MIO P550 problems

At the risk of public humiliation Im in need of help with my new MIO P550.

Im having a nightmare getting it to synchronise and I wondered if there was anybody else out there that had similar problems or who was an expert on this device and could help me.

I have Activesync 4.5 running on my XP PC, and I do not get any errors after the sync has run, but nothing has synchronised.

I really wanted to try it out this weekend with a Wherigo cache :D

Mark

At the risk of public humiliation Im in need of help with my new MIO P550.

Im having a nightmare getting it to synchronise and I wondered if there was anybody else out there that had similar problems or who was an expert on this device and could help me.

I have Activesync 4.5 running on my XP PC, and I do not get any errors after the sync has run, but nothing has synchronised.

I really wanted to try it out this weekend with a Wherigo cache :D

Mark

I recently purchased a P560 and had to reboot the PC before Activesynch would work.

Thanks, Ive reinstalled and rebooted the pc.

I dont get any error messages, it simply does not synchronise the files I put in the special folder it set up during the initial partnership set up between Activesync and the device.

If I manually try to swap over the files I get the following error whilst conversion is taking place"The system cannot find the file specified"

:D

I use an Ipaq, not a MIO, so don't even know if this is relevant - but I don't use activesync for anything other than connecting the pda to my pc.

Maps and waypoints I send straight from Memory Map, and I stick the sd card in a separate reader to drag GPX and other files across. I've never had any probs with files not being "converted" to whatever format the pda needs........which is what seems to slow down activesync.

The folder that activesync installed on the pc gets synced to my pda's My Docs folder in it's main memory, whereas I'd rather put stuff on the card anyway, so I don't use it for anything other than syncing emails ...

I have a Mio 550 and have had it for about a year now and it all works fine, I also have a 2gb card with Memory Map on and another 2gb card with Tom Tom 6 on. Cachemate and other software are on the actual PDA memory. Active Sync amends all programmes accordingly, then I go to the relevant program, ie; Cachemate and upload by hitting the little icon at the bottom of the Mio screen. I was also informed that the Mio could not use a 4gb card and that a 2gb was its maximum, so interested to see if your 4gb works. I have to place everything into the Mio file in My Documents prior to using Active Sync, WM_ something or other it's called, but presumably this is obvious and I'm not wishing to teach Grandmother to suck eggs even though it soon will be Easter. Good luck. :o:D

PS: look forward to seeing you on the TV !! with Team SP and the Valiant Knight....

On my Mio P550 I don't synch anything (I don't use it as a PDA). Instead to get the waypoints into Memory Map I just 'send data to PDA' from Memory Map. Similarly to get the actual MM maps onto the SD card I use an separate SD card reader. It is SO much faster than using Microsofts Inactive Out of Synch program..... As to getting the HTML files from GSAK (so I can open the cache pages locally on the Mio with IE) again I create the folder with GSAK then just copy it across using Windows explorer.

Chris

I was also informed that the Mio could not use a 4gb card and that a 2gb was its maximum, so interested to see if your 4gb works. I have to place everything into the Mio file in My Documents prior to using Active Sync, WM_ something or other it's called, but presumably this is obvious and I'm not wishing to teach Grandmother to suck eggs even though it soon will be Easter. Good luck. :rolleyes::laughing:

I read on another forum that the Sandisk Ultra II 4GB card works - will let you know.

You might try disabling your firewall. However by disabling the firewall it works every time

Worth a try

Hmm, forgot I have the standard windows firewall, I'll give it a go. Thank you

Thanks everybody for your help. determinteed to get to the bottom of this or the device goes back and Wherigo will have to wait.

Mark

I was also informed that the Mio could not use a 4gb card and that a 2gb was its maximum, so interested to see if your 4gb works. I have to place everything into the Mio file in My Documents prior to using Active Sync, WM_ something or other it's called, but presumably this is obvious and I'm not wishing to teach Grandmother to suck eggs even though it soon will be Easter. Good luck. :rolleyes::laughing:

I read on another forum that the Sandisk Ultra II 4GB card works - will let you know.

You might try disabling your firewall. However by disabling the firewall it works every time

Worth a try

Hmm, forgot I have the standard windows firewall, I'll give it a go. Thank you

Thanks everybody for your help. determinteed to get to the bottom of this or the device goes back and Wherigo will have to wait.

Mark

If your PC is running Windows Firewall, or any other 3rd party software fire wall products you need to configure the product to allow these programs through on the specified ports

ActiveSync 4.x requires the following Winsock Transmission Control Protocols (TCP) to be available:

• 990 (RAPI)
  • 999 (Status)
  • 5721 (DTPT)
  • 5678 (Legacy Replication)
  • 5679 (Handshake & Legacy Replication)
  • 26675 (Airsync)

If socket port filtering occurs on any of these Winsock ports, ActiveSync does not synchronize with Microsoft Windows mobile devices.

