Colorado 300 & Garmin Heart Rate Monitor

I have a Colorado 300. I recently purchased a Garmin heart rate monitor and have used it with the Colorado. It seems to work fine; I can see the beats per minute (bpm) displayed on the map screen.

I want to export the heart rate data to the "current.gpx" file that is generated by the Colorado. This way I can view the heart rate data in ASCENT a Macintosh replacement for Garmin's Training Center.

I can't figure out how to include the heart rate data within the "current.gpx" data file.

Any suggestions?

I have a Colorado 300. I recently purchased a Garmin heart rate monitor and have used it with the Colorado. It seems to work fine; I can see the beats per minute (bpm) displayed on the map screen.

I want to export the heart rate data to the "current.gpx" file that is generated by the Colorado. This way I can view the heart rate data in ASCENT a Macintosh replacement for Garmin's Training Center.

I can't figure out how to include the heart rate data within the "current.gpx" data file.

Any suggestions?

Isn't it part of your current tracklog data by default? I haven't seen this myself but I thought the sensor data would be included as a data field in each trackpoint.

GO$Rs

Any suggestions?

Isn't it part of your current tracklog data by default? I haven't seen this myself but I thought the sensor data would be included as a data field in each trackpoint.

GO$Rs

That's what I thought, but that is not the case. The heart rate data is not included within the "current.gpx" file. I communicated with the developer of Ascent, and sent him a "current.gpx" file. He said that it doesn't include heart rate data. He also said that a user of Ascent who has a Colorado, sent him a "current.gpx" file that does include the heart rate data. Strange.

Any suggestions?

GO$Rs

That's what I thought, but that is not the case. The heart rate data is not included within the "current.gpx" file. I communicated with the developer of Ascent, and sent him a "current.gpx" file. He said that it doesn't include heart rate data. He also said that a user of Ascent who has a Colorado, sent him a "current.gpx" file that does include the heart rate data. Strange.

It shows up in the tracklog of my 400t: (Showing heartrate of 111 with air temp of 30.1)

<extensions><gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension><gpxtpx:atemp>30.1</gpxtpx:atemp><gpxtpx:hr>111</gpxtpx:hr></gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension></extensions>

It's a good question, It's interesting that if you bring the track into mapsource then save it as a .gpx the HR and Cadence data are lost. This messed with me for awhile because I could not figure out where my HR and Cadence data was from my tracks that I brought into mapsource and saved as .gpx files.

If you take the .gpx from the colorado itself, the Cadence and HR data should be there in the format gps_dr gave, at least that's how it shows up on the 400. The problem is right now no one's software supports it. If you bring the .gpx into motionbased or sporttracks or ascent you get the track data such as position, time, speed etc., but no HR or Cadence info even though it's in the .gpx file.

Hopefully they will fix this issue down the road, I was told by garmin that the colorado would be supported by garmin connect for HR and Cadence data, but it would not be till late May at best when garmin rolls motionbased into connect. I had sent the people at Ascent a .gpx file with my HR and Cadence data in it, so that may be the file he's referring to. I contacted SportTracks as well if the wanted a .gpx file to work the colorado into their software, but they never replied, could be they are already in the process of doing so.

Edited by toddm

Good information. I'd add it to the FAQ and a Mapsource bug -- it shouldn't be stripping out extensions that Garmin devices add. I noticed the other day that ExpertGPS did the same (stripped out the extensions) but I kind of expected that from 3rd party software.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

Garmin will suport Colorado in Garmin Connect (a place on web to save training logs from Edge GPS) in April.

They may also add Colorado support to Garmin Training Center that you can download for free here:

MetroGuide Europe v8 has the same Maps as City Navigator Europe v8 and City Navigator Europe NT+ v8

Problem solved. Thanks for the suggestions.

