"Reserving" a cache location?

I am finally getting ready to plan my first hide. There is a local park that recently had a cache archived so it is vacant and is a really great park for caching. I want to plan it as a multi and do it right. I've got just over a hundred hides under my belt, I know what I like, don't like, etc.

Question: Is it possible or is there a way to "reserve" this location so somebody doesn't swoop in and toss a film cannister in a guard rail 300' away and call that a cache?

Somewhat, yes. Enter the cache page. Put as much data as you can on the cache page. Enter a detailed reviewer note on the bottom of the submission page telling the reviewer what you are trying to accomplish. Click the submission button. Enter the waypoints you have so far for the stages as additional waypoints after you have submitted the cache so the reviewer knows right where they are and so they are in the system. Once the cache is submitted for review, you will see a link at the top right that says "waypoints". The reviewer will know you are working on the cache at that point and may disable the page. We can still see the cache if another new one is listed.

You cannot stall and take weeks to complete the process though. Once you get started, keep the process moving toward getting it published.

But if you do a multi cache, I believe only the first waypoint is counted with the 0.1 mile rule. So you could have the final stage of a multi-cache 100' away from a micro and it would be fine.

Sorry, but no. The guidelines are your friend. :)

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sat

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as “stages of a multicache.” The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as “question to answer” or “reference point,” or to any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.
Put as much data as you can on the cache page. Enter a detailed reviewer note on the bottom of the submission page telling the reviewer what you are trying to accomplish. Click the submission button. Enter the waypoints you have so far for the stages as additional waypoints after you have submitted the cache so the reviewer knows right where they are and so they are in the system. Once the cache is submitted for review, you will see a link at the top right that says "waypoints". The reviewer will know you are working on the cache at that point and may disable the page. We can still see the cache if another new one is listed.

HHHMMMMMMMM.....

Sounds a little sketchy to me. Like submitting a non-existent cache, getting it approved, then disabling it.....until you get your act together.

Or.. .. If it's going to take you a while. Place a film canister micro there, and then just archive it when you're ready to do the actual hide >.>

.... What? It'd work.

it'd be cheesy, but it'd work.

As long as the micro is there for at least 90 days before you archive it, per the guidelines below

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
As long as the micro is there for at least 90 days before you archive it, per the guidelines below

Let's see, "it got muggled after two days. Going to archive and change container and move to a location nearby"

Of course, no one would KNOWINGLY break the rules.....