Magellan 500 AC wall adapter

I just bought a explorist 500 with the usb cable that needs the extra AC wall adapter in order to charge the battery. Can someone out there tell me what the specs for this adapter are - I would like to see if a universal adapter will work instead. I need the charge, voltage and polarity of the plug (ie. negative on inside or outer ring). THANKS!

I just bought a explorist 500 with the usb cable that needs the extra AC wall adapter in order to charge the battery. Can someone out there tell me what the specs for this adapter are - I would like to see if a universal adapter will work instead. I need the charge, voltage and polarity of the plug (ie. negative on inside or outer ring). THANKS!

Reading from my power adaptor for the 500:

Switching Adapter

I.T.E. Power Supply

Part No: 730536-01

Model No.: MU12-2050100-A1

Input: 100-240V ~

50/60Hz 0.5A

Output: 5.0V (straight line over 3 dashes) 1.0A

Efficiency Level: (IV)

Plug Diagram shows Outside Negative Inside Positive

Oh yeah Made in China (go figure)

The USB cable that comes with the Explorists will charge the unit IF and only if the unit is turned off. connecting the cable backwards will still charge it, but will not allow data connection. I don't think this is bad for the unit, but there is no reason to do so intentionally.

Charging through the USB connection will be very slow (trickle charge) I picked up a sony PSP car charger for 5$. I modified the tip on a samsung cell phone charger (same output 5V DC 1000mAh) and it works great. It's also the same power adaptor as some of the Toshiba Pocket PCs (which I use for paperless caching). You can pick up the correct tips from radio shack for cheap and just make sure that it's the correct voltage and that the center pin is the positive.

Edited by bassmig