I use Load My Tracks to convert .gpx files to .kml files for use with Google Earth. As a matter of convenience, I was also using Load My Tracks to copy the "current.gpx" from the Colorado to the Macintosh desktop. It was all working well until I purchased the Garmin heart rate monitor, and was unable to view the heart rate data in Ascent. After reading the above comments I thought that perhaps Load My Tracks was stripping the heart rate data from the .gpx file.

I tried using the "current.gpx" data with Ascent, without using Load My Tracks to transfer the file to the desktop. Success, not only my heart rate data, but air temperature data is now also visible on Ascent.

toddm: be advised that the current version of Ascent (1.8.12) is capable of using and displaying heart rate, temp and cadence data from the Colorado.

Thanks again.

Garmin will suport Colorado in Garmin Connect (a place on web to save training logs from Edge GPS) in April.

They may also add Colorado support to Garmin Training Center that you can download for free here:

MetroGuide Europe v8 has the same Maps as City Navigator Europe v8 and City Navigator Europe NT+ v8

You could try uploading that .gpx file to MotionBased (which will move to Garmin Connect) now:

http://motionbased.com/

--Bill

@Barrikady

You did forget to mention that Ascent 1.8.12 only work on Mac ...

Link to software is also nice to have:

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/

And it's not free.

@bigbill25

Garmin Connect do only support Edge 605/705 and Forerunner 50

No Edge 205/305, no Colorado

But as I did write Gamin will support Colorado soon.

PS Garmin Connect and Motionbased are no option for me. My training history is private and to be stored on my PC only. This is why I would like Training Centre is a good solution (as soon as it support Colorado)

Edited by jotne

@Barrikady

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/

And it's not free.

Hello Jotne,

Thanks for the message. I appreciate your opinion but I respectfully disagree with your statements.

YOU SAID:

If you reread my original message you will see that I stated "...in ASCENT a Macintosh replacement for Garmin's Training Center."

YOU SAID:

If you reread my original message you will note that I have a direct like to Montebello Software. Plus, if you read my message that starts with "Problem solved." you will note that I have yet another link to a direct download to Ascent.

YOU SAID:

And it's not free.

If you looked at the Montebello web site you would have noted that Montebello states:

Ascent is a free download and is fully functional except for the following:

1. only 10 activities can be loaded.

2. import of Garmin Training Center export files (.tcx/.hst) is disabled.

------------

Jotne's comments aside, I would like to say that if you have a Macintosh and a GPS, I suggest that you check out Ascent. It is a great replacement for the lame and uninspiring Training Center by Garmin. I am a satisfied user.

DISCLAIMER: The only relationship I have with Montebello Software and Rob Boyer, the developer, is that I paid Montebello $35 for a sweet piece of software...check it out!

Edited by Barrikady

Sorry that I did not see the link.

No problem, I also have a tendency to review text quickly and sometimes miss salient points in a message.

Jotne, I am not interested in nit-picking with you but I have to respond to your statement:

"But only 10 activity in eval means that it's not free, since you will for sure have more."

First, let's make sure that we agree what this forum is for. To my understanding this forum is for the dissemination of information about geocaching and GPS useage. Do you agree?

Jumping on my message and berating me for not discussing the financial implications of a piece of software is short-sighted and, more importantly, it send a disturbing message to every poster on this forum that if you don't cover every base and cross every T and dot every I, well then, big brother will scold you for your oversights.

Let's be clear about free vs. cost. Most software, if it's any good, has a monetary value to an end user. Software developers deserve to be rewarded for their time, their knowledge and their ability. Montebello Software makes a fully functional version of Ascent available for free, so a potential user can evaluate the product and decide if he or she is interested in spending money for Ascent with the ability to store an unlimited amount of data. That seems to be a fair and equitable way to provide software.

However, if a user wants to use Ascent for absolutely no charge, that is also possible. Simply remove previous entries, so the total number of entries is less than 10. That's simple and it's free.

We do not need to go into a long debate about this. I just pointed out that it's not free, and that Training Center is free.

I have no problem paying for good software.

Garmin's problem is that they make a new hardware with new function and that they do not make software for us to use with it.