Considerate Muggles

I'm sure that this topic or something similar has come up before, but here goes.

One of our older caches (and our most frequelty visited) is a MKH on a seemingly random and old guardrail. One time when driving by, I noticed that there was construction, and the guardrail had been removed. I figured that the cache was long gone and meant to archive it, but got sidetracked and forgot. A few days later, I got a notification that he cache had been logged. Sceptical, I drove the 15 minutes to check and was surprised to find a brand new guardrail, with the original cache ,replaced exactly as it had been in the older guardrail.

Any similar experiences?

I'm sure that this topic or something similar has come up before, but here goes.

One of our older caches (and our most frequelty visited) is a MKH on a seemingly random and old guardrail. One time when driving by, I noticed that there was construction, and the guardrail had been removed. I figured that the cache was long gone and meant to archive it, but got sidetracked and forgot. A few days later, I got a notification that he cache had been logged. Sceptical, I drove the 15 minutes to check and was surprised to find a brand new guardrail, with the original cache ,replaced exactly as it had been in the older guardrail.

Any similar experiences?

I saw the same thing at this cache. The road crew removed the cache from the guardrail, and left it there.

I just returned from checking a cache of mine that has been out there for 3 years. Everytime the Park grounds crew clears out the ground cover in that area they leave the cache in place, this has occured 4X.

Another large cache of mine was removed by a company who cleared out a small area near a bus stop and placed benchs and landscaping for their employees. The last thing to go in was my very large Hide in plain sight cache. Ya gotta love it!

I found a cache recently that had been relocated by a road worker. He noticed that his grader disturbed the cache placed along a mountain fireroad. He logged his apology for disturbing the cache and replacing it a short distance from its original location, so I guess we had to forgive him. :)

I had a medium sized cache magnetically attached to the underside of a park bench and the painters painted over it. I assume they did not even see it, so this is not EXACTLY in keeping with the theme, but cool nonetheless.

But maybe they did and decided it needed a bit better camo job ...

Jim

A friend of mine had a bison tube cache in an old fence post. When the rangers tore down the old fences and put up new fence they drilled a hole in the corner post (as close to the old spot as possible) and put the bison in the hole! Did it at both the north and south trail heads (5 miles apart).

I'm glad they did that instead of the hider.

:)

I was making a maint visit for a cache of mine when I was approached by an elderly gentleman. He asked me if I was looking for that box. When I said yes, he explained that his son-in-law found it a few weeks earlier and brought it home (home was a few hundred yards away). When they opened it and read the geo-letter, they figured out what it was and he returned it to it's hiding place.

He said "I'm keeping an eye on it for you. "If anybody messes with it, they have to mess with me". I guess it was nice to have my very own cache guardian.

I'm glad they did that instead of the hider.

Yes, drilling half inch holes in brand new fence posts is definitely poor form for a geocacher, but somehow when the rangers do it to salvage the hide, it's pretty cool.

I'd forgotten about my Chassa Swampa hide. I got an email that it was missing, disabled it. Then several weeks later an email from Groundspeak - someone had found the cache on the trail, took the time to follow up on the website and use the contact@geocaching.com email to send an email with the GCxxxx number. GSP in turn contacted me, and I was able to go up and retrieve my ammo can from a reality office. It takes a bit of doing to get to the point of contacting GSP from just the www.geocaching.com on the standard stash note. I was (am) impressed.

If you scroll down to the October 2007 logs you can see the story there.

I've never had one replaced like the ones above but I have had muggles find a cache. It's the final in a series of 6 and it's a .50 cal ammo can fitted with a combination lock. The muggles were intrigued by the container and the identifying label on the outside. The checked out geocaching.com, made accounts, found the first 5 in the series, and then returned to open the final. They are still caching.

I also found a cache up on the canyon rim one time that had been found by various muggles. It was a beautiful day and it was my 100th cache find. I sat on the side of the hill in the sunshine and read the logs. It seems that the local university uses this area for some of the geology students to study the strata. The cache had been found at least 3 times by students who had written nice entries in the log and then replaced the cache in its hiding spot. I'd consider them pretty considerate muggles. Here's my log for the cache:

[begin cut and paste]

icon_smile.gif October 8, 2005 by Thrak (1344 found)

I chose this one to be my 100th cache. I found my first cache on August 8th and today is October 8th so I figured it was a good day to hit 100.Excellent weather for a great hike. Nice spot for the cache. Log shows it has been found 3 or 4 times by non-caching college students who are studying geology. Each time they made entries and signed the log and then replaced it properly. Very cool.

T - 2 quarters and the 1905 Indian Head Penny (YES!!!)

L - Geode (rock) from a cache called Geode-Caching in Idaho. It should glow under black light. Also left a heavy-duty 4-digit programmable combination padlock. Includes the tool to set the combination and instructions on how to do it.

TFTC

[End cut and paste]