Pathtags - Anyone in UK found any?

We found our first 'pathtags' in a cache recently, and at first thought they were small geocoins. We had to sign up to the pathtags Webpage, to find that they are a trackable 'coin' that is fairly cheap but there is no onus to do anything in particular with them; trade it, move it, keep it, place in a cache, chuck it in the bin if you wish, seems to be the philosophy.

I did actually place them in another cache, but being someone who has just had a geocoin 'stolen' from it's first true cache placing, these things got me thinking.

As something that can be found in a cache, does it encourage finders to treat real geocoins in the same manner, i.e. don't bother moving it, recording it or anything else.

Have pathtags made an inroad into UK yet and what do people think? :o

I realize that this is a general question, but I'd rather have a UK discussion and viewpoint on it than on the main forum.

TBH I'm not bothered with them - I leave them there. Its enough moving geocoins and TBs on, thinking you're doing the owner a favour moving them out of the cache that they have been trapped in for 5 months. And you still get snotty e-mails from the respective TB / Geocoin owner "Its been 2 weeks and 2 days, you haven't moved it on yet."

Hello!!!??? Who is doing who a favour here? :o People haven't moved mine round, some have stayed with people for months despite e-mails :D and I'm just cheesed off with them. They are a liability. I've always been against 'discovering' TBs and coins but I'm quickly starting to think that's a better to do it. :D

Rant over, I feel better now! :(

We found our first 'pathtags' in a cache recently, and at first thought they were small geocoins. We had to sign up to the pathtags Webpage, to find that they are a trackable 'coin' that is fairly cheap but there is no onus to do anything in particular with them; trade it, move it, keep it, place in a cache, chuck it in the bin if you wish, seems to be the philosophy.

Have pathtags made an inroad into UK yet and what do people think?

I found one and, like you, thought it was a micro-sized geocoin so took it. I visited the web site but didn't have to sign on to find out what they were. I declined to sign on and just moved it to another cache without logging it on the pathtags site, though I did mention it in the cache logs.

I think the selling point is that you can quite easily design your own, and it's not unduly expensive to buy (from memory) 50 personalised ones. But because they are not loggable on the geocaching.com website I won't pick up any I see in the future.

Rgds, Andy

I think I logged something similar last year on the website.I think they are an acceptable "mate" to G/Coins as they come cheap,so individuals can indeed use them as sig items.But of course they won't get moved or logged as often as G/Coins.It's a big GC world out there and we don't want monopolies on our hobby do we! :o

We found two in the Lake District, and like several others we didn't know what they were and thought they were mini-geocoins so we took them home. When we looked at the website we realised what to do, so we decided to put one in another cache and keep one. They make nice supermarket trolley tokens!

We found two in the Lake District, and like several others we didn't know what they were and thought they were mini-geocoins so we took them home. When we looked at the website we realised what to do, so we decided to put one in another cache and keep one. They make nice supermarket trolley tokens!

I guess they are 'non-trackable' geocoins, but then they are meant to be collected, not moved on - i.e. yes, they are sig items. I have a Podcacher one :laughing:

Yes, I'd agree they are trackable sig items. People use them to express something of their own personality or caching and they are much cheaper than coins. I have found a few in caches.

Last year there was a good promotional price for listeners of the podcacher podcast.

I've had some made and sometimes leave them in caches, swap them for other tags and give them as gifts to other cachers.

Here's a picture of mine.

492a4802-32ad-45e0-b511-d5e6b7c81445.jpg