO this spring (before July), the only date that works for both sides is Saturday, May 24. (Note the Saturday this time, to catch the folks who can't do Sundays.)

I realize this is the date of GeoWoodstock VI in California, which some folks are attending. It's also the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. But it's our only choice, it seems, unless I punt the Cougar CITO until end-of-summer.

So, a straw poll:

- Could you attend a rescheduled CITO on May 24 at Cougar Mtn?

- Should I just punt the Cougar work project until fall? (late August or September)

Edited by hydnsek

I was about to walk out the door on Sunday when I got the cancellation notification so I stayed home. Now I'm kind of sorry I missed the fun.

I have other plans on May 24th. It's just about the only day I do unfortunately. If you do have it that day, have fun!

May 24th would probably work for us, but so would the later date, although it is a little far out to know what work has in store for me. Maybe they have enough work for both dates.

Oh, we could definitely do work projects on May 24 and again in the fall. I just want to determine whether it's worth rescheduling an event for this spring, since May 24 is about the only viable date.

Thanks again to the 30 hardy cachers who showed up for the canceled SnoCITO event at Cougar Mtn last weekend.

I'm working with the Cougar staff on a new event date, so we can keep the mojo going for a rescheduled work party. Unfortunately, if we want to hold the Cougar CITO this spring (before July), the only date that works for both sides is Saturday, May 24. (Note the Saturday this time, to catch the folks who can't do Sundays.)

I realize this is the date of GeoWoodstock VI in California, which some folks are attending. It's also the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. But it's our only choice, it seems, unless I punt the Cougar CITO until end-of-summer.

So, a straw poll:

- Should I just punt the Cougar work project until fall? (late August or September)

I'd vote for the later summer/early fall CITO. We'll be attending GeoWoodstock, and I'm sure a lot of people probably have plans for Memorial weekend.

OK, I'll throw another option into the pot for the Cougar CITO date. Sat May 31 or Sat June 14 might be options BUT they are the weekends before and after the Mount Rainier CITO. Besides the fact that I am organizing both events, I don't want to cannibalize the Mount Rainier event, which has been scheduled for some time and needs a good turnout.

I suspect most folks wouldn't want to participate in back-to-back CITOs, but I'm throwing it out there in case y'all want to prove me wrong. I'm willing to host CITOs on consecutive weekends if attendance at one/both doesn't suffer as a result of the scheduling.

Thoughts?

Again, I will schedule another event in the fall with KCP, whether at Cougar or elsewhere. But based on the responses in the Cougar SnoCITO event, I'd love to get something rescheduled this spring, seems to be momentum for it.

Thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm and input! ;)

June 14th is a day that I have a proposed photo expedition to Cougar with friends from the Popphoto forums, along with June 28th. Funny how you keep proposing dates that I have things scheduled on Cougar! May 31st is the last weekend of the quarter, before finals, which means I need to be here.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat".

The Father of our Parks, Theodore Roosevelt

I vote for May 24th.

So, a straw poll:

I will be at GeoWoodstock VI that weekend and at the Mount Rainier CITO later, so later in the summer would work for me. Edited by WellJointed

Just schedule the day and I'll show up

The rescheduled Cougar Mountain CITO will be Saturday, May 31 (after the holiday weekend). Same time and location; I'll have the new event page posted in a few days.

Since this is the week before my Mount Rainier CITO, I'm gambling that participation won't suffer for either event by them being so close together. The challenge was finding a new date that would work with both the KCP and geocaching calendars. :)

I hope some of you will choose to attend both CITOs, since they offer quite different experiences. Cougar is a short local event, while you can make a full day or weekend at Rainier (should be quite lovely then, and free entrance and camping for participants).

Edited by hydnsek

The rescheduled Cougar Mountain CITO v2 is posted for May 31. Hope to see everyone there! It's on a Saturday this time.

And (again) don't forget the Mount Rainier CITO, which is one week later, on June 7. Both parks need our support!

And yes, this means I'm hosting back-to-back CITOs on consecutive weekends. Hopefully, this will improve my caching karma for the year. :)

Edited by hydnsek

Bump! :anibad:

The next two weekends feature three CITOs in Washington - a great opportunity to give back to our parks. Here's the latest on them:

Saturday, May 31

Cougar Mountain CITO v2

Cougar Mountain is King County's largest park, and we will be clearing/grubbing out blackberries from the trails/lawn at Red Town trailhead (next to parking) and restoring the area with native plants. Since this the first place that most visitors to Cougar Mtn see, this will be a highly visible project (yay for us), and a great give-back to King County Parks, which has been very supportive of geocaching.

Cougar Mountain has 36 miles of hiking trails, and nearly 40 geocaches, so save some time for caching in the park afterward (CITO is 10 am - 2 pm). Here's a bookmark list of the caches: Caching Cougar Mountain.

Saturday, June 7 (National Trails Day)

Mount Rainier CITO

Mount Rainier still needs plenty of help recovering from two years of devastating winter storms, and for National Trails Day, we are their marquee volunteer group (another yay for us). We're basing out of Longmire, and will be doing trail restoration and maintenance. Snow levels are still high, but we should have free camping before and after the event, and a cookout afterward with a geo-goodies raffle.

Calling all Kitsap cachers: Help haul away old appliances and trash in Indianola Park.

Edited by hydnsek

Bump! :anibad:

The next two weekends feature three CITOs in Washington - a great opportunity to give back to our parks. Here's the latest on them:

Saturday, May 31

Cougar Mountain CITO v2

Cougar Mountain is King County's largest park, and we will be clearing/grubbing out blackberries from the trails/lawn at Red Town trailhead (next to parking) and restoring the area with native plants. Since this the first place that most visitors to Cougar Mtn see, this will be a highly visible project (yay for us), and a great give-back to King County Parks, which has been very supportive of geocaching.

Cougar Mountain has 36 miles of hiking trails, and nearly 40 geocaches, so save some time for caching in the park afterward (CITO is 10 am - 2 pm). Here's a bookmark list of the caches: Caching Cougar Mountain.

Too bad I can't be there! What's the project over at Coal Creek Falls?

Just remember to post a note this time if it isn't obvious to people who may or may not be able to squeeze in a few hours of help at the end.

Gotcha, but probably no need. As indicated, we're going to be working right next to the parking / meeting area. Highly visible. :unsure: