Which multi-tool for hiking etc ?

I have always carried a Gerber multi, I prefer it's opening mechanism to the leatherman series. However, I am intrigued by the new Leatherman Skeletool. In fact, I went to buy one last week, but REI was out of stock.

I have carried a leatherman ( the original) since day one. This year I replaced it with a Surge. It is on the heavy side, but you can remove the diamond-coated file to sharpen the knife blade with. Locking blades and tools. Open knifes with one hand. The Wave looks good also.

Im looking for a multi tool to carry in my backpack when out hiking.

Most of the leatherman tools seem to focus on pliers, and ive no need for them ( i think)

Things i may need, Knife,scissors,saw,wire cutter.

Any recomendations ?

thanks

There are a lot of multi-tools that are worth their weight in gold, but you should think about the usage of all the attachments before you buy into them.

Scissors are pretty redundant if you keep your blade nice and sharp. They also get out of whack pretty easy and become worse than useless.

A saw on a multi-tool is almost useless for real wood cutting. Get yourself a pocket chainsaw.

Something with a needlenose wire cutter combo is very useful.

A can opener will save your blade for more important uses.

Beyond that, its about bells and whistles and what you're willing to pay for.

I have a Leatherman Wave (before the latest version) and a Leatherman Charge Ti (that was before the newest TTi model), and I like them both very much.

If all you really need are: "Knife, scissors, saw, wire cutter" then you might be better off getting a good knife, some scissors, a folding saw, and wire cutters (for cutting fence wire I prefer an actual fencing tool because the longer handles give much needed leverage).

A mutli-tool isn't the best at doing anything, but it's pretty good at doing lots of things and packs in a pretty small space. I wouldn't head out without one.

I prefer a multi-tool that has all locking tools (e.g. most, but not all, Leatherman models). I don't enjoy having a non-locked-open tool slam shut on my fingers when I'm using it.

Edited by Ferreter5

Retired LEO, wasn't bothered by having a row of "stuff" on my belt.

Times change (as well as my back ) and now I carry a Leatherman Charge TTi.

Has just about everything I'd need for a day out.

Don't believe the titanium makes it any lighter, but wanted the s30v clip point on this model.

Couple of weeks ago, one of my climbing gizmos needed a fix (fitted w/ socket-head cap screws) and the additional head tool kit and the strength of this baby got me out of a bind (literally.)

One tool replaced five for me.

I swear by my trusty Gerber multitool for just about any job around the house but have sworn OFF of it for hiking/backpacking. Call me a "gram weenie" but after lugging it for a section hike along the Appalachian Trail last May, it got replaced on a subsequent section hike with a very simple Swiss Army Knife. All anyone ever needs!

I had an older model Gerber multitool when they first came out, and it ALWAYS pinched my fingers. I now carry a leatherman kick, but I usually have 3 knives on me when hiking anyway, as I can NOT give up my old pocketknife (its like a part of me now), and I carry a norwegian made fixed blade, that I keep sharper than a razor. The leatherman is great. Needlenose pliers can come in quite handy, and sometimes I wonder how I got along without it!

Thanks for all the replys.

To answer questions asked, I just go on day hikes, nothing too remote. But i wanted a Multi tool 'just in case'

Maybe a saw for cutting wood for a fire, wire cutters for barbed wire etc.

Difficult to know what to get as i said its 'just in case'

thanks

Thanks for all the replys.

To answer questions asked, I just go on day hikes, nothing too remote. But i wanted a Multi tool 'just in case'

thanks

If you need to cut up wood for a fire and wire cutters for barbed wire, those must be some 'day-hikes'!

michelle

I will answer this seriously.

To answer questions asked, I just go on day hikes, nothing too remote. But i wanted a Multi tool 'just in case'. Maybe a saw for cutting wood for a fire, wire cutters for barbed wire etc.

If you are thinking of cutting wood during a day hike, I assume you are talking about emergency overnight stay. You want to cut branches for emergency fires with the saw in a multi-tool? Break one off, then break it into pieces (and first try to just pick up enough dry, dead wood). By the time you are done cutting one into nice pieces, you will be sweating and will have spent too much energy. It's an emergency, not woodwork.