More info here.

I usually use file explorer to transfer files between pc and mio, i recently had probs whilst trying to set up Wherigo as i had the wring version on .NET Framework, I assumed i had to uninstall and reinstall on my mio and couldn't get it to work but I actually had to uninstal it from my pc then reinstal the newer version, when i next pluged my mio in it automaticaly updated it.

If your PC is running Windows Firewall, or any other 3rd party software fire wall products you need to configure the product to allow these programs through on the specified ports

ActiveSync 4.x requires the following Winsock Transmission Control Protocols (TCP) to be available:
  • 990 (RAPI)
  • 999 (Status)
  • 5721 (DTPT)
  • 5678 (Legacy Replication)
  • 5679 (Handshake & Legacy Replication)
  • 26675 (Airsync)

If socket port filtering occurs on any of these Winsock ports, ActiveSync does not synchronize with Microsoft Windows mobile devices.

More info here.

Thanks I will try this.

I usually use file explorer to transfer files between pc and mio, i recently had probs whilst trying to set up Wherigo as i had the wring version on .NET Framework, I assumed i had to uninstall and reinstall on my mio and couldn't get it to work but I actually had to uninstal it from my pc then reinstal the newer version, when i next pluged my mio in it automaticaly updated it.

Thanks,

I know the version of .net needs to be replaced on the device, because the Wherigo player (which I bluetoothed across to it) tell me so but activesync between my desktop and device does not appear to be syncing (although it shows a successful completion of sync and no errors) so cant get the new version across to the device. All very frustrating.

Will have another fiddle this morning.

Mark

I've been watching this thread with great interest because I was thinking of purchasing the MIO 550.

We've been having problems getting the Wherigo player to work on our Medion 150 :D so we thought it was time for an upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out for you ChaoticaUK We're holding off buying anything now until a few more problems are solved. Hope you get it sorted so we can learn from you :(

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought my Mio P550.

I had an old HP IPAC, which gave up the ghost before Christmas and have just replaced it with a Mio P550. Although I am sure I can get around many of the issues identified in these threads I do want to use the Mio as a PDA and synchronise with Outlook (outlook 2002) on my PC. This was simple with the IPAC and worked every time but with the Mio, as you have said, it synchronises but the Claendar and Contacts on the PDA are blank.

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought my Mio P550.

I had an old HP IPAC, which gave up the ghost before Christmas and have just replaced it with a Mio P550. Although I am sure I can get around many of the issues identified in these threads I do want to use the Mio as a PDA and synchronise with Outlook (outlook 2002) on my PC. This was simple with the IPAC and worked every time but with the Mio, as you have said, it synchronises but the Claendar and Contacts on the PDA are blank.

So sounds like you are having similar issues to me? Ive spoken to MIo tech support by email and Ive not had a response yet. Im also trying to use activesync by bluetooth and if I can establish a connection then that would be fine for the future. I'll let you know how this goes...

Success, well sort of, managed to get the .net compact framework CAB file to the PDA via bluetooth ftp. Wherigo player now works. Just sorting out why the GPS bit is not working.

Activesync still does not work, drag and drop still does not work.

I can't believe this is a recommended PDA. What are all the rest like?

I'll update on the GPS error bit later on today or tomorrow.

Thanks to everybody on this thread that provided 'helpful' comments, and to Ranger Fox on the main Wherigo forum.

Hmm... when you say active sync won't work.... does the PC recognise the Mio as a USB device (Mio Digiwalker)? Does active sync fire up when you connect it? Did you install active sync separately and then connect the Mio or off the Mio CD? When I had initial probs I didn't use the CD. But when I did and followed the prompts it all worked fine. I then updated the version of active sync as the Mio CD was a bit out of date.

I set the sync options to sync nothing because I don't use it as a PDA. But I still get the option to Explore the device and can get files copied/moved between them.

Re GPS - it is an NMEA device and defaults to com2. You need to set any programs (like memory map) to look at that port.

Chris

Very odd. I have a p550 which syncs fine (not what uou want to hear, I know! :laughing: ) For comparison, my set up is

Windows XP

Activesyc Build 4.1.0

My windows firewall is enabled and AVG Antivirus is up to date

I seem to remember that I downloaded a newer version of Activesync once, and had problems with it - which version are you using?

