Trying Geocaching

I found my first 500 caches without any mapping software - it is totally optional. Even though my unit had a simplistic basemap - I never used while Geocaching.

Load the coordinates of where you want to go and a compass screen will point the way.

An awful lot of caches have been found with that unit and its predecessor.

Edited by StarBrand

But in driving to the cache area does the etrexh show you when to turn on roads so you can get to the area of the cache?

Sorry for stupid questions. just not sure how it would work in the car?

Once you get let's say within .25 miles of a cache the Etrex H will work just as well as any other unit. Getting you from your house to within .25 miles of a cache is another story. The Etrex H will be pretty useless in that regard. You are going to have to use google earth or similar programs to get you within the general area of the cache. Once you are close to the cache just use the compass arrow to find it. I have a car unit and a handheld. once I get close with the car i basically just use the compass screen to find the cache.

But in driving to the cache area does the etrexh show you when to turn on roads so you can get to the area of the cache?

Sorry for stupid questions. just not sure how it would work in the car?

Once you get let's say within .25 miles of a cache the Etrex H will work just as well as any other unit. Getting you from your house to within .25 miles of a cache is another story. The Etrex H will be pretty useless in that regard. You are going to have to use google earth or similar programs to get you within the general area of the cache. Once you are close to the cache just use the compass arrow to find it. I have a car unit and a handheld. once I get close with the car i basically just use the compass screen to find the cache.

Not really...

The compass will point the way even from hundreds of miles. You do a lot more guessing on what roads to take but that sometimes can be a fun part of the challenge. Like I siad - I found my first 500 without the benefit of any mapping.

It won't have turn by turn directions but it will tell you how far and in what direction.

If you use Firefox there is a great little Greasemonkey script called "More Maps". Install Greasemonkey and the script and enter your home coordinates. It adds a link in the Maps area of the cache page. I named my home coordinates "Thrak's House" so I have a link that says "Directions From Thrak's House". I click on it and it gives me driving directions to the cache site. Works great. I use it when looking at new caches to see where they are. For driving there I do use CityNavigator but, if I didn't have it, the driving directions from the script work great.

You can get geocaching related Greasemonkey scripts HERE

Edited by Thrak

I see if I copy the cordinates into Gogle earth it will give me directions from my home to with in a block of the cache, so than can't I use my GPS to get to the cache? :)

With the Etrex H can you manual enter cordinates with the butons and then save it?

Edited by brad9920