Pocket Queries on BlackBerry - CacheBerry

(moderator please delete if is not acceptable to announce geocaching software here)

CacheBerry v1.0 has been released at CacheBerry.com, this is an application specifically designed to support Pocket Queries (and other full GPX formats such as those produced by GSAK) on the Blackberry.

Features include:

Supports Groundspeak GPX format

View comprehensive listing details

View recent logs

View and decrypt hints

View travelbug inventories

Mark as found and enter comments

Sort by nearest, recent finds, waypoint, title

Display distance and bearing from "home"

Email found Geocache logs to your desktop

Search title, description and owner

Find-as-you-type waypoint name

Import from SD-Card or USB transfer

Finally an app for the Blackberry! Thank You! Thank you! Downloading now...

I was unable to get it to load on my Verizon Blackberry Pearl because I keep getting a message that Jave is not enabled on my browser...

There must be a simple solution, I just don't seem to be able to find out what it is...

I downloaded the program and unzipped it. I try to install the applicatin using Blackberry desktop manager, but when I try to add the application, it tells me that there are no supported applications available to add.

any other hints?

I'm having the same problem. How did you get it to work? The OTA link is just telling me that I don't have the proper software either. It downloads some kind of error checker, but isn't helping me to install the software.

I downloaded the program and unzipped it. I try to install the applicatin using Blackberry desktop manager, but when I try to add the application, it tells me that there are no supported applications available to add.

any other hints?

I'm having the same problem. How did you get it to work? The OTA link is just telling me that I don't have the proper software either. It downloads some kind of error checker, but isn't helping me to install the software.

I am also interested in this program. I am changing services in December and trying to decide between a Palm Treo and the Blackberry. Will have to see how the install problems iron out. Also I was wondering two things. Can CacheBerry interface with the driving program to give driving instructions and does it have something like the CacheNav program which will act like a standard GPS when I get out of the car.

:D Thanks. I've just downloaded CacheBerry and it works just wonderfully. I have a Rogers BlackBerry Pearl and it was easy. I don't have a SD card so I used the Desktop Manager to download the application. I then uploaded my .alx file and there was all the info I have been wanting. I checked to see if the waypoints were there but not. I use NoteTabLight to download waypoints to my Blackberry. I use the Maps on my BlackBerry to locate the cache. It's pretty precise. Thanks so much for posting the note. This will make a world of difference to my Geocaching. Much much appreciated. Edited by Sakidoo

Hi.

Found this thread to be the most useful to dig up for my questions.

I downloaded the trial version of CacheBErry to test yesterday and installed on BB 8800. Worked excellent and I like the general handling. My questions:

1. Can't import from SD chip. Option 'Import' is not available in the menu and I have not been able to make it work by any other means. Using USB works, but has certain letters (ÄÖÜ °) displayed as ?

2. Can't enter home coords to get distance and bearing

Are these items that will go away with the registered version?

Also the filter option 'by find' is of limited use imho.

Maybe further options, like by size, distance, bearing, diff or terrain could be added in a later version?

Any response is appreciated

Thore

Hi.

Found this thread to be the most useful to dig up for my questions.

I downloaded the trial version of CacheBErry to test yesterday and installed on BB 8800. Worked excellent and I like the general handling. My questions:

1. Can't import from SD chip. Option 'Import' is not available in the menu and I have not been able to make it work by any other means. Using USB works, but has certain letters (ÄÖÜ °) displayed as ?

2. Can't enter home coords to get distance and bearing

Are these items that will go away with the registered version?

Also the filter option 'by find' is of limited use imho.

Maybe further options, like by size, distance, bearing, diff or terrain could be added in a later version?

Any response is appreciated

Thore

1) Unplug the phone from the cable. The option to import from the SD card will be there. The program knows when your connected to USB.

2) For home cords. Enter a waypoint called home, with your cords. While on that waypoint open the menu and choose it as your home cord. Then you can sort on it for direction and distance. You can also do this rather quickly while you are at one cache and looking for the next closest one.

I have used Cacheberry for almost 3 month without any problems at all. I have upgraded through every beta since I purchased Cacheberry without a problem also. The feature to see the cache in google maps or blackberry maps is great.