Whose barbed wire are you intending to cut? Are you planning on invading someone's private property during a day hike and just cut your way through it? You're not intending on following trails?

I am not trying to be overly harsh, just realistic about a need for some of those toys you will never use.

What else is there in the multi-tool that you think you cannot live without? Throw it at me and let's talk. :D

Edited by hwyhobo

I will answer this seriously.

To answer questions asked, I just go on day hikes, nothing too remote. But i wanted a Multi tool 'just in case'. Maybe a saw for cutting wood for a fire, wire cutters for barbed wire etc.

If you are thinking of cutting wood during a day hike, I assume you are talking about emergency overnight stay. You want to cut branches for emergency fires with the saw in a multi-tool? Break one off, then break it into pieces (and first try to just pick up enough dry, dead wood). By the time you are done cutting one into nice pieces, you will be sweating and will have spent too much energy. It's an emergency, not woodwork.

Whose barbed wire are you intending to cut? Are you planning on invading someone's private property during a day hike and just cut your way through it? You're not intending on following trails?

I am not trying to be overly harsh, just realistic about a need for some of those toys you will never use.

What else is there in the multi-tool that you think you cannot live without? Throw it at me and let's talk. :D

I apreciate your reply. As i said the tools will be 'just in case'.

Who knows what i may come across in the middle of nowhere ?

Maybe a trapped animal or person in barbed wire ?

I guess nobody plans on getting into problems when out hiking, but people still carry torches (flashlights) on a day hike and emergency blankets etc..

So as i said it 'just in case'

Edited by jonslater

For general all-around just-in-case type use something like a Leatherman Wave would be a good choice.

I'm not sure I'd cut firewood with it because serious firewood cutting would require an axe and/or saw. For emergency firewood I'd stick with what I could scrounge or break myself. Firewood doesn't have to be pretty to burn.

As to cutting barbed wire or other farm/ranch type fence wire, yes it's possible to do with a multi-tool. I've done it because we have lots of it here on our property. However it is usually not easy, depending upon the wire you are cutting due to the short handles length of a multi-tool not generating huge amounts of force. For any significant amounts of wire fence cutting/repairing I've always preferred a dedicated fencing tool because of the longer handles, but that seems like quite a large/heavy tool to carry in your pack for just-in-case.

A multi-tool is frequently not the best tool for a job, but it is almost always "good enough" to get the job done. Check around with your friends and other hikers to see what they're carrying. This way you can handle different ones and find out how folks are using them in the field.

Edited by Ferreter5

I have a Leatherman that has a small fork and a butter knife. Comes in pretty handy for spreading tuna on crackers or eating canned sardines or smoked oysters. I used the pliers on the Leatherman once to repair a friend's frame pack, and another time to fix a zipper on a tent, so you never know when you will need a certain tool. I was glad to have it along.

I also bring a Swiss Army knife. I forget the model, probably a Climber or Hiker. Scissors are a key feature for me. Good for cutting moleskins. Next on the list is the corkscrew (gotta bring wine on a backpacking trip)

and of course the blade. If I have those 3 I'm happy.

1250_large.jpg

As multi as I would need. Good for prying, chopping, cutting, opening, pounding, whatever. I am not a big fan of multi tools. I always found it more frustrating trying to get the small blades, tools out. I've peeled back far too many nails to count. Give me a fixed balde or a single folder and I will make it work. It may not be pretty but it's practical and when away from the comfort of home thats all I want/need.

Buck knives has a nice selection of multi tools

Have a friend who works in a sporting goods store, he's the one that turned me onto the victorinox swiss tool... He's the type that has every cent, already spent, and has owned them all.. thats the one he stuck with... And he gave very poor reviews to the gerber multi-tools, said he had seen many of them brought back in with the end of the pliers broke off... defect? weak steal? who knows... Swisstool would prolly suit your catburgularing around best :o just kidding :D hehe

For general all-around just-in-case type use something like a Leatherman Wave would be a good choice.