Trying to think what else could be a problem... hmmm

Dave

Hmm... when you say active sync won't work.... does the PC recognise the Mio as a USB device (Mio Digiwalker)? Does active sync fire up when you connect it? Did you install active sync separately and then connect the Mio or off the Mio CD? When I had initial probs I didn't use the CD. But when I did and followed the prompts it all worked fine. I then updated the version of active sync as the Mio CD was a bit out of date.

I set the sync options to sync nothing because I don't use it as a PDA. But I still get the option to Explore the device and can get files copied/moved between them.

Re GPS - it is an NMEA device and defaults to com2. You need to set any programs (like memory map) to look at that port.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Activesync does connect desktop to PDA and recognise it. I had ticked just the files option (not interested at the moment of using it for outlook etc) so I could use activesync to automatically send files over to the PDA. When you tick the files box it sets up a copy of the PDA's 'my documents' folder structure on the desktop for you to drop stuff into. This bit is not working when I get the Desktop and PDA to sync, the files Ive dropped in do not copy from desktop to PDA.

Also when you access the PDAs files via Activesync (explore option) and copy and paste a document Windows goes through a conversion process and then says its failed. "The system cannot find the file specified". No idea why.

Add or remove programs via the Tools option on Activesync will remove programs but will not add them, error "cannot copy the file" make sure your device is connected (and it is!)

The fact that I can FTP files via bluetooth actually makes this PDA now work, and to be honest not connecting via a cable just leaves me a free USB so its not too bad.

Thanks for the advice on the GPS, it was set to automaticaly detect and I switched it to specifically look at port 2, the GPS test was successful so I will do a field test tomorrow.

Bit of a mixed bag really but at least it all works.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Edited by Chaotica_UK

I seem to remember that I downloaded a newer version of Activesync once, and had problems with it - which version are you using?

Dave

Hi Dave,

My set up is the same as yours. I tried Activesync 4.5 and then switched back to 4.1 thinking it might help as it was the one that came on the disk. Didnt seem to make any difference, but at least bluetooth works and can get me going for now. I can tackle the other issues in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Glad you're up and running. I've never used the drag and drop option but the explore and convert is fine. Something screwy there! For large files I use a separate card reader and transfer them with windows. If you are over our this Weekend would be happy to try and help. Have also got the 'workaround' to stop active sync running everytime you switch it on.

Chris

Sent from my Mio using wireless whilst sitting in bed drinking tea.

Another thought... when you get the failure and error message have a look at the Windows event viewer in case there is anything in there that may give a clue. Forgive me if you already know how to do this.... Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Select Event Viewer - Application logs then the System logs. You may have an anti-virus log too. There may be nothing obvious but it's worth checking.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

Its worth persevering, I was about to get shut of ours a couple of months ago but with much help from purple-pineapple on the icons, GSAK and cachemate front it now works perfectly, I wouldn't be without it.

Active sync and the .net thingy for Wherigo worked fine (we did our first Wherigo about 3 weeks ago). I did make sure I got the latest versions of both of these.

We have a 2gb card with the bits of Memory Map we need, cachemate and pocket nav OS 5 is in the machine memory. We also got a hard case to protect it from knocks, if its raining we put the whole lot in a zip-loc bag.

I use a date cable, haven't tried wirelessly yet.

Another useful contact is Moote, he seems to play about with this stuff.

Good luck, keep trying, it's well worth it!

Henry

I haven't read the entire thread and just saw firewall and activesync so apologies if ......

I had trouble syncing my htc touch at first due to firewall problems. To get it working I had to add all these processes to the whitelist.

rapimgr.exe

wcescomm.exe

wcesmgr.exe

ceappmgr.exe

On first connection, the firewall only prompted me to allow one process for some reason, can't remember which. (F-Secure IS 2008)

edit,

Are you sure you've created a partnership and not just using guest?

Edited by moche

Thanks Moche,

I'll have another look at the firewall over the weekend.

I am creating partnerships rather than guest.

On a good note I actually got the Wherigo player working and completed the tutorial earlier this week. Now off to do a real Wherigo.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

i have bought a mio p360 with 4 gb sd card witch works great have had probs with tomtom but miomaps works fine i just drag and drop strieght onto my sd card all works fine for me took some susing out though i use gsak and MM and make a loc file for all cache info hope this helps

THanks Brat Pack, I raised a thread there also but nobody replied. I also raised a Technical question with the manufacturers about 2 weeks ago and Ive not had a reply yet either.

As Im not planning to use mine as an email, contacts sync device and just use it as a sat nav, Wherigo cachemate device I can send files by bluetooth which overcomes this 'glitch' with activesync.

Cheers

Mark