Garmin mapsource GB, some questions...

OK, come pay day I'll be buying a Garmin Vista HCX

I'm interested in the mapsource GB maps for it, but have a couple of Q's

How big is all the UK, when put on an SD card in the Vista?

I read on Amazon reviews that there are no PROWs, does this mean I'll still need an OS map to find the footpaths, or are they all in there?

I use a tomtom to drive to and from caches in the UK, so if its just roads on the maps, I don't see the point in buying extra software to have just another sat-nav for the car, can anyone enlighten me?

If there are no footpaths on the maps, can anyone advise of other mapping or other GPSr's that do offer this facility?

This has been covered many times before, and very recently too, so try a search. :D

A couple of pointers:

You need to identify which Mapsource maps you are concerned with. I assume you mean Topo UK.

The whole of the UK will fit on a 2GB card.

I didn't understand the "in the Vista" bit.

Other Garmin maps (designed for Sat Nav), such as City Navigator won't have PRoW's.

Edited by SidAndBob

I read on Amazon reviews that there are no PROWs, does this mean I'll still need an OS map to find the footpaths, or are they all in there?

I use a tomtom to drive to and from caches in the UK, so if its just roads on the maps, I don't see the point in buying extra software to have just another sat-nav for the car, can anyone enlighten me?

If there are no footpaths on the maps, can anyone advise of other mapping or other GPSr's that do offer this facility?

All SidAndBob said is correct. GB Topo takes 1.5Gb for the whole lot. They do have footpaths but not ALL footpaths. Rights of way are not differentiated from other footpaths.

They are a lot better than nothing at all but not as good as I think they should be. A PDA with MemoryMap or similar will give far better mapping, but the Garmin may be better in some other respects.

If the built in GPS on my phone/PDA didn't have a permanently enabled static navigation filter I would use that in preference to the Garmin, but the static navigation filter is such a nuisance for geo-caching that I now normally use the Garmin and only turn the phone/PDA on occasionally if I really need better maps for a while.

Although the Garmin does route calculation with Topo maps, it doesn't come near TomTom for road navigation.

Rgds, Andy

OK, come pay day I'll be buying a Garmin Vista HCX

As others have stated DON'T buy Mapsource it only shows roads and has some roads MISSING!!

Even worse, it even shows some bridleways as roads!!!!!

Roads & Recreation when loaded is 37.8 MB all 300 Maps, whole UK

Metroguide when loaded is 115.3 MB all 312 Maps, whole UK

I will soon have Memory Map so will be able to compare all three MM, Fugawi and Mapsource.

Regards

Nick

A long ramble on how to squeeze the most out of expensive Garmin software updates...

I've been a long-time user of Garmin kit. Currently, we have 3x Streetpilot C510 (one to be sold off soon, no traffic capability) and a Vista Cx.

The last software issued was City Navigator NT Europe V9, it came with two "unlocks" available which I originally used to place mapping data into our first C510T and the Vista.

When Topo 2 came along (with a single unit unlock), I used that with the Vista and planned, at the next CN update, to use that to load data into two C510, so picked up the second C510 unit via eBay. End result was planned to be two cars with full Europe auto-routing and and ditto for the Vista with CN9 (it will do) and Topo UK for cache driving and off-road.

All going well at this point, I obtained a free CN Europe 2008 update when I registered the second-hand C510. When I installed this, I was dead pleased to find that it would provide me with the whole of Europe instead of just UK & Ireland. I was dead unimpressed when I found that the disc would only upgrade one unit! I used that update with my primary unit.

...so when I spotted some C510T (UK & Ireland) units being flogged off on eBuyer for £130, I decided to have a punt that these would get a free update too. A straight purchase of the upgrade was £60 from Garmin. Additionally, this unit, with the "T" suffix, includes the Traffic receiver/charger module that costs £50 as a separate purchase. For the £130 outlay, I could get £110 worth of upgrades and be left with a C510 (UK and Ireland - non-traffic enabled) surplus to requirements.

When I registered the new C510T, I was indeed entitled to a free update which is now on its way.

...so, if you have the need, knowledge and the patience, you can get the most out of Garmin's convoluted software upgrade/hardware package policies.

Hope this is useful to someone out there... I will be posting this info as a separate thread.

Although the Garmin does route calculation with Topo maps, it doesn't come near TomTom for road navigation.

You can say that again! The Topo map navigation seems to be on a different planet. If you follow that, you will drive miles out of your way. Always use "Off road" navigation instead.

I have just the SW England Topo map on my 60CSx SD card and I find it perfectly adequate for cache finding, even though all the footpaths are not displayed, it becomes pretty obvious which way you need to go. I'm glad I've got it.