Or for something a little smaller and lighter compare the Wave with the Juice Xe6. The Juice Xe6 has pretty much the same tools in a smaller, lighter package -- and it has a corkscrew which may or may not be a requirement of yours. :o

I have a Leatherman that has a small fork and a butter knife. Comes in pretty handy for spreading tuna on crackers or eating canned sardines or smoked oysters. I used the pliers on the Leatherman once to repair a friend's frame pack, and another time to fix a zipper on a tent, so you never know when you will need a certain tool. I was glad to have it along.

My pointy appliances are listed in the Knife thread, and you'll see there I have a canape knife too. Truth be told, I also have a cute fork, knife, and spoon set with happy faces that I stole from the kids and leave in my food bag in the vehicle. My Leatherman PST also stays in the vehicle, in the glove box. It comes out more often than the tools that rattle around inside the toolbox (trying to get out).

The multi-tool that does get out on trail is the Leatherman Squirt. Small enough to be keychained in daily use, or slid into the jeans coin pocket, or the fanny pack, or the camelback. The pliers have been used to tug a zipper slider into alignment, unknot a knot, pull out microcache containers, and open other containers. The blade does not lock into a detent, and I don't like that, but it can cut cord or first aid tape.

Sometimes I'll bring my SA Spartan for old times sake, and for the corkscrew. As a former trained winemaker and brewer, I don't need someone saying, "What, you can't open a bottle?" I also carry a keychain church key that looks like Signal the Frog :laughing:

I found this old thread I had started in 2004 that has many recommendations in it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=64128

Please note that in one post I evaluate the Leatherman Wave I bought, but the Wave model has been upgraded quite a lot since then.

I'm not sure I would call the revisions an upgrade... I used the original Wave daily at work for about 5 years and I really didn't like the change to the modular screwdrivers when I replaced it with the newer version. Maybe not so relevant for hiking, but I lost 2 screwdrivers that I used all the time and got back one that I never used.

Has this happened ever to you on a hike?

I guess nobody plans on getting into problems when out hiking, but people still carry torches (flashlights) on a day hike and emergency blankets etc..

That's slightly different. Emergency blankets are for protection from cold, which is a regular, common threat if you stay in the woods overnight. Flashlights help with darkness (which happens every night). People trapped in barbed wire, on a trail? I don't know...

In other words, I would look into solving 95% of possible threats, not the 0.05%. If you wanted to cover all of the esoteric ones, you would run out of storage space in the backpack.

Unless you just want to buy a multi-tool, and you're looking for an excuse to get it. That, of course, is a fine reason.

Only some a little faster than others... :(

a095.gif

Edited by hwyhobo

I come across barbed wire all the time. I've thought about carrying one of these in case I'm the one who gets caught.

You can be prepared, and you can be overprepared. Where you are on that scale depends on your point of view.

I come across barbed wire all the time.

My question was, what was the last time you saw a person or an animal trapped in barbed wire on a hike?

And my reply was that I'd like to have a tool along in case I become trapped in barbed wire. That worries me a whole lot more than maybe coming across a stranger or animal trapped.

I am guessing there is not a lot of barded wire where you hike?

Edited by Nishnabotna

Actually, I run into a LOT of barbed wire along the trails here in Wisconsin (farms with dairy cattle, ya know). It is a hazard, but not sure a multi-tool will help. A sharp eye and a current tetanus booster is the ticket. The stuff I run into is pretty heavy gage -- not sure the wire cutters on most multi-tools will help if you get really tangled.

All the various knifes and multi tools are compromises. All depends on what you need most I suppose. Of all the parts that gotta work, in my book, the knife is the most important, a lot of my judgement is based on whether the knife will do the job. For day hikes, it needs to be small.

I have a couple of the Leathermen (the classic with the pliers and a micra which has a small scissors.) Also have had a SAK and continue to use my Scout knife.

For myself, the Leatherman micra is easily the most practical. If the blade on the micra wasn't so dang small, I would say that it was perfect. It has a scissors, tweezers (for thorns, slivers and ticks), a couple of screw driver blades (we have the occasional cache that requires tools to get in), and a file (to repair fingernails after prying a log from a nano). The back end has a ruler. It is a very compact unit.

The classic Leatherman is too much for day hikes and geocaching, though the knife blade is something else: wicked sharp and very generous size for a folding knife.

