Your best DNF log.

gof1

These forums can always use a light harted thread or two. With that in mind I came up with this idea.

We all have caches we just can't seem to find. We often blame it on bad reception, low batteries, poor alignment of the stars, whatever. I know we all log our DNFs. So what one are you most proud of?

For me it was for a local "Lame Micro" The point was to log your find with eight words or less.

GC11w11

DNF log part one.

DNF log part two

Remember, the point is to have fun. Lets not argue the merits of logging (or not) DNFs.

This sounds interesting...

OK, from one of my most recent DNF's. GCQPKF

And another, closer to home, that was a thorn in my side for a loonnnnng time. Make sure you read LAS4's logs that are close to mine to get the full effect, as he had a heck of a time with it as well:

:

GCHZRN, strike 1

GCHZRN, strike 2

GCHZRN, found it!

GCHZRN, I just can't leave it alone...

I've got lots of DNFs! I blame the kids most of the time. This one is for my favorite cache, even though it has yet to be up and running: GCHMJX

Print a copy of that log and put it in the little mons...toddlers scrap book. It'll be fun to drag out when he starts bringing girls home. "Jullie, you HAVE to check out these photos of little [insert name of child here] as a baby. Oh, and there was the time he was flinging poo, just like a little monkey." He'll love you for it.

Wow. Looks like Lefty and I are the only ones who DNF caches. :D

At least I'm in good company.

I have plenty of DNFs.

I just don't have any interesting DNF stories. Best I can do is the 1/1 micro that I positivly cannot find, but found the letterbox that's int he same area.

I have had lots, and lots, of DNFs . . . :D My most memorable one was one that encompassed more than four hours from the beginning of the hike, the disappointing, unsuccessful search, and the long hike back to the vehicle . . .

After that, I decided the best motto should really be "Hard Hike, Easy Find." :D

My favorite DNF???

Wow this one had me thinking for a while, but I would have to say it was the one where my geo-buddy and I went to a field in 2001 and were looking for a cache that has since been archived. As we were standing there, this amazing light came from above and next thing I knew it was 2006 and I was in this military base and had acquired these amazing new powers of being able to pinpoint a location, in coordinates, without having to use a GPSr. I seem to remember 4399 other people there, but they never got my ability (the best by far)!

Oh, sorry...I must have been thinking of this:

http://www.tv.com/search.php?qs=the+4400&a...p;om_clk=search

or maybe it was when my plane crashed on this island and we found polar bears and all kinds of weird stuff, but no cache:

http://www.tv.com/lost/show/24313/summary....results;title;1

Ooops, sorry. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the real from the perceived...

OK, seriously. The best DNF I ever had was when a friend of mine, MuckSavage emailed me during work and said that he was having trouble finding a cache, did I want to help? After saying, "Of course.", we set out and looked for this new cache, on the hottest day of the year, for well over an hour. The whole time we were saying things like, "Stupid Game!" (Muck) and "I do this for WHAT reason?" (me). After that super long period of time, I called someone that I was sure found it already and got the response, "Oh, the numbers to that cache were listed wrong. Here are the correct coords!" BLAH!!!!!!!!!

To make a long story short, we finally headed off, got that cache, had a couple of celebratory Land Sharks and went on our merry way. The best part is that the very next day, I went to the place we parked and placed a cache there entitled "Bangin' Our Heads" - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d4-a9458b0c8f5a and challenged Muck for the FTF....dadgum if he didn't! And it has been a semi-popular cache. Especially for all those that looked at the wrong coords!

My best DNF log? How about the most pathetic?

I have posted DNFs for my own caches twice! :huh:

I suspect I was set up for the first one as the logs will explain, but I have no excuse for the second.

For the first DNF, a little history is needed. Click on the link below then scroll down and begin reading with Masvolk's (also known as RODL) log posted on January 1, 2007. FYI - RODL uses the name Masvolk when caching with his son.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Here is the link to the second DNF.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...9f-497884d8df4b

I have yet to read the relevant logs, but I know how it feels. I could not find one of my own caches. I figured it was a victim of winters fury and replaced it. All was fine for the next few finders. Then one day I got a find log asking why I would use two ammo cans at the same location. DOH!