SA Cache Reviewer

erik88l-r

Hi folks,

I've just returned from a fantastic two week visit to South Africa. I was honored to meet many of you, and truly enjoyed touring much of the country and seeing the many great things your country has to offer. It was very gratifying to be invited to spend the night at the homes of Fish Eagle, Global Rat, and Vic and Gill of the Trickies. I traveled with all three, found some 70 caches, and was deeply touched to be able to participate in events hosted by Noddy, Global Rat, and the Trickies. It was a great trip, and I'm only sorry that now I'm back home and back to my ten hour work days, rather than days of geocaching and seeing the sights.

In a way I feel guilty in having to now tell you that in a way my visit was a farewell tour. You all thanked me for my years of work, but the assumption was there that I'd be continuing in that role. Unfortunately my work load means I have to do like your Eskom - shed some of the load. The positive, though, is that geocaching has grown to the point in South Africa that you really should have a dedicated local reviewer.

In the events I attended in SA I was often asked how I started as a reviewer, and what areas I covered. I was honest in telling everyone that I started by covering every state and country in the world, but handed off most of them over the years to local geocachers to review as the sport grew. I kept waiting for someone to ask me when that would occur for South Africa, but out of politeness (I suppose) you folks never asked that logical question.

I'd started looking for someone to hand over the responsibilities for South African cache reviews some six months ago. My first choice turned me down, which in retrospect isn't a bad thing, as we're generally suspicious of anyone eager or dumb enough to really want to do the job. I kept after him though, and eventually he gave in. Fish Eagle / Andy Maclaurin impressed me greatly with his tenacity in getting the South African provinces added to the geocaching.com website, and then spearheading adding them to the existing cache pages. There are several other South African geocachers who I know would also do a great job as a reviewer, and we may call upon them to help Andy as volumes continue to increase. As Andy does not work full time and is very organized in tracking caches and travel bugs/geocoins he seems like a natural at this time as the first South African based reviewer. He's also got access to SA maps on his PC that I don't have, and has the benefit of operating in the same time zone as his customers, so should be able to better serve you than I can.

In many areas local reviewers have become a necessity due to local restrictions on our sport. That hasn't happened in SA yet, but Andy and I suspect it will only be a matter of time in places like KNP. As Andy lives nearby, and had many caches in Kruger, he would be good person to handle negotiations with parks like Kruger should it become necessary. That is something I'd have no way of doing from the US.

I nominated Fish Eagle to geocaching.com and to the other cache reviewers for their feedback about a month ago. They carefully looked at his forum postings, his cache hides and finds, his work with the SA provinces, his experience, etc., and unanimously agreed with my recommendation.

I've spent my time with Andy in the past weeks downloading the needed reviewer tools to his laptop, and showing him the ropes. He's been able to publish caches for two weeks now, but deferred to me until I thought it a good time to hand the reins to him. That time is now.

I'll still be available to fill in when Fish Eagle is on holiday or if Eskom really starts picking on Nelspruit in it's load shedding, but starting Wednesday, 19 March please look to Andy to be your primary contact for cache reviews, coordinate updates, and the like.

I've very much enjoyed working with you over the years, and Carol and I again thank you for your friendship and enthusiastic welcome on our holiday in South Africa. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Please give Andy a warm welcome and your full support!

All the best,

~erik~

Wow.... That is one bit of sad news.... But then again to have Andy in on this is also great. Erik it was great to have met you and Carol on your trip down to our continent. Although I have only been in this whole mad sport of caching for a year and a day, it was great to see the email come through from you on the approval of my caches. I could only imagine how much time and dedication it must have taken on your part to just do all them reviews, I take my hat off to you. Well done. But I see the point you have in appointing Andy to this and I cannot think of a better person to take on the job. Excellent choice. Thanks once again for the amazing job you have done for all of us in South Africa, go well and enjoy the rest.

To Andy. Congratulations and all the best. I hope that you do not get too overwhelmed by the slingshot cacher.... LOL.

It was great having you in our country. It is a bit of a surpise you stepping down, but I'm sure Andy will do a great job of reviewing our caches. As you say, the sport has grown considerably in SA and I agree, the time has come to appoint a local reviewer.

Once again, thank you for visiting, it was great having you here and finally meeting the man who woke up at 4am to publish our NOLY caches.

Great to meet you on your trip around SA Eric and Carol - and Eric for all the hard work you have done for caching in this part of the world.

Andy it was also a pleasure to meet one of the big names in caching and thank you for taking on the job of local reviewer I know you will have the support of all our local cachers. Go Well!

Thanks Erik, for your kind words, and for the many years that you've assisted cachers in SA.

It was great to spend time with you and Carol, and to hunt some caches together.

Also thank you for the confidence you have shown in me - I'm very honoured.

I'll give it my best, but I know that you'll be a tough act to follow.

I'm looking forward to my new duties, so keep those new caches rolling..... :)

Excellent Fish Eagle. A "feather" in the cap! Great.