The blade on the SAK is a little smaller than I like (while the overall unit can be pretty bulky). It is also stainless, so putting an edge on can be a project. In heaven, I suspect I will be reunited with all the lost tweezers and tooth picks (along with my socks, gloves and sunglasses!)

The blade on the Scout knife is just about right. My knife has a carbon steel blade (the BSA has dabbled in SS) that holds an edge and can be honed VERY sharp in a jif. Of course the awl and the can opener aren't meaningful for a day hike (the screw driver/bottle opener comes in handy). Not sure if the BSA still does the classic Scout knife -- last time I perused a catalog, most of the knives were Victorinox SAKs with the Scout emblem.

And my reply was that I'd like to have a tool along in case I become trapped in barbed wire. That worries me a whole lot more than maybe coming across a stranger or animal trapped.

You may have noticed I was replying to someone else who specifically talked about helping someone caught in barbed wire.

And no, I do not worry about getting entangled in barbed wire on the trail. To be honest, I am not sure I can imagine a situation in which that would be a worry for me. But, since you're saying this is a concern for you, then by all means, you should have an appropriate tool with you.

I bought the Leatherman Super Tool when it first came out and later added the tool kit, it stays in the glove box except when I go hiking or hunting. Later I got the Micra which is on my key king. Between them both they seem able to do a lot of things, maybe not well or fast but they do work when I am in a jam.

I have field dressed, skinned and quartered a moose with my Super Tool when my partner forgot his knife purchased for this trip., damm hard on the hand though

I carry a Leatherman Wave.

I have used the saw, scissors, the screwdrivers, the file, and I've cut wire. About the only thing I haven't used is the can opener.

The Skeletool look very interesting. Considering how much I've used the tools of the Wave that are missing on the Skeletool, I think I could give them up on a tool that sits on my hip. The Charge TTi looks even more capable than the Wave with less weight.

If I could have only one tool in a survival situation, it'd probably be the Charge TTi.

Looking at my Leatherman Super Tool which I bought because of the pliers/wire cutter combo, yes I do use them a lot, pliers most though. I also make good use of the serrated blade, the can opener gets used a lot, the Philips screwdriver a fair bit, the small straight one is used least and the saw has been used often. Once to cut a 2 x 4 when the back of a seat broke off when 4 wheeling. The file has been used seldom but the medium and large straight screwdrivers get used a lot, the awl is used a bit and most used of course is the regular blade. Oh yes I have used the ruler occasionally as well. Often wished the file was removable and had a diamond hone on one side.

As far as Im concerned you have to be a moron to get tangled in barb wire. I grew up on a farm and spent long summer days fencing with the stuff. The only time I have seen an animal tangled in the wire is in winter months when the snow is deep. You really would have a hard time getting yourself traped in the stuff. The more likely thing to happen is you rip your cloths or cut your skin. If you are wanting to cut barb wire you would have to be desprate to do it with a leatherman type tool. I have done it once just to see if I could and it ruined the wire cutters. If you need to cut the wire get fencing pliers. My opinion you would be much better off putting a few bandaids and swabs in your pocket vs a multi-tool

As far as Im concerned you have to be a moron to get tangled in barb wire. I grew up on a farm and spent long summer days fencing with the stuff. The only time I have seen an animal tangled in the wire is in winter months when the snow is deep. You really would have a hard time getting yourself traped in the stuff. The more likely thing to happen is you rip your cloths or cut your skin. If you are wanting to cut barb wire you would have to be desprate to do it with a leatherman type tool. I have done it once just to see if I could and it ruined the wire cutters. If you need to cut the wire get fencing pliers. My opinion you would be much better off putting a few bandaids and swabs in your pocket vs a multi-tool

OK, I'm a moron!

The trouble isn't running into intact fences. It is with old abandoned fences where the wire is on the ground and hidden in brush or in snow. Always amusing are the trees that grow up around and engulf barbed wire.

And then there are the occasional bundles of barbed wire that are rolled up and forgotten.