Excellent program, Excellent features. THANKS! for the great program, nice work.

I am also having difficulty adding it to my Verizon Pearl, any suggestions?

Hi there,

I'm the author of CacheBerry, Can you describe the problem? or feel free to contact me directly via the link on the support page at cacheberry.com

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce,

Just had to say thanks for Cacheberry!

Hi.

...snip...

Thore

...snip...

2) For home cords. Enter a waypoint called home, with your cords. While on that waypoint open the menu and choose it as your home cord. Then you can sort on it for direction and distance. You can also do this rather quickly while you are at one cache and looking for the next closest one.

...snip...

Johnling,

thanks for the reply. I figured my 'import' problem out (wrong OS version installed, silly me)

as for your point 2).

I guess I do need to have to use the BB as my GPS to get to that feature?

I cannot find either option in any menu at the moment.

I only use the BB 'offline' to manage the listings, much like GPXview. That software had the option to enter home coords manually w/o creating a waypoint und 'settings'. (maybe a suggestion for a future option?)

Thanks again

Thore

any other hints?

I was SO excited to find this software but am having the same issues as above, did anyone figure out a solution to this? Thanks!

:D I have a few questions about the cacheberry program and would appreciate if someone could answer them. does it work with the verison network? Do you have to be a premium member in order to download the caches? If not how would I be able to download them? Would I have to purchase a cable to download? Would I have to pay for things like internet and texing and so on in order to use the program? Is the program free? If not how much does it cost and once you buy it do you have to pay each month to renew or can you use it forever? Other than that I think that is all my questions. I looked at the cacheberry page but only found about only one answer to all my questions. I'm just trying to clear things up.

Thanks

oceanwaves101 :D

Hi there,

I hope these answers clarify things

1) Verizon Network: CacheBerry is an application that runs on the BlackBerry independent of the cell phon provider

2) Premium Member: You don't need to be a premium member to download individual caches. If you want the convenience of pocket queries that allow you do download hundreds of geocaches at the same time you need to become a premium member

3) Cable: You need a USB cable to download a GPX file with the geocaches from your computer to the BlackBerry

4) No internet service, text messages etc. are needed on your BlackBerry to use CacheBerry

5) The program costs USD 14.95 and you can use it forever without any monthly fees. It can be downloaded for free use (30 days) at www.cacheberry.com

:D I have a few questions about the cacheberry program and would appreciate if someone could answer them. does it work with the verison network? Do you have to be a premium member in order to download the caches? If not how would I be able to download them? Would I have to purchase a cable to download? Would I have to pay for things like internet and texing and so on in order to use the program? Is the program free? If not how much does it cost and once you buy it do you have to pay each month to renew or can you use it forever? Other than that I think that is all my questions. I looked at the cacheberry page but only found about only one answer to all my questions. I'm just trying to clear things up.

Thanks

oceanwaves101 :D

I have been searching for a long time for a solution to paperless caching and after many google searches I came across the Cacheberry program. I have been using it for about two weeks and I LOVE it! I have a blackberry pearl from Telus without a micro card so I download files from the desktop, it works wonderful! I highly recommend this software to anyone who wants to go paperless and does not want or need to invest in another GPS or a palm device. <_<

I've added Cacheberry to my Blackberry. I'm a Mac user and normally if I need cache info I'll upload via Maccaching to my Palm.

How, being a Mac user do I send cache info to my Blackberry. Does Cacheberry work with Maccaching?

I am connected as I have the GeoNavigator on my Blackberry and I do have an ITouch and use the application from Groundspeak but I would like to be able to upload via my Mac to my Blackberry when I do not have cell signals.

Thanks so much!

Edited by lookielulu

Verizon locks the GPS on the their branded phones. I'm assuming this will not get around this lock?

Cacheberry stores the cache information, description, hints, logs etc. It does not make use of the GPS on the phone. However, it will use Blackberry Maps and Google Maps to show a cache or nearby caches. Provided you have a data Plan.

Also, if you have a BB dataplan you can access geocaching.com anytime in the field and search, check a cache listing and log a find.