Get Ready for a Flaming Rant!

kurchian

You know the feeling.

You've been on the prowl looking for the cache. And then, Voila! You spy a likely hiding spot and there it is. That sense of anticipation is numbing (well, perhaps not numbing, but at least exciting :) ). You wonder what you will find inside.

If you are a young kid, you are hoping to trade some kewl stuff. If you are on old kid you still are curious what you will find inside. You pry open the lid to see what is inside. The sense of anticipation increases. Your heart beat quickens.

And what falls out first?

........ a handful of damp "business cards" announcing who has found the cache. "Oh wow, Hookie Pookie found this!", say I. Another icky damp stained card tumbles out and proclaims "The Phantom Strikes - Found on 6/12/05". Not sure about you, but I don't even like touching these gross little annoyances.

Seriously folks, why do you feel compelled to insert these inane cards in the cache? All they do is clutter up the cache contents. They are the Internet equivalent of spam. They are useless to the sport of geocaching. They are egocentric.

The universally accepted contents of a cache contain tradeable items and a log book. All finders are encouraged to log their find in the log book. Your own personalized ink stamp in the log book is a little silly, but acceptable. Stapling your silly little "business card" to the log book is mildly annoying. But littering the cache contents with the gift of your "business card" as artistic as you think it might be is in contradiction to the sport of geocaching.

B)

I challenge all you "business card" litterers out there to justify throwing their cards into the cache.

With me it is the ink stamps I can't stand. Those and Sharpies. When the log gets the least bit damp the inks run and wipe out signatures and the logs that go with 'em. The "sig cards" don't bother me, as long as they aren't stapled to the log.

You probably don't want to hear this but I like finding peoples signature items in a cache. If I don't have it I take it and add it to my collection and know of other who do the same. I enjoy getting to know a little of the cachers personality by what they design and also like to see people that travel from other areas and find a cache. I leave my pathtags in caches and sometimes my card. Here is what a cacher who recently found my pathtag wrote.

"On Sunday 3-16-08, I thought I had a chance at a FTF on rebelex's new cache. You must have been very close to make that one. I was more than happy to get a STF because your new pathtag made it all worth while. Its now my favorite one. Split Rock is an awsome place. Thanks, TopGear"

We all like different things but I have yet to find someone who likes the old dirty golf balls. :)

With me it is the ink stamps I can't stand. Those and Sharpies. When the log gets the least bit damp the inks run and wipe out signatures and the logs that go with 'em. The "sig cards" don't bother me, as long as they aren't stapled to the log.

The same could be said for labels if they were printed using inkjet printers.

But anyways, I've never had a problem with finding wet cards in caches. Usually those I find are in watertight caches (which is the real problem here) or the cards are laminated. But at the same time, I usually find no more than 2-3 cards in a cache.

When I broke my arm a stamp was the only way I could sign a log book unless I was caching with someone else. I have also found that sometimes a pen won't write on a damp log and just tear up the paper.

You probably don't want to hear this but I like finding peoples signature items in a cache. If I don't have it I take it and add it to my collection and know of other who do the same. I enjoy getting to know a little of the cachers personality by what they design and also like to see people that travel from other areas and find a cache. I leave my pathtags in caches and sometimes my card. Here is what a cacher who recently found my pathtag wrote.

"On Sunday 3-16-08, I thought I had a chance at a FTF on rebelex's new cache. You must have been very close to make that one. I was more than happy to get a STF because your new pathtag made it all worth while. Its now my favorite one. Split Rock is an awsome place. Thanks, TopGear"

We all like different things but I have yet to find someone who likes the old dirty golf balls. :)

What exactly is a pathtag?

I challenge all you "business card" litterers out there to justify throwing their cards into the cache.

I haven't made any sig items yet, but I like them. Things unique to a cacher or handmade, cards included, are my favorite things to find in a cache. I guess everybody has something they don't care for in a cache. I'm not fan of golf balls or key chains from the local car dealer, but I don't consider them "litter" just because I don't like them. To each his own.

I make my own signature cards and leave them in caches. I just laminate them first so they don't become soggy wads of paper. Yes, signing the log is necessary and I do it, but sometimes IT becomes a soggy wad of paper... in times like that there is a beautiful, yellow, plastic enclosed card telling the world proudly that "Sioneva was here!"