A lot of our suburban parks are alongside old dairy farms and railroad ROW that have these old fences. Kind of agree -- if you tangle with that nonsense, pretty sure you won't be thinking about which pocket your multi-tool is in. The only thing that I have found the wire-cutters on the Leatherman useful for is dis-arming nuclear bombs (remember, always cut the red wire first!) :anibad:

If you seriously need to cut heavy wire, you might look into one of those surplus eastern European AK47 bayonets with the scabbard that turns the knife into a wire cutter. A big knife can cut small limbs for a fire, can be used for digging, etc... Just be sure a knife that size is legal to carry in your area. Most multitools would be hard pressed to cut actual barbed wire unless you have a lot of hand strength or only need to make one cut.

OK, I'm a moron!

The trouble isn't running into intact fences. It is with old abandoned fences where the wire is on the ground and hidden in brush or in snow. Always amusing are the trees that grow up around and engulf barbed wire.

No I had just invisioned you ment crossing a barbed wire fence that was intact and you got intangled. I have to say this left a great visual in my mind

And then there are the occasional bundles of barbed wire that are rolled up and forgotten.

I still think yo are ok, the problem I find is when its fresh off a coil and you try to stretch it out. If the other end let go it acts like a slinky and then your in trouble. But then again there is a difference between working with it and just comming across it

A lot of our suburban parks are alongside old dairy farms and railroad ROW that have these old fences. Kind of agree -- if you tangle with that nonsense, pretty sure you won't be thinking about which pocket your multi-tool is in. The only thing that I have found the wire-cutters on the Leatherman useful for is dis-arming nuclear bombs (remember, always cut the red wire first!) :)

Yeah I think your best bet is bandaids :anibad: Like I said I was able to cut it with a leatherman but it was not easy and I would not want to try and cut the wire more than once. But againg now I see you as having a big mess of wire around you. Maybe I just have an over active imagination!

I couldn't imagine either getting caught in barbed wire so bad as to need a tool or trying to use a multitool to cut it with.

I believe the wire cutters on a Leatherman is meant for electrical wire for the soft stuff and wire fishing leader, fishing hooks, and safety wire for the hard stuff. I don't think it's for infiltrating enemy compounds.

The OP asked for advise on multitools, not whether they are good for anything. "Anything" is defined by the user.

I usually take 4 tools/knives when heading in deep...

Leatherman e302 knife, by far the most useful knife / tool I have ever owned.

Leatherman Super Tool (the original)

Gerber Suspension multi-tool

old buck lockback with 4" blade

Not much else I would ever need.

Im looking for a multi tool to carry in my backpack when out hiking.

Most of the leatherman tools seem to focus on pliers, and ive no need for them ( i think)

Things i may need, Knife,scissors,saw,wire cutter.

Any recomendations ?

thanks

If you think you need one then look at the CRKT Zilla Tool. I have been hikeing/backpacking for 20 years and carried a multi-tool for the first few trips, I never found a need for one on a long distance trip so I quit carrying one. They wind up being dead weight in your pack. As some have already said in this thread most of the tools in a multi-tool are useless in the woods. Your much better off carrying some combination of chopping/cutting tool.

If you seriously need to cut heavy wire, you might look into one of those surplus eastern European AK47 bayonets with the scabbard that turns the knife into a wire cutter. A big knife can cut small limbs for a fire, can be used for digging, etc... Just be sure a knife that size is legal to carry in your area. Most multitools would be hard pressed to cut actual barbed wire unless you have a lot of hand strength or only need to make one cut.

:rolleyes: ,,,, do some people still think it's a good idea to use a knife to dig with??? :) Remind me to never let you borrow my knife. :)

:D ,,,, do some people still think it's a good idea to use a knife to dig with??? :D Remind me to never let you borrow my knife. :D

In a pinch... any tool you have on hand will work providing you can break the ground with it, and a knife is a good starter.

:D ,,,, do some people still think it's a good idea to use a knife to dig with??? :D Remind me to never let you borrow my knife. :D

In a pinch... any tool you have on hand will work providing you can break the ground with it, and a knife is a good starter.

If ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

michelle

If ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

michelle

For that purpose, I carry a plastic shoehorn gotten gratis from the shoe store. Weighs less than a trowel, and costs nothing to replace. In a bad pinch, I guess I'd dig with a knife, but the soil would be softened by bitter tears. Can't stand to abuse good gear.