Sorry to have missed you Erik & Carl, but thanks for all that you've done for me with my cahces - and all those previously that I now so eagerly hunt.

Go well and we hope to see you back here again soon.

All the best Andy - and I know that you'll do a great job.

All things must change, and although it may be sad that we will not see Eriks' name on our cache approval pages, the joy of seeing Fish Eagle will be equally as pleasing.

Let's all keep up the quality of South Africa caches (even though I am off to the land of lame cache hides!). :)

Not having met either Erik or Fisheagle - certainly our loss at the recent event,but that is another story. Thanks to Erik for all you help/work over the years...

Well done Fisheagle!!!! We think you are the best choice in the country!!!! Now really looking forward to meeting you !! looking forward to getting a few toughies past you some time soon....heehee

:D:D:D

Thanks Erik for the work done over the past years, it was always a pleasure to communicate with you and to have your opinions in caching. Was lovely to meet Carol and you last weekend at the event organized by GR, just too many cachers to talk more in person.

We will always remember you, and for sure your trademark LR which hopefully can also make it on your next visit to SA, just joking but we can always arrange one for you, you know now how flexible we are down here.

Your choice to appoint Fish Eagle is excellent and fully endorsed by the South African community, if one Geocacher with the right ability, drive and experience to step in your foot steps, it can only be him. This said with all my interaction with Fish Eagle and also our long standing friendship and relationship in Geocaching, after all his contribution to Geocaching in the Lowveld as well in South Africa are outstanding, he deserves it.

For sure Andy and Lindy, your workload will now increase expotential, but as I know you are enjoying it, keeps you out of mischief anyway.

From Cache Fan a warm welcome to Fish Eagle keep it on for the years to come.

Greetings from Cache Fan

:D:D:D

Congratulations on your appointment, Andy - we know you will do a wonderful job and look forward to having many caches reviewed and approved by you.

Erik, it was wonderful meeting you and Carol - thanks so very much for all you have done for caching in SA. Although you will no longer be our Reviewer, we look forward to a continued friendship with a special couple.

Thank you erik88l-r for your past and future interest in South African Geocaching. Strangely I always thought you were a born and raised South African for the understanding of local difficulties, and needs you approved. You will always be in our hearts fondly.

Congratulations Andy & Lindy, we do look up to your leadership and approval. I can honestly say that you are the only man that I followed up the mountain for your leadership and enthusiasm is seldom seen in South Africa today.

Leon Wilken

I have not been on the forums for a week, and then this BIG news happens.

Eric it was great having you as a reviewer, and it is a huge role to fulfil for your protégé. And yes, I agree with all the others, the best team for the job is Andy & Lindy.

Erik, all the best on your “reviewer's retirement”.

Andy & Lindy: Thanks for taking over the reigns from Erik, and giving up on some of your geocaching "seek" time, to do the admin work for S.A.

I know what he looks like... Now to find him in the week that I have left... :)

its shouldnt be too hard - he works just up the road from you!

Gosh, one week - you'd best go on a big cache spree this week!

I guess no hint eh? :)

So little time, I may not get many finds in before I'm in the Eastern Cape, than Abu Dhabi, than...

Thanks Erik for a job well done and with enthusiasm and dedication. It was great meeting you and doing a few caches together from Umdloti Beach to Pop Inn.

Congrats to you Fish Eagle, I see you are hard at work already. Definitely the right person for the job.

Hey Wazat - it's a case of being in the right place at the right time........

Or maybe it's many years in the supermarket game - it's all about customer service, you know!! :)

BTW, if you don't want your cache published while you're still working on it, then untick the little box that says -

"Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.) "

That will give you a "Work in Progress" listing, and when you're ready, then tick the box to drop it into the review queue. As a WIP, it's not in my review queue, so I won't see it.

Regards,

Andy

Hey Wazat - it's a case of being in the right place at the right time........

Or maybe it's many years in the supermarket game - it's all about customer service, you know!! ;)

BTW, if you don't want your cache published while you're still working on it, then untick the little box that says -

"Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.) "

That will give you a "Work in Progress" listing, and when you're ready, then tick the box to drop it into the review queue. As a WIP, it's not in my review queue, so I won't see it.

Regards,

Andy

I thank you for the great customer service....

Actually I didn't realise the "yes" button. I never really bothered as I have always had the listing ready way before it was published. I was only going to upload one pic anyway but it turned out to be 4 in the end. Anyway... Not a problem. It's published, that's what counts. Now to see if someone is willing to get off the good roads....

Eric, thanx for your dedication and work. Sorry not to meet you and Carol at Mac-Mac or Nelspruit.

Fish Eagle, congrats on your appointment. You deserve it. Being only about 20km from your home, you will get more caches from me to review . . . and to visit.

Good luck with the work ahead.

Fish Eagle, congrats on your appointment. You deserve it. Being only about 20km from your home, you will get more caches from me to review . . . and to visit.

Thanks Bouts777. We enjoyed hunting some of your caches yesterday, especially the one on top of Boschjeskop. :unsure: Hope we get to meet you someday soon.