(Of course, I've run out and I have to make more, but...)

Why is the rant about soggy business cards instead of non-water tight caches? :)

OK, leave out the soggy part. Soggy or dry the "signature cards" have no value to the sport. They clog up the cache.

Much like baseball cards have nothing to do with that sport....right?

bulletinboard-05-09.JPG

Personally I enjoy them. Is anyone here on my wall?

Edited: Click Here for larger image (oh and this image is about 2 and a half years old).

Edited again to fix link...grrrr.

Edited by CYBret

Cacher business cards are alright in my book. So too, are stamps.

I always assumed the cards were meant for the cache owner's collection and/or for other cachers that collect such items.

I agree that if they are wet and ruined, they are just trash. But that is, as Cybret indicated, a cache problem- not a card problem.

Likewise, if my stamp runs, it is also a cache problem. I like gel pens. If I sign a log and it gets wet it runs and becomes unreadable. Wet logbooks DO that. Quit using Gladware®, Altoids® tins, Hide-A-Key®, Tupperware® knock-offs, film cans, and other such JUNK cache containers and the soggy thing won't be a problem.

Why is the rant about soggy business cards instead of non-water tight caches? :)

OK, leave out the soggy part. Soggy or dry the "signature cards" have no value to the sport. They clog up the cache.

Everybody is welcome to their own opinion, but why does it have to be pushed on everybody as the only one?

The rant is askewed. Instead of complaining about the cards, why wasn't their a Needs Maintenance log to advise the owner they're neglecting their cache? The dampness hurts everything. I noticed you didn't complain about that. You just have a bone to pick about cards. Not everybody has $$$ to toss coins or wooden nickles in a cache much less some other high priced signature item, but nooooo, you need to pick cards as a bone of contention to satisfy your greed for better goodies.

How's that for an opinion?

If the cache is clogged why hasn't someone mentioned it in a post and why hasn't the owner cleared it?

If it is wet why aren't you complaining about a bad cache container with wet contents.

Personally I like to collect a card from someone I know or respect.

Cacher business cards are alright in my book. So too, are stamps.

I always assumed the cards were meant for the cache owner's collection and/or for other cachers that collect such items.

I agree that if they are wet and ruined, they are just trash. But that is, as Cybret indicated, a cache problem- not a card problem.

Likewise, if my stamp runs, it is also a cache problem. I like gel pens. If I sign a log and it gets wet it runs and becomes unreadable. Wet logbooks DO that. Quit using Gladware®, Altoids® tins, Hide-A-Key®, Tupperware® knock-offs, film cans, and other such JUNK cache containers and the soggy thing won't be a problem.

Agreed. I have quite a collection of cacher cards. Some are really cute or creative.

Personally, I take every one I don't already have and replace them with my more waterproof calling card.

a7d06b96-6ea8-41b4-81a0-6ad02a515c49.jpg

Now, I've seen one team leave a card instead of signing the log. I didn't agree with that choice, but it's their choice to get a log deleted if an anal owner comes along and deletes their find if their card doesn't still reside in the cache. :)

I agree. I do not mind the cards, so they are cheap, they are easy to put into a binder to collect.

They are not as cheap as just inking TFTC, or Thanks for the cache.

Now crapy containers, that is an issue worth talking about

Now, I've seen one team leave a card instead of signing the log. I didn't agree with that choice, but it's their choice to get a log deleted if an anal owner comes along and deletes their find if their card doesn't still reside in the cache. :)

No doubt a "numbers run" tactic. At least they left SOME evidence (IN THE CACHE) of their being there. Beats signing the tree or claiming a find because they "knew they were in the right area."

What do ya'll think about cachers who print personal calling cards on stickers? There is nothing like opening up a SMALL magnetic key holder and finding a LARGE sticker stuck to the entire bottom of it saying "So and So was here". Or people who use packing tape to cover their small calling card so that it will never be removed?

In a word it SUCKS

I know of one cacher in East Central Florida who loves old golf balls. Strangest thing I ever saw. B)B)

Back on topic: I tend to judge business card signature items by the effort involved in making them and the creativity that went into them. Something spewed out of an Inkjet with nothing more than "BillyBobNosePicker was here" seems kinda lame, while a professionally printed, laminated card with original artwork is always fun to admire.

Kind of an "Effort = Quality" thing.

Not everybody has $$$ to toss coins or wooden nickles in a cache much less some other high priced signature item, but nooooo, you need to pick cards as a bone of contention to satisfy your greed for better goodies.

How's that for an opinion?

Incomplete. Are you tossing in your card in exchange for a geocoin or a wooden nickel? Because if you are, I think your opinion stinks.

If not, carry on! I think I could get into collecting geocards.

...Are you tossing in your card in exchange for a geocoin or a wooden nickel? Because if you are, I think your opinion stinks.

If not, carry on! I think I could get into collecting geocards.

I always just add my 'wooden nickle' unless I trade out another sig item separate from swag.

I'll trade bouncy balls or mcToys, even little rubber snakes for like items. But sig swag is separate.

Edited by Airhead-kb
Are you tossing in your card in exchange for a geocoin or a wooden nickel? Because if you are, I think your opinion stinks.
I'm sure you just misspoke or I misinterpreted what you just typed, but a friendly reminder:

Geocoins and Travel Bugs are not trade items. If you have nothing to trade, you can still take one to move it along.

That being said, I'll usually put something in a cache (like a TTJ wooden nickel) if I take a coin/TB out, mostly because I've seen too many logs that say "Took cool swag, left TB." Ack! :D

THEY AREN'T TRADE ITEMS!!!! :D

Personally, I enjoy finding sig items that are unique. For example, a cacher here in Denmark places wooden mushrooms in the caches he finds. When I see a card, I usually just ignore it - although I might take it if it is unusual.

What exactly is a pathtag?

This is a pathtag. Beware, they are addicting :D

Naomi :D

Those look pretty cool! However, I doubt that there are many users of these in Denmark, and I would prefer a more personalised, cheaper sig item.

Are you tossing in your card in exchange for a geocoin or a wooden nickel? Because if you are, I think your opinion stinks.
I'm sure you just misspoke or I misinterpreted what you just typed, but a friendly reminder:

Geocoins and Travel Bugs are not trade items. If you have nothing to trade, you can still take one to move it along.

That being said, I'll usually put something in a cache (like a TTJ wooden nickel) if I take a coin/TB out, mostly because I've seen too many logs that say "Took cool swag, left TB." Ack! :D

Well, actually some geocoins are trade items - it just depends on whether or not they're trackable, and, if trackable, whether or not they've been activated. For instance, I have a personal geocoin that IS a trade item. :D

Cacher's personal signature geocaching cards I think are great. What I hate is "Joebob's Plumbing", "Susie's Massage" or "Sammy's Bail Bond", etc. I don't want to find your freaking business card in the cache. Sig items and cards aren't "business" cards.

As for a Snoogan's smashed penny - I'd snag that puppy in a heartbeat. :D

Thanks....that's just the little bulletin board though. :D

I have a 6 YO and 10 YO who share Bret's feelings on this one. They would rather trade for the sig cards than anything else in the caches we have found so far.

wow...6 and 10...I'm in good company! :D

Cacher's personal signature geocaching cards I think are great. What I hate is "Joebob's Plumbing", "Susie's Massage" or "Sammy's Bail Bond", etc. I don't want to find your freaking business card in the cache. Sig items and cards aren't "business" cards.

Six years of playing this game and I think I've probably only seen actually business cards in caches maybe 6 times. I don't know...maybe it's a regional thing or maybe I'm just not noticing them.

As for a Snoogan's smashed penny - I'd snag that puppy in a heartbeat. :D

I too am hoping to see some of these around Woodland during GeoWoodstock! :D

DCC

I'm more disturbed by annoying petty rants clogging up the forums than stuff in a cache. :D

Gimme the log book so I can sign my name; and if you took me somewhere special, or I want to share something with people only after they find the cache I'll write a bit more. I tend to be wordier online than in the field.

I don't care much about the rest of the cache contents-but that's just how I play. YMMV

Thanks for the correction, Too Tall.